General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone used this oil pressure gauge from HD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012 | 11:38 PM
Ragtop
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Anyone used this oil pressure gauge from HD?

Looking for comments from folks who have installed this rocker box mounted oil pressure gauge from HD PN 75133-99.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

I would really like to keep an eye on my pressure, do you guys actually
think it's beneficial to have one of these? Any issues or problems that anyone has had with this setup, please chime in and let me know.
I'm not one for too many gauges and gizmo's, but this one seems important enough to have it on my scoot.
thanks guys!

Old 03-21-2012 | 12:15 AM
baldric
Road Warrior

Have one on my 04 Dyna. Like it, took some getting use to when new due to its position on the bike. Now that ive had it a few years it does'nt rub my inner thigh as I changed my leg position. I use forward controls. Factory gauge lasted about a year and half then needed to be replaced. Up here I could not get the gauge seperate, would of had to buy the whole kit. Went after market I'll be curious to see how long this one lasts.
Don't over tighten the hose fittings go finger tight and then 1/8th turn or you'll bugger the fittings also make sure the hose is inserted completely into the furrels before you tighten them.

Old 03-21-2012 | 12:19 AM
desertrideryz
Road Warrior

http://www.jerzeecustoms.com/HDOilTrimKitTC.htm. got one like this better than Harley's It has braided lines instead of of plastic.

Last edited by desertrideryz; 03-21-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-21-2012 | 12:22 AM
Rick's Ultra
Road Master
Thumbs up

I had one on my 03 Softail and made some mods to it. I got some Earls high pressure stainless braided line and new fittings as I didn't feel comfortable with that little plastic tube. I like being able to look down and know that the oil pump was doing its job!

I pulled the air temp gage out of my ultra and replaced it with an oil temp gage. I like knowing what the engine is doing when I am riding. Too many year in the Navy checking parameters of ships equipment.

Old 03-21-2012 | 12:24 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by baldric
Have one on my 04 Dyna. Like it, took some getting use to when new due to its position on the bike. Now that ive had it a few years it does'nt rub my inner thigh as I changed my leg position. I use forward controls. Factory gauge lasted about a year and half then needed to be replaced....
I would think that the engine vibes would contribute to gauge failures. They probably last longer on Softail's (B-Motor).

Old 03-21-2012 | 12:40 AM
baldric
Road Warrior

I can pretty well put money on that vibration killed the gauge. Some gauges have pulsation/vibration dampners built in although I can't say as I have seen one that small with them. A consumable part like a spark plug I guess although you can go through a pile of gauges for the cost of an engine rebuild or even a wiped bearing.

Old 03-21-2012 | 01:11 AM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

I was thinking about one myself but I just changed my mind

Last edited by 6 gun; 03-21-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2012 | 01:48 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by baldric
I can pretty well put money on that vibration killed the gauge. Some gauges have pulsation/vibration dampers built in although I can't say as I have seen one that small with them. A consumable part like a spark plug I guess although you can go through a pile of gauges for the cost of an engine rebuild or even a wiped bearing.
It's an Oil Filled Gauge. This is done in gauges to dampen the Needle fluctuations. It also probably adds some protection to the bourdon tube and Needle mechanicals. Use baby oil to refil and/or replace when/if needed.

The real issue with these gauges is not the gauge but the line you run to the engine. The stock plastic line is a serious problem; looking for a very bad place and time to happen. The fitting on the gauge is NPT threads and any AN fittings are . . . well . . . AN threads. As a result, you have to either make an NPT/AN adapter at the gauge (which IMHO is not exactly a clean installation) or have a custom line made for it. In the end, the line will cost as much or more than the gauge. That said is IS nice to have the gauge.

Old 03-21-2012 | 02:01 AM
Ragtop
|
Ultimate HDF Member

thanks guys I think I'll go with the jerzecustoms, much nicer setup.
The HD one has nothing to hide the bottom of the gauge, no cup, no shield,
and the fittings look much better on the jerzee ones, something that is very important to me, I don't want no plastic tube down there to fail on the road somewhere, especailly where it's so close to the jug. Glad I asked instead of just going off 1/2 cocked, and buying the first one I saw. Guess I'm getting more patient in my old age. haha
That's why this place is so great, you can bounce things like this off thousands of people. Your destined to get the right advise if enough people reply ..
Thanks!!!

Old 03-21-2012 | 02:02 AM
Ragtop
|
Ultimate HDF Member

duplicate

Quick Reply: Anyone used this oil pressure gauge from HD?