General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New bike and it wouldn't start...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012 | 01:58 PM
Trav
|
Intermediate
Default Brand New bike and it wouldn't start...

Man I'm bummed! It got super nice in MN and was going to make the maiden voyage on the Slim and it wouldn't start. It was running when they pulled it off the trailer at my house delivery day and sat for a week and a half. Went to start it and nothing other than the one single chug, snap sound, and nothing each time I try. I have lights, injection primes, but not go...

The dealer came and tried and then took it on a trailer, hoping for good news today. I can't see it being anything other than A. Starter or B.Battery?

Thoughts?

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:14 PM
fj1200
Tourer

I would bet that the battery was not fully charged and it is not strong enough to crank the motor. Even after riding my new bike for a couple of hours, it took several hours on the Battery Tender to get to a full charge.

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:17 PM
danl
Tourer

I get to say it first......Invest in a battery tender. Cheers!!

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:22 PM
Trav
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fj1200
I would bet that the battery was not fully charged and it is not strong enough to crank the motor. Even after riding my new bike for a couple of hours, it took several hours on the Battery Tender to get to a full charge.
My thoughts too, just a strange snap sound though.

Originally Posted by danl
I get to say it first......Invest in a battery tender. Cheers!!
I have one actually, but live in an apartment, so no plug to use in the underground garage, which sucks. I pull my batteries in the winter though.

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:29 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master

WOW, your dealer came, and just took it away? It's pretty obvious that your battery didn't have enough juice, hell 20 min on the tender would have probably been enough to get it to fire up. You would think that a good dealer would come out with a new battery and throw it in before hauling it off on a trailer, seems like and easy sell to me, new battery in, bike starts, boom you just sold a battery, what is the bike owner going to say, no I don't want to buy that take it out, can't see it.

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:31 PM
01Byte
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fj1200
I noticed as well. When I brought my new bike home I had the battery tender waiting for it and it took almost a full day to show that the battery was full charged.

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:46 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

You got a brand new bike delivered & you let it sit for a week & a half without even starting it, let alone riding it? Man, either she's REAL good or you got some major self control.

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:50 PM
Trav
|
Intermediate

Ha, I started it once to hear it for sure. Living in Minnesota, we has some snow and salt that needed to be cleared before I could head out.

Old 03-12-2012 | 03:19 PM
jwhardin
Road Master

Originally Posted by Trav
Man I'm bummed! It got super nice in MN and was going to make the maiden voyage on the Slim and it wouldn't start. It was running when they pulled it off the trailer at my house delivery day and sat for a week and a half. Went to start it and nothing other than the one single chug, snap sound, and nothing each time I try. I have lights, injection primes, but not go...

The dealer came and tried and then took it on a trailer, hoping for good news today. I can't see it being anything other than A. Starter or B.Battery?

Thoughts?
definitely a bummer. I can't believe they didn't bring a battery with them.

Old 03-12-2012 | 04:07 PM
Trav
|
Intermediate

It was the battery, go figure. I need to figure out a power source in my apartment garage. I wish they supplied outlets for tenants.

Going to pick the bike up after work tomorrow and ride he for the 1st time!!!

Quick Reply: Brand New bike and it wouldn't start...