General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Willie G. Davidson retires after 49 years...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:03 AM
Johnny K
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Willie G has done great things for Harley, and we all have benefitted. He deserves all the laurels we can heap on his head.

However, one problem with becoming a "living legend" is that no one questions you anymore. It's like famous writers whose books get longer and more rambling because they don't need to listen to the editor, or rock stars who put out bloated solo albums because they don't listen to the producer or their bandmates anymore.

My guess is that if Willie G had an opinion, nobody in the design department was going to argue with him. That can stifle creativity.

So I'm kind of excited to see what the team can do without his huge shadow hanging over their heads. We might see some cool new stuff.

Also, I agree with Ockham's post - his retiring before the 110th anniversary is a bit fishy. Either some really pressing family or medical issue, some bad internal company politics, or MOCO wants to showcase the new leader and new products this summer.

It's gonna be interesting. And I hope we still see Willie from time to time - he's an irreplacable part of the Harley Legend.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Good luck to Mr. Davidson, you are an icon for sure.

To all the naysayers, I'm pretty sure you all ride Harleys, and you must like them, or you wouldn't be here. That being said, Mr. Davidson had a hand in some sort of the design work behind your bike (direct or indirect). You are showing him the respect by riding his bikes, now show him the respect here too.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 AM
cmichael
Grand HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Willie. This will lead to some interesting changes I am sure.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:54 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 711 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Scouser1
Isn't his son Bill Davidson in charge of advertising or something?
Scouser
Bill Davidson, Vice President of Core Customer Marketing and great-grandson of company co-founder, William A. Davidson, has been named Vice President of the Harley-Davidson Museum

Old 03-19-2012, 10:09 AM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To all the Willie G. haters.
You should thank the man and wish him well. He saved HD from going the way of Indian. While your at it thank Ronald Reagan.
Without the 2 of them the only Harleys that would be around would be 40 year old AMF shovels.
Im sure that would be fine with some of you. Not me.
And lets all hope that now that he has stepped aside the company doesnt go back to the ways of AMF.
Thank you Willie G.

Last edited by 09FLHT; 03-19-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 AM
VA Biker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Auckland
Why do so many HD riders bitch and moan about how much they hate their HD? Go buy a victory or BMW or Honda or build your own. Nobody is holding you back. I don't like chevys. I also don't ride around in one bitching about how much I hate it, because I didn't buy one.
Thank you. I never understood it either.

Ride on Willie. I have one Willie G skull on my bike. I didnt want it until I heard a few guys say how much they hate them LOL.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:08 AM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 683 Likes on 333 Posts

when I saw him last up close (well - kinda close - he was on stage at the montgomery gentry concert - d@mn that was a loud concert - hehe) at the 2007 hog down home rally in knoxville, i couldnt help but think how old and frail he looked, but how energized and happy and upbeat he was at the same time. i hope he has a long and peaceful retirement -

Last edited by panheadache; 03-19-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:47 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I just wonder if they didn't give him a choice, yannno, retire or get fired.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm retired and available to take over the job of senior vice president and chief styling officer of the Harley Davidson Company vacated by Willie G.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:52 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Hog
I'm retired and available to take over the job of senior vice president and chief styling officer of the Harley Davidson Company vacated by Willie G.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US

Quick Reply: Willie G. Davidson retires after 49 years...