General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie--what tools will I need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:01 AM
JCryder
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the useful and amusing replies. I'm going shopping.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:03 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
...all the other tools can stay at home.
For everyone w/ no mechanical ability, and for all those who would rather be victims than help themselves, a credit card and a cell phone will do.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 AM
fj1200
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The service manual will list the tools you will need. Luckily I have a Sears, Lowes, Home Depot and several auto parts stores all within 3 miles on my house, so if I do not have a tool I can usually get what I need relatively quickly. But I normally try to read the procedure before starting to figure out if I have all of the necessary tools and which bolts,, screws and nuts I should buy because I will drop one and not be able to find it.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:46 PM
Vanessa Kingsbury
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've actually found I need BOTH metric and SAE tools for my 07'XL 1200L. Why, I have no idea but it seems half the bike is metric and half is standard. I've worked on the bike anywhere from replacing rocker box gaskets and covers to quick on the road tweaks. The MOST common tools I've used are:

Screwdriver that allows you to flip out between phillips and flat (now sense carrying 2 drivers when 1 double-sided bit will do)

5/16, 9/16 seem to be the most common sized bolts I need to work with so I keep a standard and a deep-set socket plus a compact ratchet on hand. Plus those sizes in wrenches as well.

I have a COMPLETE set of metric and SAE allen wrenches - you'll likely use these the most as they are needed for anything from handlebars, rocker boxes, signals, to pegs. A well-made kit is inexpensive and ABSOLUTELY worth getting the full kit for each.

I tend to stay away from adjustable wrenches or pliers because they do not grab well and you risk stripping bolts a lot faster that way.

The best advise I can give you - take your tool set outside, sit down with you bike, some tunes, and a cold beer and start sizing things up. You'll see real quick which sizes you'll need over and over again so you can ride with just a few pieces instead of half a saddle bag full not to mention you won't be back and forth as much in the garage looking for the pieces you need all the time.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:33 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vanessa Kingsbury
I've actually found I need BOTH metric and SAE tools for my 07'XL 1200L. Why, I have no idea but it seems half the bike is metric and half is standard. I've worked on the bike anywhere from replacing rocker box gaskets and covers to quick on the road tweaks. The MOST common tools I've used are:

Screwdriver that allows you to flip out between phillips and flat (now sense carrying 2 drivers when 1 double-sided bit will do)

5/16, 9/16 seem to be the most common sized bolts I need to work with so I keep a standard and a deep-set socket plus a compact ratchet on hand. Plus those sizes in wrenches as well.

I have a COMPLETE set of metric and SAE allen wrenches - you'll likely use these the most as they are needed for anything from handlebars, rocker boxes, signals, to pegs. A well-made kit is inexpensive and ABSOLUTELY worth getting the full kit for each.

I tend to stay away from adjustable wrenches or pliers because they do not grab well and you risk stripping bolts a lot faster that way.

The best advise I can give you - take your tool set outside, sit down with you bike, some tunes, and a cold beer and start sizing things up. You'll see real quick which sizes you'll need over and over again so you can ride with just a few pieces instead of half a saddle bag full not to mention you won't be back and forth as much in the garage looking for the pieces you need all the time.
Heck of a good 1st post.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:56 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Don't forget a needle nose pliers. If you're going to travel with your tools carry an eyeglass repair kit. Also a 6" adjustable wrench and regular pliers. A tire repair kit and a small 12v air pump with alligator clips. A spark plug socket. Locking pliers. Spark plug gapper. A dental mirror. A socket to convert from 3/8 to 1/4 sockets. A pocket knife. Wire clippers and strippers. Sissors and forceps. Spare bulbs. Bailing wire. One of those headband lights. Hole punch. Box cutter and exacto. Twine.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
A maintenance manual & a good lift.

Service manuel is a must!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Some of you guys carry so many fricken tools that you must not have room for anything else in your saddlebags. I must say that I have ridden 60,000 miles in the last 4 years and I have yet to stop and get out my Harley tool kit, even once! The time to prepare for when **** hits the fan is before **** hits the fan. Check for loose fasteners while you are still at home.
They seem to have left that vital little tidbit out of all the service manuals.