General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever try to push start your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Coast Guard
Received 17,578 Likes on 5,090 Posts
Default Ever try to push start your bike?

Left my lights on,tried to start but no luck. Was on a good hill , rolled bike down hill and tried to pop the clutch in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Nothing came close to turning over the engine. All I did was skid the back tire. Is there a way to push the bike and pop the clutch and have it start? I have done this before on my other "non-Harley" bikes and they all started. WTF over?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Had a couple of guys give me a push last summer. Popped the clutch in first. Bike fired right up.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

let off the clutch slower letting it slip a little. on any newer bikes you have to have enough power left to run the ignition,fuel pump, and injection.. it take a lot more juice to turn the engine over then run everything else, so it is still a posibility

Old 03-14-2012, 10:53 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Just about the time you pop the clutch (at least in 2nd or 3rd), try raising up off the seat and then plopping down at the same time as you let the clutch go. That extra bounce of weight usually keeps the back tire planted.

Of course, I haven't tried that method on this 800 lb touring bike. Can't get the wife interested in giving me push. But it worked on my Low Rider and all the other smaller bikes I had long ago.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

These battle wagons today unless you've 11 volt or better in the battery it ain't happening , and I don't think it's even possible with EFI bikes ? Correct me if I'm wrong on that one please , haven't heard of it being done .

Old 03-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, if you have EFI then you need battery to make it go, you can bump if starter craps out and you still have juice, but no bump on a dead battery for fuel injected bikes. Time to charge it up.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:08 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The best chance of having traction and turning the engine over is to be in a high gear. In low it needs to spin the motor fast and unless one is going down a very steep hill that is not possible.

Most folks now have never had to push start anything and it is a lost art.

As soon as the engine fires the clutch must be pulled in fast as the speed is enough to start the engine but not run the bike as the gear is too high.

Just understand that to push start it is the reverse of what you do to pull away from standing with a motor running. That takes low gear. To turn an engine over 5 or 6 is the best chance to turn it and not slide the rear wheel. Again be fast with pulling the clutch in as soon as it fires.

I did that with my 08 Buell Ulysses when I went fishing. The fan in the Buell runs for awhile after you stop. I went to four spots along a canal and after the fourth stop it would not fire. There was a long grade. I put it in 5th ran and hopped on popping the clutch as I landed in the seat. It fired and I pulled the clutch in less than .2 of a second and got it revved up for a while. I keep the rpm's up and slipped the clutch in low until I was going up to 3,000 rpm.

If your battery is going while riding the stator and emc will keep it running until you stop. So yes a low battery is enough to keep the ecm going. It is just a question of traction, speed and technique. The Buell is the lightest bike that I have. I could never get a Ultra going. I can barely move it into the garage with a tiny grade.

Last edited by lh4x4; 03-14-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:09 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

i remember reading somewhere you have to have a certain minimum voltage or the computer will not let newer efi bikes start or turn over... cant remember which. it takes juice to run the injector pump

Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,114 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Done it on EFI cars, not sure what the differences there would be.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:11 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,988 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Another reason I like my old iron I've taken two 9v transistor batteries and jury rigged them in and kick started mine before and yes it really works on older non OEM electronic ign. bikes .

Quick Reply: Ever try to push start your bike?