General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Willie G. Davidson retires after 49 years...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by jwhardin
uh.

nope.

same look.
Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Are all those little skulls going to stick around???
Just joking that they may want to retire too. Despite several "issues" that have arisen, I think we owe Willie G a real debt of gratitude. For every complaint I have had about the MoCo, I could always come up with MANY, MANY more positives.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:55 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too many self-styled individuals out there with statements too far beyond box....You guys missed the whole point and pity will surround your remains!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Sadthorn
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations Willie! I had the chance to **** next to him in the bathroom at a rest stop only to learn who he was as a boy. I ran out to my dad and his buddies all excited. Willie was nice enough to come with me and meet the crew. An outstanding man. Was polite and took the time to talk with everyone. A pat on the head and away he went. I'll never forget that.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:15 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I guess someone saw the movie Free Willie [G].

Willie G exemplified everything that was right and everything that was wrong with the Motor Company. On one hand he helped architect the resurrection of the Harley Davidson brand. On the other hand he also made the brand a characture of itself. I believe that Willie G's retirement is an indication of some substantial changes. My guess would be the expansion of the Revolution engine to several model lines. There have been mock ups of a smaller displacement version of the engine in an entry level model. A water cooled touring (sport/touring?) model could be another option. Maybe down the line the water cooled engines replace the air cooled V-Twin engines.

I think the retirement of Willie G is necessary to move the Moco forward. For the better or for the worse? Who's to say?

Last edited by baka1969; 03-16-2012 at 09:18 PM.
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Davidson Family is still involved with the company...his son Bill and his daughter Karen for two.

whitecoyote
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

Just think, if it was not for Willie, we could all still be riding AMF Harley's.
Thanks Willie, enjoy your retirement.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:20 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by whitecoyote
Just think, if it was not for Willie, we could all still be riding AMF Harley's.
Thanks Willie, enjoy your retirement.
Vaughn Beales had more to do with it.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Auckland
Why do so many HD riders bitch and moan about how much they hate their HD? Go buy a victory or BMW or Honda or build your own. Nobody is holding you back. I don't like chevys. I also don't ride around in one bitching about how much I hate it, because I didn't buy one.

Im glad I got mine before they come out with new models that look like jap bikes or move production to china, or sell to the japs, or liquid cool them, or whatever horrendous things they will do now to just make a buck.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Willie G. has long served as ambassador of Harley-Davidson at rallies around the world – meeting riders, talking to customers, lending his famous signature to jackets, and setting an example of being close to the customer that has become one of the hallmarks of the company.
I met him once when he asked about the suicide shift on my Heritage- it was before SS were being made for 5 speeds in any large numbers.

He got most of the new design ideas from other people's mods.

Real nice guy though- really passionate about bikes.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
I guess someone saw the movie Free Willie [G].

Willie G exemplified everything that was right and everything that was wrong with the Motor Company. On one hand he helped architect the resurrection of the Harley Davidson brand. On the other hand he also made the brand a characture of itself. I believe that Willie G's retirement is an indication of some substantial changes. My guess would be the expansion of the Revolution engine to several model lines. There have been mock ups of a smaller displacement version of the engine in an entry level model. A water cooled touring (sport/touring?) model could be another option. Maybe down the line the water cooled engines replace the air cooled V-Twin engines.

I think the retirement of Willie G is necessary to move the Moco forward. For the better or for the worse? Who's to say?
well put

Quick Reply: Willie G. Davidson retires after 49 years...