General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

A good place to check reviews of the helmets out there:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Be sure to try on a LOT of different helmets. Visit every dealer around, including the "metric" shops, BMW, Triumph, etc.

Just replaced my old Shoei X-SP with a new Arai Signet-Q. As nice as they come....

Old 07-12-2012, 12:13 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 278 Posts

Was wearing a Nolan modular (saved me in a deer impact) but just bought a Silver Schuberth C3 modular and used a heat gun to pull all the stickers except the DOT one off...it's a very expensive helmet but lighter and smaller than the Nolan and was fine yesterday in 85 degree weather on the highway...remember though; no need to spend more than the contents are worth.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:21 AM
Kazu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll never go without a full face. Even in Florida with no Helmet laws I still rode with one. I've been in 2 accidents in 7 years. Both times I was hit from behind. However the one that kept my faith in helmet was when I was riding down the freeway going 60mph. A jacked up Hill billy decided he'd not bother looking in his forward blind spots. Nailed my rear tire as he merged into my lane sending me flying across 2 lanes of traffic and sliding down the road for a few hundred feet.

My helmet was torn up from front, to back. If I'd not been wearing a full face..I might have lived to tell the tale, but I would more then likely be a terrible mess of scaring and facial damage.

So Full face all the way! And, I like the new line of Bell Star. I've got one of their top tier with a transitional lens. So I can ride day or night. If it's bright it goes super card, if it's night, it clears up perfected.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Afishinado
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I used to wear a 1/2 helmet when I had to, pretty much depended on my mood. Usually wore nothing. I always thought 1/2 helmets really look stupid, and the lets pretend crap is like why even bother?

Then the GF did a over-the-handlebars-faceplant during her MSFcourse, a full face saved her, she won't get on a bike without one. At Daytona this year we went to the helmet store and bought a pair of Nolan 104's (retractable), I put off wearing it at first, but as soon as I started I began to like it, now I feel like I'm riding in a car without a seat belt without it. Comfortable, light, WONDERFUL in the rain.

Last edited by Afishinado; 07-12-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 AM
TRICH911
Intermediate

I agree with the "wear what makes you comfortable and screw what other people think" camp..

I wear full face, just what I am used to and comfortable in...

Old 07-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lateralus
I will be ordering my bike in a week or so, so I am shopping for helmets. What are some that you guys are wearing and do you like them? What are your thoughts about full face? Thats kind of what I'm looking at but my brother keeps trying to convince me I would look stupid with a full face helmet unless I was on a crotch rocket.
i feel your pain man. my brother is gay sometimes too.

wear whatever you want. just a tip: white helmets are way cooler in summer.

i wear a full-face most of the time. i figure if its required (and it shouldn't be), i want the most protection i can get. but i also have a 3/4 with goggles that i wear for laughs now and then. its really up to you dude.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 587 Posts

When I started riding 30 years ago, I had a Bell Star. The couple of times that I got knocked off the bike, it save my face, especially the chin, cheeks and temple areas. There was a cute trick I could do with it. I always left the visor unsnapped. When I wanted the visor up while moving, I just turned my head and the wind would lift the visor into the up position. It was a great way to open the helmet while keeping both hands on the grips.

My current helmet is a Shoei J-Wing, which I think is a discontinued product line. Still, I like the 3/4 helmet although, I have to admit, I don't feel as safe as I did in those Bell Stars.

Once I cobble together enough money, I"ll probably go buy another Bell Star. 30 years ago, I paid about $100 for my Bell Star brand new. Now, those same helmets go for $600-$800.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 AM
SJ12DS
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I wear a Vega XTS in black leather

http://www.vegahelmet.com/xts.html
http://www.vegahelmet.com/images_str...ts_leather.jpg

and have for years now. It is a half helmet but it does not give you the mushroom look.

It has been a very comfortable helmet to wear for me.

I used to wear full face many years ago but never really liked the feeling and at night always got the halos from lights with the face shield.

Wear what you are comfortable and feel safe with.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:51 PM
fatbob123
Road Captain

Honestly is money no object you have two options -

Schuberth c3 is the best as they say " full face helmet with flip up technology "

Schuberth j1 open face - incredible

Blauer pilot open face - stunning bit of luxury open face helmet

All available directly from www.akb.ie

These guys don't do an on line shop but call them or email and they will do a cracking deal

Old 07-12-2012, 03:08 PM
USMAMule
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lateralus
thanks for all the opinions. I'm still set on a FF at first and like the idea of getting a half later on when it really warms up. I could see myself using a half more daily (i live in a fairly small town) and then save my FF for the highway trips.
That is exactly my division of labor. I have a 75 mile one way daily commute over mostly 2 lane and four lane highways that I do 3-4 times a week and always wear the Shoei RF-1100. EXCEPT that I pack my DOT Skid lid half helmet when I know it is going to be 95 degrees on the way home, and even then I wear the FF as long as I can stand it. I tend to wear the halfie around my little town with its 25 mph hour speed limit and ticket writing maniac po-po. LOL And yeah - rain at 40 mph feels like being hit in the face with pins. At 60 it feels like nails.

Wear what is comfortable for you. My FF is comfortable and fine at 30mph or above in all conditions up to the 95 degree point. And I just feel safer. It doesn't take much speed for asphalt to make hamburger of your face, not to mention the brain damage caused by even a 10 mile per hour impact with concrete - 10 mph x 8lbs (head weight) comes out to an 800 lb force blow to the head.

Not saying EVERYONE should do this or that. Just giving you my reasoning for not giving a @#$% about what people think of my FF with my Wide Glide.

Oh - and one more thing about full face helmets- different models and manufacturers have differed shapes - our heads range from ovals to circles to even triangular - so try Get the size that feels just slightly tight on you - they loosen up a bit with regular wear
Ride your own man. Ride your own.

USMAMule

Quick Reply: Helmets