General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So.... I went to Daytona Bike week

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, let's see a picture of your "beautiful" new wheels...are they cool or stupid bling?

Old 03-12-2012, 10:40 PM
VooDoo13
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lgenf
Get him chuck!

Wait, this guy shows up in a rental car and because his bike is back home and he didn't ride, he says daytona bike week sux, well isn't he just the authority

You have many of the top vendors setting up shop in one spot, offering deals and most offer free install in that price, yeah that sounds like it sux, I would much rather look at pics online and try to figure out what it will look like on my bike, or look in a magazine at a small print yeah that's better

Or better yet, those high priced vendors pushing their shitty wares, god forbid a competing vendor with equally crappy shitty wares is there also and you can get a better price or better package deal, that would really suck *****

But I'll take pitting one vendor's show special versus another and work a deal like I did today on a beautiful set of PM wheels and get better than the show special and get the, to throw in their new machine cut axle with machined ends for my beautiful new wheels, and you just keep on bitchen about tshirts and pins
What did you get and what did you pay???

I can agree to a point. But to say you got a DEAL from PM is BS. They don't have to cut a deal. They cut there own wheels and near EVERY other buys from the same manufacture and adds there own touch. I tried to negotiate last year with them and ended up dropping $3500 cash on a set of wheels for the wife's tri-glide. Our deal was free shipping, REALLY (WOW) considering I paid retail and only bought the last day knowing they weren't going to negotiate.
Odds are you paid the same for the whole setup as you would have had you ordered it all online and still would have gotten free shipping.... I will agree that alot of venders will work a deal, but not the highest priced or quality venders at the rally. They don't care cause next rally someone else will be there to buy what don't sell at Daytona. That is a promise.

As for My opinions of Daytona. Run down town in need of improvements. So much has been going on there for the last forever that you would think it would be a little cleaner from the extra revenue. However I am sure there are really nice areas just not the MAIN attraction areas. However they are one of the last few places to really care and cater to the biker community. To that I salute..

Then again My town is like a Good Ol Boy town that refuses to let us get caught up with the rest of the world. It is no better.

Thunder Beach @ PCB has the best of Both. Great venders, Very Nice and clean town, and super biker friendly Plus ALL parking is free....

On a side note lgenf according to your sig.....Doc is an absolute bad *** tuner. Best I have ever seen. Had him do my old fatty. And will see him after I am done building my bagger..

Last edited by VooDoo13; 03-12-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,559 Likes on 5,858 Posts
Default Daytiona

My only experience with Daytona was a dozen years ago, on a rented Harley, the week after bike week.
The lady that I was living with at that time, and I had a rental condo in Ormond beach.
I rented a Heritage for my vacation, and mostly I cruised by myself up and down the coastal highway because I get up and get going in the morning and she did not. Those morning cruises in the coastal mist were awesome.

As a couple we cruised the main drag, and one evening we went to the lighthouse. It started to rain, and nearby we saw "the oldest resaturant east of the Mississippi" and went in. We had one of the best nights of our vacation while waiting for the storm to end. Just me, my lady, the bartender and the waitresss sitting at the bar, having some drinks, eating some snacks and getting to know one another for several hours. Good folks, and one of the best memories of my time there. No one else came in the entire time that we were there, and it was like being in our own little world where no one cared about anything else but being in the moment.

The ride back to the condo at Ormond Beach was perfect, Nice night, clear, everything fresh from the rain, belly full from bar food snacks, the OL had a buzz on, surf was up, got laid.

Perfect.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:11 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VooDoo13
What did you get and what did you pay???

I can agree to a point. But to say you got a DEAL from PM is BS. They don't have to cut a deal. They cut there own wheels and near EVERY other buys from the same manufacture and adds there own touch. I tried to negotiate last year with them and ended up dropping $3500 cash on a set of wheels for the wife's tri-glide. Our deal was free shipping, REALLY (WOW) considering I paid retail and only bought the last day knowing they weren't going to negotiate.
Odds are you paid the same for the whole setup as you would have had you ordered it all online and still would have gotten free shipping.... I will agree that alot of venders will work a deal, but not the highest priced or quality venders at the rally. They don't care cause next rally someone else will be there to buy what don't sell at Daytona. That is a promise.

As for My opinions of Daytona. Run down town in need of improvements. So much has been going on there for the last forever that you would think it would be a little cleaner from the extra revenue. However I am sure there are really nice areas just not the MAIN attraction areas. However they are one of the last few places to really care and cater to the biker community. To that I salute..

Then again My town is like a Good Ol Boy town that refuses to let us get caught up with the rest of the world. It is no better.

Thunder Beach @ PCB has the best of Both. Great venders, Very Nice and clean town, and super biker friendly Plus ALL parking is free....

On a side note lgenf according to your sig.....Doc is an absolute bad *** tuner. Best I have ever seen. Had him do my old fatty. And will see him after I am done building my bagger..

My deal was one I am happy with, maybe not the best thing on the planet but....

PM is running a show special $3100 a set, anything you want, any size combo up to the 21 in front and 18 rear along with new matching front rotors and new rubber

I picked out a set of LUXE wheels from them in that same 21x3.5 front and 18x4.25 rear with matching front rotors and new rubber

My deal at $2900 and they threw in their new machined axle that looks nice and has machined ends, so no crappy chrome end caps on my stock axle for me. Reuse my stock rear rotor and pulley/cush drive as you can't see them on a bagger anyways and all that installed while at the show

I'll take that deal considering when I checked with several PM dealers they were all over $3200 or more and I had to get my rear rotor and pulley off the old wheels and on the new, and then get all that installed

So over $1000 off list price installed with a new axle to boot is a good deal to me

Old 03-13-2012, 04:24 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by warrconn
Well, let's see a picture of your "beautiful" new wheels...are they cool or stupid bling?
I won't even speculate at what you might think is cool, nor will I look for approval from others as to what they think about my bike, but the success of chrome luxe wheels from PM is widely found throughout this site and I think they look beautiful

Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 PM
mac1911
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't like 'em either.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:24 AM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

I guess it is what you make of it. Rode down on Friday with the wife and got soaked just as we reached Daytona. Since she had never been to Bike Week, tok her to see all the events. Met some great people from all over, including a couple from England. Wife had a great time and did not wnat to go home on Tuesday.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by robbie52
I guess it is what you make of it. Rode down on Friday with the wife and got soaked just as we reached Daytona. Since she had never been to Bike Week, tok her to see all the events. Met some great people from all over, including a couple from England. Wife had a great time and did not wnat to go home on Tuesday.

that's what it is about

connections

be it connections to friends of old, connections to new friends

Old 03-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Zuul
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Your trip your way

I think it is what you make it and about what you like.

I don't like large crowds except maybe at an outdoor concert or something like that. I think back in the day for me it was more about tenting and folking out around a camp fire with someone who could carry a tune and had an acoustic (like me). Getting a good buzz on and maybe meeting someone and waking up in a strange tent.

Now that I'm older and married and have a motorcycle it's a chance to revisit that kind of thing differently. I will go to these motorcycle events but I will likely stay at a camp ground a few miles away, and I will go with seasoned friends who've been before. I will check out the hawkers and see if they can entice me into buying something, and get a drink at a bar with a patio to watch the freak show, and be comfortable within my own story about the trip. I hope to make new friends.

It could suck or it could rule but it's better than being at work or staying home.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:59 PM
bkelly1956
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed...make it what you want. No need to buy over-priced stuff if you don't want to. Wife and I have been the last 5 years...stay for 3 days. Spend some time at the places we like...which usually means steering clear of the rowdier, heavier drinking places. We always meet numerous new and nice people. This time we took in Deland's bikefest last Saturday. Had a great time...cool small town...locals were unbelievably welcoming. Nice country roads there...and west...and north...all with small pubs or restaurants along the way with friendly folks, both locals and visitors. Bought only a bracelet for $74...thought the price was pretty good. All in all an enjoyable 3 days. Will be back again next year. Hope to make Sturgis one day.

Quick Reply: So.... I went to Daytona Bike week