General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aggressive riders only.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 11:57 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Aggressive riders only.

I have to wonder.
I know we're on bikes that are NOT exactly performance-oriented overall, and especially FatBoy/Heritage frames that scrape a corner if you just sneeze...but really:
How many of you tend to ride with the joy of pullin' her over to the boards in nearly every corner, push the sweepers like you were runnin' from the cops and generally just enjoy speed?
It seems like I keep losing riders and am limited to my VERY small group of like-minded friends (all 3 of 'em) when I'm not pulling in the reins to tolerate the geezer-gliders and flower sniffers when we're on a group/club run.

As an ex-dirt racer/Limey & sportster rider, I just tend to do what a bike wants to do - which is EXACTLY why I don't own a crotch rocket. Can't survive the tickets.
But I have put a 2 over fork on her, slug over the spring to keep the head up, darkside rear tire, and stage 1 effects with my own design adjustable baffle set for torque. She's more fun to ride now she doesn't feel like sitting on a toad. Head bolts welded under boards for sliders. Lean angles now very similar to a Sporty, one degree more on one side and 3 less on the other.

Last edited by Quadancer; 03-19-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,648 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Not me. I'm a flower sniffer.

I bought my bike for relaxation, not excitement. If I want excitement, I'll go to South St. Pete wearing a rebel flag T-shirt.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:16 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

You're a dime a dozen brotha. That's why the thread has the title it does. No offense, but I just wanted to talk to like mindsets.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:23 AM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speak for yourself lol Just kidding But I went with the V-rod just because of what you speak. I came from Dirt (Motocross) & SportsBike and took about a 14yr break . I always wanted a Harley but couldn't afford one back in the day. I took a few test rides and have to say even wanting to be on a slower paced ride and just cruise around I found many of them just lagging way to much or costing way to much to get any pep to them.

Now I would say 90% of the time I'm in 5th quick with feet up on the Forwards and Bikes rear lowered . But man that 10% when I move the feet back to the mids raise the rear for clearance and find me some twisties are so well worth it.

But be careful and let those sparks fly

Old 03-19-2012, 12:28 AM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I do like to drag my boards. Not all the time, not every corner, but often. It's why I've made handling upgrades to my bike, including Ohlins rear shocks, better tires, swingarm brace, etc. We've got a lot of very good riding right in my backyard, including some great rides up in the Cascade range, I'd be crazy to not take advantage of it.

And I love to ride fast. Everywhere I can.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:35 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I came off the race scene years ago but the style never really goes away does it? Last non-HD was a FJ1200 that was a pretty nice compromise but still entirely too fast for a guy like me that can't just take it easy. My FLHX goes brisk enough to keep me on my toes, corners ok, but cruises real good. I had to figure out a way to save me from myself and the FLHX was the best choice for me. Still had to raise it up a little, add Ohlins, stiffen the forks and about double the hp output. It's just fun, you know.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:39 AM
doer
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,681 Likes on 2,732 Posts

A little longer fork and suspension upgrade totally transformed my bike and made riding alot more fun. Suspension is the first thing I do for mods on any bike.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 AM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I like my bike for relaxation. Then there are days I ride my bike for an adrenaline rush. That's why I ride an FXR. The most versatile bike to ever come out of Milwaukee.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

More than once I've had a friend say that I ride like my hair is on fire. There are only one or two guys that I like to ride with, but I'm sure there are a lot of guys that don't want to ride with me. I actually don't think I ride that fast just faster than 90% of the Harley riders I know. Harleys handle better than people give them credit, but it takes a little more skill to ride them fast IMHO. Have had more than one "sport bike" rider look at me and say you really ride that bike hard. It's always been a kid and felt like telling him he needs to learn how to ride thats all. If I ever really slow down I mean a lot I think I'll buy a Miata.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:04 AM
caaraa
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speak for yourself lol Just kidding But I went with the V-rod just because of what you speak.

Quick Reply: Aggressive riders only.