General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever try to push start your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:29 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Lid
Yup, if you have EFI then you need battery to make it go, you can bump if starter craps out and you still have juice, but no bump on a dead battery for fuel injected bikes. Time to charge it up.
You are 100% correct. You need enough battery to run the efi.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:11 AM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

All true, but jumper cables from a cage still works fine.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:11 AM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Don't ever use that stupid on/off/kill sw. Use the ignition sw. End of problem.

2. Yes a fi bike will bump start, but you better be in 3rd or higher. Also, a long hill helps. If you can hear the fi preasurize which takes minimal battery power, you have fuel.

3. I would rather forget the kickstand (three times in the last 50 years) than run the battery down because of using the on/off/kill sw. I can always pick the bike up and start it.

jmho

Bwana

Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 AM
minesfaster
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just find a kicker kit, mine always works when I need it no problems then lol

Old 03-15-2012, 07:52 AM
o/d
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

my starter relay failed after gassing up last year. was on flat ground & by myself.

i put it in neutral for less rolling resistance & started running beside it. hopped on the seat with as much force as i could & popped it up into second & released the clutch & it fired right up.

got home & let it sit for a bit & decided i would try it again in my driveway - which has a decline - i couldn't get it to fire.

figure i got lucky at the gas station

Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 AM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
These battle wagons today unless you've 11 volt or better in the battery it ain't happening , and I don't think it's even possible with EFI bikes ? Correct me if I'm wrong on that one please , haven't heard of it being done .
Twist mines EFI. As long as you have enough juice to run the fuel pump it should fire up.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:25 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Lid
Yup, if you have EFI then you need battery to make it go, you can bump if starter craps out and you still have juice, but no bump on a dead battery for fuel injected bikes. Time to charge it up.
I have push started a old Yamaha of mine, but I was always told the EFI bikes require power. The fuel pump needs to be up and running and the injectors etc need power to run. If the starter was bad, and the battery good I guess it would be possible, but with the battery flat....... No go.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:57 AM
waramaug
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had to start my old 350SX sprint like that everyday. No electric,kicker busted,couldn't afford to fix it.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
These battle wagons today unless you've 11 volt or better in the battery it ain't happening , and I don't think it's even possible with EFI bikes ? Correct me if I'm wrong on that one please , haven't heard of it being done .
I believe the voltage can be less than that, probably could work down to about 8V maybe a little less. Chances are better if the fuel line still held some pressure.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:35 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by minesfaster
Just find a kicker kit, mine always works when I need it no problems then lol
I could be wrong , I dont ride a twinkie , but I have been told by more than one person that the new bikes cannot be kick started because there is a certain rpm the engine has to hit before it will be alolwed to fire. something to check out before dropping money on a kicker

Quick Reply: Ever try to push start your bike?