General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:31 PM
lateralus
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmets

I will be ordering my bike in a week or so, so I am shopping for helmets. What are some that you guys are wearing and do you like them? What are your thoughts about full face? Thats kind of what I'm looking at but my brother keeps trying to convince me I would look stupid with a full face helmet unless I was on a crotch rocket.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:35 PM
mswmn
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lateralus
I will be ordering my bike in a week or so, so I am shopping for helmets. What are some that you guys are wearing and do you like them? What are your thoughts about full face? Thats kind of what I'm looking at but my brother keeps trying to convince me I would look stupid with a full face helmet unless I was on a crotch rocket.
I guarantee you will be directed to check out the numerous threads on this doing a search. Having said that, I wear the Bell Custom 500 3/4. Best helmet I've ever had.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Dirtball
Tourer

I have a full face Fulmer. I like it for those cold days and if I desire to ride in the rain. For everyday wear, I have a 1/2 helmet I bought from the local HD dealer. It has a flip down sun visor. I like it for comfort and the visor for the times the sun is in my eyes or the wind bothers my eyes. Plus I work on a military installation and cannot ride to work with just regular glasses on.

When I shopped for a helmet, I listened to what others perferred, went to the dealer and tried on just about every style of helmet. I bought what felt comfortable on me and disregarded what others told me. Ultimately, it is your life and you have to be comfortable with your decision.

I hope that helps you some.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:44 PM
KOBRA883
Tourer

I say full face is good for cooler weather..

Old 03-19-2012, 06:48 PM
KW-HD Rider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have just bought a Nolan N43E trilogy which is a convertible which the chin portion is removable. So far. Very comfortable and quiet. I moved from 3/4 helmets so I can have one helmet and have full face for highway and covert to 3/4 for around town when needed. Just my 2 pennies make sure the helmet fits your head shape or you will hate any helmet. Wear it for a while in store or buy online from vendor that allows at least 1 free size swap.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Havic08
Tourer

I recently got the new Shoei Neotec Modular. Ya it is expensive but so far its the best helmet I have worn I prefer modular so I can pop it up when stopped and lower riding. It has built sun visor and eyeglass channels. Its quiet and very comfortable.

It really depends on what you like, like the poster above stated. Goto the HD dealer and try on all the helmets and see which one you like.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 PM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Depends on what you are comfortable with, what you are used to and what you will be riding, will you use a windshield or go without, do you feel sporty or not, would you feel unprotected with less than a FF or not. Having come from sport bikes, I've never worn anything but a FF, tried on a few open face in the shops - after about the 3rd one I knew I could never wear one and pulled out the yellow Arai Colin Edwards I had in the closet and got another Arai in Black later on but I still wear the yellow lid when its warmer and I don't give a crap what anyone thinks.......I like them and that's all that matters.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:36 PM
teflon
Road Captain

Did the same thing got off my rocket and sat on the Harley, the full face only comes out if the weather is terrible and i have no choice, usually just grab the 1/2 or beanie and go. Depends also on your safety preferences! Ralph

Old 03-19-2012, 07:49 PM
tripn88
Road Warrior

get a licks 3/4 and never look back! and who cares if you look stupid with a full face its your head your taking care of!!!!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:01 PM
metalhead0215
Tourer

Ive got a FF Scorpion exo700. Was the most comfortable one I tried on. Try not to let anyone talk you into wearing something you don't feel comfortable riding in. It's your head your trying to protect.

Quick Reply: Helmets