General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So.... I went to Daytona Bike week

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Lid
Like everything in life, the enjoyment is with the people around you Rally or no Rally the best times are with the people you like the most.
+1 this.
Life is 10% what life hands you and 90% what you make of it. If Daytona sucked for op it's because you didn't try hard enough to make it not suck.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:56 PM
VooDoo13
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You still in Valdosta ninefourteener? Whats your age? Just curious cause I am in Valdosta Wife and I own a nightclub near moody. We both ride. We go down for a couple days but not into the getting drunk aspect but the riding aspect of rallies. We go mostly to People watch it is very interesting. Some try WAY TO HARD.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:12 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
I thought Daytona was tons of hot, nude women slathered in baby oil. I wish I hadn't found out the truth.
It is...the 5 chicks I saw there combined weigh about 2.7 tons

Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Heya ninefourteener, hada ask. Do you happen to own a ninefourteen (914)?
Only peeps I know who come up with handles like that! ((-:
I've owned a 73' 2.0s w/fuchs for 20yrs.

aka Bob

Old 03-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Kon
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sometymes.............

It has been my experience that prices come down at the end of the rallys.......somewhat !! If they dont have to pack it back up its easier for them but , the large corporate venders prob dont much care........

Old 03-11-2012, 09:35 PM
BonsaiJim
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Y'all should check out the LoneStar Rally in the fall... still legitimate.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:04 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ninefourteener
I'm a new rider.... I like to ride... I like HD.... the history, the heritage, their support for the community, etc.

I'm TDY to Moody AFB, GA right now.... and during my free time, I like to hit up all the local dealerships, just chat a little.... pick up a store pin, and maybe a T-shirt. It keeps me occupied if nothing else. No wife/kids around... gotta do something, right?

So earlier in the week, I hit Tallahassee and Tifton, GA. On Saturday.. I woke up early, and planned a whole day of traveling. Started in Bruswick GA (Just south of Savannah) then hit Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Daytona and Ocala... all in one day.

Had a blast..... mostly.

Back to Daytona...... Honestly... it kinda sucked. Mostly new bikes (very few vintage which is what I love to see).... Lots of vendors trying to sell rediculously expensive parts to put on a bike that the sole purpose is to "show off", not actually ride...... overcrowded everywhere..... cops harassing everyone..... ugly fat women all over the place wearing stuff to "try" to be sexy..... the obvious and unofficial "I'm trying to be cooler than you" contest, etc. I spent 2.5 hours there... and I was ready to leave.

I absolutely cannot believe I saw a vendor selling "UFC licensed jewelry". Really? Is riding a Harley going to turn into the same douchebaggery as wearing bedazzled Affliction clothing and sporting a feux-hawk haircut? Is riding a Harley the new Jersey Shore?

I'm not sure when being a biker turned into some sort of hip-hop, bling bling riceburning, import-tuner subculture...... It was like watching 10,000 people trying desperately to be like "Jax" from Sons of Anarchy.... pretty pathetic actually.

I went.... I got a Tshirt..... I'm ok if I never see it again. After seeing this, my curiosity about going to Sturgis is...... well....... non-existent.
Congratulations! You've proven yourself to be a quick learner! There are thousands of "newbies" that have actually been around for a few years that don't have the insight you have...you've seen through the B.S. In my humble and "nobody-asked-ya-" opinion, you're gonna be a long term Harley rider and not into stylin' and profilin'. Refreshing as hell.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love that gold Wing project! That's what it's all about.

"and I wanted to start on a "big" bike... because I knew since day 1 what I was going to buy eventually."

Love that comment too, in 1973 I went from a 250cc Suzuki to an 850 Moto Guzzi and never looked back. Go big or stay home, LOL.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by VooDoo13
You still in Valdosta ninefourteener? Whats your age? Just curious cause I am in Valdosta Wife and I own a nightclub near moody. We both ride. We go down for a couple days but not into the getting drunk aspect but the riding aspect of rallies. We go mostly to People watch it is very interesting. Some try WAY TO HARD.
Yes... I am here for another 5 days. I didn't get to go out this weekend, because all day Saturday I was road-tripping. I haven't seen a whole lot of Valdosta...I did manage to make it to "Cuz's" sports bar twice last week for a couple beers.... pretty nice, pretty laid back crowd. All the "night clubs" I've heard of are only open on weekends. Which one do you own?

Old 03-11-2012, 10:28 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it is 1,200 miles from south texas to daytona. i enjoy being on the bike for hours at a time out on the interstate. plenty to do in daytona. i enjoy the racing-short track, motocross, and road racing. there are usually some dirt track car races in the area. coming or going i will try to time it so i can catch the gatornationals drag racing. got time...go to orlando, ride down to key west. the people watching is great. hell, tee shirts are $30 at the dealers everywhere. for that, you can get 2 or 3 from the vendors at most rallys.
do a little research on where to go and what to see before you head to a rally. rolling in to town in a car for a couple of hours is not going to a motorcycle rally.

Quick Reply: So.... I went to Daytona Bike week