General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a full face if you want it - even if you decide you don't want to wear it all summer, it's still good for rain or cold weather - nothing better. Once you decide you don't want to wear a FF when it's 100 degrees, go get a half - I have a plain black Vega or Zox that cost be about $35. I also have a novelty ACC carbon fiber and I just bought a NOS Shoei from the 60's or 70's, before DOT. And I don't even wear a helmet most of the time.

In short, buy whatever you want; you'll end up buying more anyhow.

Most harley riders, if they wear a helmet, wear a half, some wear a 3/4 and a very, very few wear full face. Of course, I live in a no-helmet state, so it may be different other places.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:33 PM
jwhardin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup. I have 8 or 10 helmets. You'll end up with several.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:49 PM
Baggs
Advanced
Default Just a suggestion.........

Get a helmet liner skull cap before you start trying on helmets. These things are cheap sweat soakers that you can rinse out in the sink on the road and wear them again the next day. They will keep you from stinkin' up the lining of yer new skid lid by absorbing the oils and persperation and making it easy to stay fresh. They also make for a nice pad to protect your head from protrusions and edges in the lining of the helmet.

Now when you go trying on lids you can wear yer liner and then get a feel for the size you may need? Liners are cheap enough to have a couple with ya on a road trip to alternate between.

As far as style and shape you will have to make that choice for yourself and don't be talked into a cheap no protection helmet. If you are gonna do that then get some nice looking handkerchiefs and tie em around yer head. A full face of quality (Arai, Shoei, etc.) make a nice quiet place to listen to tunes as you ride. Just buy some Emotyic ones and voila' no noise and you can hear the jukebox.

Baggs

Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 PM
lateralus
Tourer

thanks for all the opinions. I'm still set on a FF at first and like the idea of getting a half later on when it really warms up. I could see myself using a half more daily (i live in a fairly small town) and then save my FF for the highway trips.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lateralus
...my brother keeps trying to convince me I would look stupid with a full face helmet...
Whatever you do, don't listen to your brother or anyone else that is more concerned with how a helmet looks versus its ability to protect your head.

Try on a bunch of helmets and get the one that feels most comfortable for you and offers the amount of protection that you feel most comfortable with. If you're inclined to wear a FF helmet then by all means go with your original instincts. If you don't want to wear a helmet at all that fine too, but it needs to be your decision.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Slickster63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BELL 500 3/4 for me too ... really happy with it. stays put ... feels more secure than any 1/2 I've tried, but still lets you feel the breeze

Old 03-20-2012, 04:12 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Try This One Out!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:56 PM
lateralus
Tourer

^^ as long as I can find it under 10lbs I'll give it a shot!

Old 03-20-2012, 09:14 PM
delane
Tourer

I wear a Fulmer v2 with a bubble shield.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,640 Posts

I have three FF helmets & ride a Street Glide. This pic (not mine) is a visual of why FF helmets can be a good choice. Don't intend to start a helmet war...
Helmets-ff.jpg

Quick Reply: Helmets