General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

patches and rockers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:35 PM
JasonDeal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sadthorn
Yes you are. I can see where your coming from based on what you wrote, however I know his angle on it as well. It's untraditional to just create it and run with it. Would be safer wearing a H.O.G. patch instead. That guy was telling you how it really is. A great resource to check out is http://www.rcvsmc.net/ or just give him a call and learn what you can from him. Ride safe!
very informative link. thanks

Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you are. I can see where your coming from based on what you wrote, however I know his angle on it as well. It's untraditional to just create it and run with it. Would be safer wearing a H.O.G. patch instead. That guy was telling you how it really is. A great resource to check out is http://www.rcvsmc.net/ or just give him a call and learn what you can from him. Ride safe!
that is a really good link........

Last edited by Tripp_HPjunkie; 03-17-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:04 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do so many people have to mix riding their bike with making a statement? Then they want to use the same symbolism from another group to show their individuality. IDK, I just don't get any MC myself. The only ones that make any sense are the 1%ers. Their lifestyles aren't for me, but I respect them.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:15 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Probably a dumb question but don't you guys get any kind of vets patch from the government, if you serve in the British forces they give you a small enamel pin to wear, which some guys using the same design have enlarged into a back patch, personally I only wear the pin, and I only wear that encase I get pulled by the law figure it may help me out as a lot of police are x military .

Old 03-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Mouth
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until you actually join an MC you will never know.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I am not in an MC. I do not wear a bottom rocker. I don't wear any patches. But for self-preservation's sake, I try to maintain 'situational awareness' of the environment around me, which very often contains bikes, and bikers.

This same question, or one very much like it--"I'm not in an MC but why can't I wear a three-piece patch?" comes up a lot in Harley forums. The provided link explains a lot. The answer to the question is like many other things in this life, i.e., you can do whatever the hell you choose to do...but the time might come when you have to take responsibility for your choice. There's no 'right' or 'wrong' at that moment, just what you'll have to do to get by.

Regardless of what any of us thinks, or what is right in an absolute, moral sense, there's a general rule among MC clubs that only they will wear the bottom rocker, which is used to denote locale, or some would say 'turf'. As a general rule the clubs are 'serious' about this particular rocker, and are liable to assert their 'rights' in this regard. (Under certain circumstance even among themselves, if their patches represent different clubs).

My understanding is, if an MC member questions your right to wear a bottom rocker, it's not unusual for you to be asked to remove the garment bearing the rocker. If you refuse to comply, you might need to defend your choice, and right. It sounds to me like you were approached, issued 'notice', and let go your way... If it were me, a word to the wise would be sufficient...

It's cool I suppose to vent about this. But then, it would be wise to have read the included link, understand the rules, and remove the bottom rocker until such time as you are a member of a recognized club that sports such. That's what I'd do, out of respect for 'the rules'. And because I didn't want to be placed into a position to have to defend my position. I don't feel that strongly about it, for one thing. For another, I doubt I could defend the right sufficiently, if an MC took issue to me wearing a bottom rocker.

There are an infinite number of ways to represent individuality. To wear the same, precise style as that affected by an MC doesn't appear to be an attempt at individuality, but an attempt to emulate a member of an MC. It will be what it appears to be, to any casual observer.

If someone wants to wear a bottom rocker, and affect the trappings of an MC, one should endeavor to join an MC, go through the rights of initiation, accept, and be accepted by his 'brothers'. To stand alone, against all of this, might even be noble, representing a free, unfettered spirit. But it is also unwise, will be insulting to some and so potentially fraught with way too much drama (at least for gentle souls, in nearly worn-out bodies like mine).

I, too, thank you for your service. Where I work, veterans get either 5 or 10 'points' toward qualifying for a job, which generally puts them ahead of all others in the competition. This is a 'right' you get for being a vet. But there are certain other rights, e.g., a right to ignore speed limits on the highway, a right to disregard stop lights, a right to wear a bottom rocker... that don't come from having served. Some rights none of us will ever have. Some we have yet to earn...

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 03-17-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:33 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ever thought of joining a vets club? quite a few out there

Old 03-17-2012, 03:45 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
Why purposely dress to look like a veterans motorcycle club? If you want to express your love of country and those sworn to protect then why not wear Ol Glory and a Veteran banner below. Why rockers? I dont get it.

You can absolutely wear what ever you wish.
A Star of David in Damascus, a KKK hood in Watts, a US Flag in Tehran, a swastika in Tel Aviv. Hell you can wear a Yankees cap in Boston.

You just might have to explain why from time to time.
HAHA the Yankee cap in Boston sounds kinda dangerous HAHA=========================
Thanks for your service scootertrash but I would take the advice above.

Last edited by Blackfly; 03-17-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

In an ideal world you could wear what you want without some folk thinking they have more rights than you, but it isn't an ideal world and some of the MC's will take you down for it so why stir the pot? Take the higher ground and live a quieter life.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:13 PM
TheBig-O
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mi3ninos
Why purposely dress to look like a veterans motorcycle club? If you want to express your love of country and those sworn to protect then why not wear Ol Glory and a Veteran banner below. Why rockers? I dont get it.

You can absolutely wear what ever you wish.
A Star of David in Damascus, a KKK hood in Watts, a US Flag in Tehran, a swastika in Tel Aviv. Hell you can wear a Yankees cap in Boston.

You just might have to explain why from time to time.
Excellent ! You cut thru the BS into the heart of the matter . I enjoyed and understood your Yankee cap analogy . lol.

Quick Reply: patches and rockers