General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So.... I went to Daytona Bike week

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Default So.... I went to Daytona Bike week

I'm a new rider.... I like to ride... I like HD.... the history, the heritage, their support for the community, etc.

I'm TDY to Moody AFB, GA right now.... and during my free time, I like to hit up all the local dealerships, just chat a little.... pick up a store pin, and maybe a T-shirt. It keeps me occupied if nothing else. No wife/kids around... gotta do something, right?

So earlier in the week, I hit Tallahassee and Tifton, GA. On Saturday.. I woke up early, and planned a whole day of traveling. Started in Bruswick GA (Just south of Savannah) then hit Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Daytona and Ocala... all in one day.

Had a blast..... mostly.

Back to Daytona...... Honestly... it kinda sucked. Mostly new bikes (very few vintage which is what I love to see).... Lots of vendors trying to sell rediculously expensive parts to put on a bike that the sole purpose is to "show off", not actually ride...... overcrowded everywhere..... cops harassing everyone..... ugly fat women all over the place wearing stuff to "try" to be sexy..... the obvious and unofficial "I'm trying to be cooler than you" contest, etc. I spent 2.5 hours there... and I was ready to leave.

I absolutely cannot believe I saw a vendor selling "UFC licensed jewelry". Really? Is riding a Harley going to turn into the same douchebaggery as wearing bedazzled Affliction clothing and sporting a feux-hawk haircut? Is riding a Harley the new Jersey Shore?

I'm not sure when being a biker turned into some sort of hip-hop, bling bling riceburning, import-tuner subculture...... It was like watching 10,000 people trying desperately to be like "Jax" from Sons of Anarchy.... pretty pathetic actually.

I went.... I got a Tshirt..... I'm ok if I never see it again. After seeing this, my curiosity about going to Sturgis is...... well....... non-existent.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:15 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the same. You gotta kind of watch who you mix with. Too many weirdos out there. I've found that the culture isn't what it used to be. As with anything else, there isn't a guard at the door making sure that the flakes stay back 50ft. You pay your money, you get in- simple as that. So, even though I haven't been to Sturgis or Daytona on a bike, I'm sure you described the circus pretty accurately. Not for me either. I reckon some folks know how to enjoy it, but not me.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:18 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Yep most rally's suck. Went to the last Hollister rally and it was as you discribed.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 PM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very well said. My feelings exactly.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:26 PM

Unfortunately I was in my rental car.... not a bike. But, I had more fun just talking to random "normal" people at the various dealerships. I hadn't even planned on going as far south as Daytona.

The guys at the Jacksonville HD dealership were really cool..... I talked with them about being in the military, travelling all over the world, etc. They suggested it to me... "Why not just keep going south another 90 miles?".

So I did. I bought a Daytona store pin, and an event shirt. I spoke with the "Boss Bags" vendor for quite awhile about their re-creation of the Springer basketweave saddlebags..... that was pretty cool I guess.

The dealership was STUPID-crowded..... after walking away from the Rockford Fosgate vendor trying to impress people with their mind-blowing volume sound systems (for motorcycles.... really?).... thats when I bumped into the UFC jewelry vendor.... uggg.

I was starving... and I decided I didn't even want to eat there.... I got in my car and headed for Ocala to eat there instead..... that's how irritated I was with Daytona.

Never again.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:52 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default ralleys

I guess I look at it a little different. I see many 100's of people and I am sure I can find enough cool people who are up to my (in my mind) standards (I am being facetious here). I had a great time just talking to the other people staying in the motel I am staying at last night.

I got up today at 6am then went right back to sleep as the sky was steel gray and that blows dead frogs. Day light savings time and that leap ahead crap. I got back up at 7:30, showered & coffee'd up and called other HDF members here. I met them and had a great morning hanging out with new friends I would have never met otherwise. It is now 4:48 Sunday. I plan on having more great times. I have been coming to Daytona since 1975 but I do not buy pins or T-shirts to prove it. I guess no matter where you go, you are always there with yourself. I guess it is all where you want to be when you get there.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Rally's are another way to swindle your ca$h...if I want to experience overcrowded, loud, & crazy shopping - I'll hit Black Friday sales...

Old 03-11-2012, 04:04 PM
The88Beast04
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well that sucks. i wish i could've experienced the rallys back when they weren't all about overpriced merchandise. i mean i understand the business owners mentality of going where the target market crowds are, but DAMN.
I kinda felt the same way when I went to Laconia for the first time last year. It seemed like besides going on some of the rides, that if you weren't spending money buying stuff, it was just hanging around.
But then again, that's what rallys were originally all about right? Having fun and hanging out :-)

Old 03-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Skid Lid
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like everything in life, the enjoyment is with the people around you Rally or no Rally the best times are with the people you like the most.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:17 PM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

My experience with the vendors at Sturgis last August (my first time) was different - Many of them had discount deals; I got a windvest windshield at a discount, and they installed it right there on my bike for free.

Quick Reply: So.... I went to Daytona Bike week