General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New bike and it wouldn't start...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012 | 07:06 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Trav
I need to figure out a power source in my apartment garage. I wish they supplied outlets for tenants.
Is it a your own private garage or shared?

Old 03-12-2012 | 07:09 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by dickey
You got a brand new bike delivered & you let it sit for a week & a half without even starting it, let alone riding it? Man, either she's REAL good or you got some major self control.
+1 I had my Lowrider delivered in a January snowstorm....I was riding it up and down the driveway.

Old 03-12-2012 | 07:11 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by Trav
It was the battery, go figure. I need to figure out a power source in my apartment garage. I wish they supplied outlets for tenants.

Going to pick the bike up after work tomorrow and ride he for the 1st time!!!
All you need is an extension cord for a tender. Get a Deltran battery tender junior

Look here: http://batterytender.com/

They do make a solar one if you have no outlet.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 03-12-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-12-2012 | 07:15 PM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Skid Lid
WOW, your dealer came, and just took it away? It's pretty obvious that your battery didn't have enough juice, hell 20 min on the tender would have probably been enough to get it to fire up. You would think that a good dealer would come out with a new battery and throw it in before hauling it off on a trailer, seems like and easy sell to me, new battery in, bike starts, boom you just sold a battery, what is the bike owner going to say, no I don't want to buy that take it out, can't see it.
It's a brand new bike, owner wouldn't/shouldn't have to buy anything, including a battery.

Old 03-12-2012 | 07:15 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
All you need is an extension cord for a tender.
Could be an awful long cord!

I was gunna say that if there is a std. light bulb socket in there,get one of those light bulb socket/plug adaptors.

Old 03-12-2012 | 07:17 PM
jaybull
Cruiser

Where i bought my bike they give you a free batt tender and give the bike a 50 point insp before you even get to see it, then they ride it for 50km to test it before handing over the fobs. To bad all dealers didn't do this. Small price to pay to have a happy cust. And haulin it away for a batt? Hope your luck turns around with your dealer. Enjoy your bike, break her in like they tell you 2. And have fun.

Old 03-12-2012 | 07:43 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

I never use a battery tender and I have not had a bike battery problem. Maybe because it does not freeze in my garage.

Old 03-12-2012 | 07:55 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

How times do you think that bike was started on the sales floor? How many times do you think that the battery was charged on the sales floor? Yep, thought so. Then the quick start in the garage just sucked the life out of the battery. That happens, sadly it does. So what did the dealer find?

Old 03-12-2012 | 08:11 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jaybull
Where i bought my bike they give you a free batt tender and give the bike a 50 point insp before you even get to see it, then they ride it for 50km to test it before handing over the fobs. To bad all dealers didn't do this. Small price to pay to have a happy cust. And haulin it away for a batt? Hope your luck turns around with your dealer. Enjoy your bike, break her in like they tell you 2. And have fun.
My dealer is the same way . They put 15-20 miles on it before you take it home. I felt sorry for service tec that day as it was a dry and clear 12 deg Wisconsin Feb morning. Also I was given a battery tender.

Old 03-12-2012 | 08:13 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
How times do you think that bike was started on the sales floor? How many times do you think that the battery was charged on the sales floor? Yep, thought so. Then the quick start in the garage just sucked the life out of the battery. That happens, sadly it does. So what did the dealer find?
Really good point.

Quick Reply: Brand New bike and it wouldn't start...