General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10,000 mile service, my first Harley, should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Jim@MilkyWay
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 10,000 mile service, my first Harley, should I do it?

I just bought my first Harley, a ’02 drop-dead gorgeous FXDWG about a month ago and it has just clicked over 10K miles. I registered on the site and have been on the various forums, in the background reading and figuring out how to navigate the site. I am now ready to enter the discussions and ask for my first bit of advice. Should I do the service myself. I do most of my light mechanical/maintenance work here on the farm. I have the shop manual with the service chart and I think most of the easy stuff will be, well,,, easy. It is the things known only to experienced wrench turners that I would like to hear from and read further input before proceeding. Is there a good article that someone can send me a link to that tells me what to watch for? I am also interested in something I read about here and need advice on that as well. I sent an E to Blackstone Labs asking if I should send in the fluids from the engine and the tranny for analysis even though I have no knowledge of what is in there or how long it has been run. Anyone have an opinion? PM me if you would rather not go public with your responses.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Getting a few used oil analysis' done is a great idea. Do 3. That will establish the baseline for wear metals and the trends for your particular motor. Blackstone will give you detailed info on what they found in the sample,and how long the oil will last for,given your riding habits.
Other than that buy a manual. You can do all of this yourself with a manual and a tools.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn it's a small world ain't it. I don't live but about 20 miles from you!

If you're used to working on farm equipment you can service your Harley yourself. Get a manual and do it.

For work you don't wanna do, or stuff like tires, check out Roosters over in Clarkesville. They do good work, know what they're doing, and won't rip you a new one. 706-754-9506.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,649 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Don't waste your $$ on the oil analysis--a bit overblown if you ask me. You ain't doin' a service on the space shuttle. Just change all 4 oils with the best stuff available--or use what HD recommends. You can't go wrong. Make friends with your service writer, and ask him any questions you may have.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Jim@MilkyWay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Getting a few used oil analysis' done is a great idea. Do 3...
Thanks for your reply. I assume that "do 3" means send in the primary fluid as well? Have you ever used the oil analysis service yourself? How many people actually think this is necessary and how often should it be done? $100 extra every oil change adds up.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Jim@MilkyWay
Intermediate

Yo Dude
Something about that ride looks familiar. You don't work at the post office do you?
Want to ride sometime?

Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,114 Likes on 2,797 Posts

I'd do the whole service if you have the manual. I was in the same boat you're in a year, or so ago, but I needed tires and was taking my first 2K+ road trip, so I had the 10K service done at the local indy. I just finished the 20K service and it wasn't bad at all.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Jim@MilkyWay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dickey
Don't waste your $$ on the oil analysis--a bit overblown if you ask me. You ain't doin' a service on the space shuttle. Just change all 4 oils with the best stuff available--or use what HD recommends. You can't go wrong. Make friends with your service writer, and ask him any questions you may have.
Thanks dickey. What's the 4th oil? Forks? That is what I wanted to ask about next on the forum but I was afraid my original post was getting too wordy already. I have had very low activity getting replies in the past from people on other forums until now and I have been on a few different types of forums, just never one for bikes. When you state "service writer" I take it that your suggestion is to have it serviced at a shop?
Also, the scheduled fork oil change is at 20K not 10K miles, but I think since the bike is 10 years old it can't hurt to change it now.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Jim@MilkyWay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
I'd do the whole service if you have the manual. I was in the same boat you're in a year, or so ago, but I needed tires and was taking my first 2K+ road trip, so I had the 10K service done at the local indy. I just finished the 20K service and it wasn't bad at all.
Thanks FNGona. I don't really know these bikes so the main reason I would even consider having someone else work on it is because if there is a 'funny noise' in the engine or other, I wouldn't know what to listen for. I have concerns about a few things and I might feel a little more assured if I did in fact have a service tech that I knew was watching out for my interests. I don't like to let my stuff go to a shop because if I do the service myself, then at least I know 1) what exactly was done and 2) that I can do it the next time as well. I have never had my other bike serviced by a shop, but then all I have ever done to it is a little electrical work and oil/filter changes.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:31 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Not rocket science to do it, Probably the biggest mistake some make it removing the sump plug in the botton of the motor,, JUst make sure U don't do that.. U can even crack the lower cases if U remove it.

Here a link to show U what all needs to be done and when.. This is for softail, cant find the one for A motor.. but its close to the same.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...sted-here.html

Also there is help all over the net on how to do things to Ur bike..

Google what ever U want and U'll find a lot on U tube..

heres a site that will help. again for softail but it'll still help.
http://dudeworld.com.au/HOWTO.HTML

Quick Reply: 10,000 mile service, my first Harley, should I do it?