General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats the point of the fit shop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 AM
AladinSane
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the point of the fit shop?

I go to the Fit Shop at the dealer were I bought my bike. I am thinking wow, this fit shop thing is a good idea. I can try seats and other parts before I buy. They do not have the seat I am interested in.

Parts Dude 'No big deal, we can order it.'

Me 'this is great, if I do not like it I can return it to your Fit Shop.'

Parts Dude ' pretty cool huh? It's only a 20% restocking fee. We will put it in the fit shop if you return it.'

Me 'so the point of your Fit Shop is to get people to buy the Sundowner Seat from you because that is the only one you have in it?'

Parts Dude 'you like the Sundowner?'

Me ' the sound of my boots walking out the door.'

Once again, another really good idea very poorly executed. One reason I bought a Harley was because of the supposed dealer support. Man was I wrong.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:57 AM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd try a different dealer. When I ordered my Sundowner from my dealer, they told me to try it for a day or 2 and if I didn't like it, I could exchange it for a different one - no restocking fee or anything like that.

I liked it...

Old 03-20-2012, 11:24 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherBlackSG
I'd try a different dealer. When I ordered my Sundowner from my dealer, they told me to try it for a day or 2 and if I didn't like it, I could exchange it for a different one - no restocking fee or anything like that.

I liked it...
But you still have to buy a seat from them.

I know of a dealer that will let you rent a seat ($10/day I believe) if you buy a seat that $10 goes towards the purchase. Not a bad deal.

A good dealer will do as advertised. Loan you a seat top try, then you return it. Buy one if you like it, if you don't like it don't buy one. I believe that Harley has a new program for trial seats that works this way.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:42 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Anything To Get You Thru The Door

The fit shop is just another tool in the dealers arsenal. When executed properly it can give you a "feel" for what your bike MIGHT feel like. Personally, I always prefered to sit on all the used bikes that they had in stock to see what felt good or not. Until you get the part installed on your bike and rack up a few miles with it, you'll never know for sure.

I started off one day in the fit shop and ended up plopping myself down on a bunch of used bikes. Unsure about what to do next, I was starting to walk out when one of the salesmen watching approached me asking what I had been looking for. I explained that I had changed out bars and seat and that IMO it just wasn't quite there yet. He immediately suggested trying out a backrest. He walked me back over to a couple of used bikes with both the adjustable and non-adjustable backrests and I ended up walking out with an adjustable set up for myself.

EVERY time I go back, I make a point of seeking out that salesman, thanking him and doing my business thru him. It depends on the dealer and salesman as to how much help they can be. I don't expect to hit a home run every time I try a change but a decent batting average is reasonable.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with Jeffrydsilver. I have gotten more from just going to the dealer and scoping out the pre owned bikes that have mods done to them.

Personally I think it's BS that you should have to buy another seat rather than having the ability to just get the bike with the seat that best works for you. This may seem like a stretch argument but the fact is that the majority of stock Harley seats are not just bad, they are horrible. It's almost like they are intentionally made to feel like **** and in most cases, to look like it as well.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:16 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

was because of the supposed dealer sup was because of t was because of the supposed dealer suppohe supposed dealer s was because of the supposed dealer suppouppopo was becaus was because of the supposed dealer suppoe of the supposed dealer suppo was because of the supposed

Yea;that's about right. What happens when your "paste" finger gets spazzed out.

Last edited by dickey; 03-20-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The point of the fit shop and dealership in general is to get as much money out of you as possible.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

Dickey, did you tale too many of those little pills again? haHA

Old 03-20-2012, 01:38 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AladinSane
Once again, another really good idea very poorly executed. One reason I bought a Harley was because of the supposed dealer support. Man was I wrong.
Ever been in a Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki store? You just described a lot more support than I've ever seen in those.

There aren't that many variations of seat, anyhow. If stock is too high work, you can get a close/reach seat and I recommend one from Corbin, not Harley - better quality and maybe $100-150 used. If you are too tall, extended reach forward controls. There are a lot more possibilities with handlebars.

Last edited by brenn; 03-20-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:57 PM
randayn
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
was because of the supposed dealer sup was because of t was because of the supposed dealer suppohe supposed dealer s was because of the supposed dealer suppouppopo was becaus was because of the supposed dealer suppoe of the supposed dealer suppo was because of the supposed

Yea;that's about right. What happens when your "paste" finger gets spazzed out.
Sounds more like u were sniffing GLUE. That splains alot.

Quick Reply: Whats the point of the fit shop?