General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Willie G. Davidson retires after 49 years...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:34 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
I have contended that Willie G was a blessing and a curse. Yes he helped save a motorcycle company during an era of big change in the country. The Summer of Love and Woodstock were a culture that couldn't be denied. Willie G helped cater to that.

But Willie G also was part of the reason Harley Davidson became a caricature of itself years later. Having Willie G was a double edged sword. He cuts both ways.
I totally agree. That's why I stop way short of bowing and scraping to Willie G. Some say he usurped the culture and commercialized it. I can't deny that. Definitely a double edged sword, but my way of thinking is this:
I'm glad the company survived and nothing says I have to play along with the pirate custom party and 30 mph foot-draggers. I happily do my own thing.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:44 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

does this mean there will be no FRSTXLDM Super Wide Low Midnight Cruise Glide?

Old 03-20-2012, 09:56 AM
95fxdl
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank all of you who stayed loyal (not me) and supported Harley during the AMF years that allowed Willie to appeal to a different market and reach retirement.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Dr.ultra2010
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kick back and enjoy.......THANKS

Old 03-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Seadog57
Advanced
Default Harley Davidson will Prevail!

As long as men ride 2 wheeled iron machines HD will prevail! The MOCO is not going to change their styling anytime soon they are for the most part smart enough not to mess with whats been working all these years. There have been a few styling and new model misses and they such as the Rocker C and Cross Bones were discontinued pretty quick! I did like the Cross Bones but what a silly name.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:55 AM
93flhtcu
Tourer

I wish Willie a happy healthy retirement. I believe through his hard work and commitment we as a Harley community have been rewarded with a lifetime of beautiful machines.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:27 PM
keikanca
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Like him or hate him, it's sad to see the history of the name leave. Personally, I appreciate how the MoCo has kept to traditional designs all these years. Yes, they could have been a little more aggresive with new styles (to suit some of the younger generation) while still keeping the traditional designs, but, marketing is a bitch, and I'm sure it's pretty difficult to try to remain profitable yet stay true to your roots. Look at music - how many awsome musicians have "sold out" over the years to become more commercialized.

I'm sure the upcoming years will see some significant changes in design, and I hope they try to remain true to the brand - look at the Jeep products - sometimes they rock, and sometimes they suck (does anyone remember the Wrangler's with the square headlights????????). Jeeps are sort of like Harley's - they inspire a feeling of historical tradition and pride over the years, and even though they sometimes aren't the most mechanically sound or practical vehicles, they still attract a special kind of customer. What I know is eventually, everything comes back full circle, and what was once considered "old" becomes cool again, and what is "new" becomes played out. After all these years, we still have the iconic Jeep, circular headlights, removable doors and top, and everything else that makes it a classic.

So, I take pride in knowing it is not the MoCo that makes a Harley such an iconic part of Americana, but us riders who put our own personal stamps on our Harley's and ride them with that special "feeling" I can't quite put into words. I'm happy I recently traded in for my new Fat Boy Lo, and if big design changes are coming, I'll simlpy ride it out over the next however many years, and I'll still have that feeling of riding a piece of American history - no regrets at all!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,527 Likes on 2,261 Posts

I don't know how I missed this article until now. As usual, nice article, Schu.

Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

the article was put up today, they just linked it to this thread.

thanks

Old 03-28-2012, 03:59 AM
Proteus
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Willie G. has even been young, as we've been:

Thanks to him for having been there.

Quick Reply: Willie G. Davidson retires after 49 years...