General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Willie G. Davidson retires after 49 years...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 03:00 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,229 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by Nellybelle
Congratulation Willie, I am sure you earned it. No naysayer comments from me.
I agree. After 49 years at the same job, both my body and mind would be fried. I have only been at mine half that time and I am almost well done.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Things cook faster down in Brownwood.LOL

Old 03-17-2012, 10:23 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
I'd like to see HD broaden it's product line to begin to introduce water cooled cruisers. Maybe with Willie G retired it will go that route and then again, maybe not. I don't want to see the air cooled engines go away, but it would be nice to add a couple bikes...maybe a stripped down cruiser like the Softail or Dyna and a tourer...with water cooled engines with a bit more power.
Two terms that should never be uttered when talking Harley Davisdon: "water cooled" and "cruiser". Now, if you're talking about jap bikes, those terms apply.

Last edited by warrconn; 03-17-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:52 PM
randayn
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by warrconn
Two terms that should never be uttered when talking Harley Davisdon: "water cooled" and "cruiser". Now, if you're talking about jap bikes, those terms apply.
Now, Really. I heard Harley- Davidson might come out with a new Water Cooled Cruiser, they might call it a V Rod. NO WAY!

That's just what I heard. I know it does sound crazy.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:11 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think anyone would classify the V-ROD as a cruiser.
Cruise: To go or move along, especially in an unhurried or unconcerned fashion.
That is the implied definition of cruiser bikes vs. sport bikes.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:05 AM
randayn
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
I don't think anyone would classify the V-ROD as a cruiser.
Cruise: To go or move along, especially in an unhurried or unconcerned fashion.
That is the implied definition of cruiser bikes vs. sport bikes.

I was making a joke, By your definition most Harleys are cruisers

I have had Sport bikes and I have had a V Rod, imo the V Rod is NOT a sport bike. It is a pretty fast Cruiser.

It seems such a waste to have that great motor and not use it to full potential. I will buy a new HD when they put that motor in a comfortable frame. The Road Rod.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:07 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,944 Likes on 832 Posts

Thanks Willie, for my Superglide and my Heritage. I hope you enjoy many trouble-free miles and a good tailwind. Ride safe brother...

Attached Thumbnails Willie G. Davidson retires after 49 years...-photo.jpg  
Old 03-18-2012, 10:36 PM
warrconn
Road Master

Originally Posted by randayn
Now, Really. I heard Harley- Davidson might come out with a new Water Cooled Cruiser, they might call it a V Rod. NO WAY!

That's just what I heard. I know it does sound crazy.
Uh, yeah....I think I've heard of the V Rod. Duh! You missed my original point.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:39 PM
warrconn
Road Master

Originally Posted by mjrfd99
I know some think he is a god but he just coppied (sic) what many built by hand in the 60's and 70's. Still he took HD to the top of the buisness.
While I don't think Willie G should be elevated to sainthood, his personal contributions to motorcycling can't be denied. There are those that say he ripped off and copied innovations that were cropping up around the country by independant and home builders (and clubbers) of HDs.

I contend that he was the only person in a dying company that actually took notice of what was happening in the streets to machines that had his name on the tanks. The company was out of touch with the times. Willie G took (tore) the blinders off. He didn't copy, he PAID ATTENTION.

I am just old enough to remember the days when even a mildly (not to mention chopped) Harleys would be turned away for service from an HD dealer....some wouldn't even sell you parts or even oil if you had long hair. And the Factory condoned this! Harley corporate's idea of clubbers were AMA types wearing milkman-type hats, vinyl bowties and other para-military garb. The kind of clubs that gave trophies for "Cleanest Uniform". Vestiges of the 30s and 40s that were so dated they were laughable.

Now, imagine: Willie G has been employed at his family's biz and entrenched in the ultra-conservative culture of the company at a young age. Pictures of him in the early 60s show a young dude with a crew cut and Buddy Holly glasses wearing a white short-sleeved dress shirt and tie.
Now he has to convince the powers-that be that not everyone wants a fat dresser. Long story very short...the birth of the SuperGlide in 71. A factory model that would have been unthinkable just a year or two before. The success of the SuperGlide far exceeded factory expectations, and set the pace for what was to come during the following decades to the present day.

Willie then took a page from the founder's book. He went out and mingled with riders of the company's bikes. He went to rallys, he listened to suggestions and, as always, he observed what was happening and evolving. Like the original four founders, he put a face to the company.

No, I don't think Willie G is a motorcycling god or that he should be canonized, but I do not think it is an exaggeration to say he was very instrumental in saving my favorite motorcycle brand when things were at their worst.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:46 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

While I don't think Willie G should be elevated to sainthood, his personal contributions to motorcycling can't be denied. There are those that say he ripped off and copied innovations that were cropping up around the country by independant and home builders (and clubbers) of HDs.

I contend that he was the only person in a dying company that actually took notice of what was happening in the streets to machines that had his name on the tanks. The company was out of touch with the times. Willie G took (tore) the blinders off. He didn't copy, he PAID ATTENTION.

I am just old enough to remember the days when even a mildly (not to mention chopped) Harleys would be turned away for service from an HD dealer....some wouldn't even sell you parts or even oil if you had long hair. And the Factory condoned this! Harley corporate's idea of clubbers were AMA types wearing milkman-type hats, vinyl bowties and other para-military garb. The kind of clubs that gave trophies for "Cleanest Uniform". Vestiges of the 30s and 40s that were so dated they were laughable.

Now, imagine: Willie G has been employed at his family's biz and entrenched in the ultra-conservative culture of the company at a young age. Pictures of him in the early 60s show a young dude with a crew cut and Buddy Holly glasses wearing a white short-sleeved dress shirt and tie.
Now he has to convince the powers-that be that not everyone wants a fat dresser. Long story very short...the birth of the SuperGlide in 71. A factory model that would have been unthinkable just a year or two before. The success of the SuperGlide far exceeded factory expectations, and set the pace for what was to come during the following decades to the present day.

Willie then took a page from the founder's book. He went out and mingled with riders of the company's bikes. He went to rallys, he listened to suggestions and, as always, he observed what was happening and evolving. Like the original four founders, he put a face to the company.

No, I don't think Willie G is a motorcycling god or that he should be canonized, but I do not think it is an exaggeration to say he was very instrumental in saving my favorite motorcycle brand when things were at their worst.
I have contended that Willie G was a blessing and a curse. Yes he helped save a motorcycle company during an era of big change in the country. The Summer of Love and Woodstock were a culture that couldn't be denied. Willie G helped cater to that.

But Willie G also was part of the reason Harley Davidson became a caricature of itself years later. Having Willie G was a double edged sword. He cuts both ways.

Quick Reply: Willie G. Davidson retires after 49 years...