General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So.... I went to Daytona Bike week

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Four of us went to Daytona a few years ago. I'm glad that I went and experienced it but it actually was a bit of a let down. Just the other day one of the guys called me and said he'd like all of us to ride down next year and what did I think about it. I had to tell him that I wasn't all that interested in riding 2 days, spending 3 days there, and then riding 2 days back. All in March on the east coast where it could be 20* and 3 feet of snow on the ground.

The same 4 guys also went to Laconia twice. Rained the whole time, both times.
It was not a fun week! Plus, every mud pit they called a parking area had a $5 or $10 charge for the privilege of going into the over crowded bar/vendor to spend more money. None of us have any interest in returning.

We've all been to Americade several times. We do spend one afternoon checking out the vendors but the rest of the time we spend riding the hills of NY and Vermont.

So, I agree, the big rally's seem to be set up to sell a bunch of meaningless junk.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Cup
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm planning on riding down from SC on the bike for a few days later in the week and catch a few races and the bike shows. Expect to see a lot of the type you describe but I just say to each his/her own. I love what you did though as far as checking the dealerships on the way and just heading down south without a destination.

Your sig had me curious as hell. Please post a picture of your Goldwing redone as a cafe... I gotta see that.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Well damn,I was hoping to find an Ed Hardy doo rag that would match my bike. I guess warm weather,sunshine,A1A,and other rides will have to do.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ninefourteener
I'm a new rider.... I like to ride... I like HD.... the history, the heritage, their support for the community, etc.

I'm TDY to Moody AFB, GA right now.... and during my free time, I like to hit up all the local dealerships, just chat a little.... pick up a store pin, and maybe a T-shirt. It keeps me occupied if nothing else. No wife/kids around... gotta do something, right?

So earlier in the week, I hit Tallahassee and Tifton, GA. On Saturday.. I woke up early, and planned a whole day of traveling. Started in Bruswick GA (Just south of Savannah) then hit Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Daytona and Ocala... all in one day.

Had a blast..... mostly.

Back to Daytona...... Honestly... it kinda sucked. Mostly new bikes (very few vintage which is what I love to see).... Lots of vendors trying to sell rediculously expensive parts to put on a bike that the sole purpose is to "show off", not actually ride...... overcrowded everywhere..... cops harassing everyone..... ugly fat women all over the place wearing stuff to "try" to be sexy..... the obvious and unofficial "I'm trying to be cooler than you" contest, etc. I spent 2.5 hours there... and I was ready to leave.

I absolutely cannot believe I saw a vendor selling "UFC licensed jewelry". Really? Is riding a Harley going to turn into the same douchebaggery as wearing bedazzled Affliction clothing and sporting a feux-hawk haircut? Is riding a Harley the new Jersey Shore?

I'm not sure when being a biker turned into some sort of hip-hop, bling bling riceburning, import-tuner subculture...... It was like watching 10,000 people trying desperately to be like "Jax" from Sons of Anarchy.... pretty pathetic actually.

I went.... I got a Tshirt..... I'm ok if I never see it again. After seeing this, my curiosity about going to Sturgis is...... well....... non-existent.
Eh . . . I hate crowds anyway.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cup

Your sig had me curious as hell. Please post a picture of your Goldwing redone as a cafe... I gotta see that.
Sure.... I bought this for $1000 about 8 months ago after attending the Rider's Edge course.... I'm 35... and I literally, had never so much as even sat on a running motorcycle.... I was so clueless, I didn't even know the appropriate shift pattern of a motorcycle until they taught me. Totally changed my life.

I knew I was going to buy a Springer.... but I needed "something" to learn/practice on until I could afford it.

It was a pretty bastardized Goldwing in the first place. The rear fender was HD I think... the seat was HD..... it was a POS. It was running on 3 cylinders, and had electrical problems out the wazoo... blown fork seals... just a total mess.... but it ran, and it was cheap, and I wanted to start on a "big" bike... because I knew since day 1 what I was going to buy eventually.

This is what it looked like when I bought it:

A new carb, new fork seals, and lots of "tinkering" with the electrical system... and all of a sudden I had a great running bike...... that still wasn't worth anything... so I figured what the hell.... I'll tear it apart, buy some cheap parts off eBay.... an wa-la. (The goal was to keep it as cheap as possible)

The entire project took me 12 days over the xmas break. Stripped it down to nothing:

... and this is what I have left:

Daytona handlebars
new grips
new mirrors
1976 goldwing headers - wrapped in black fiberglass
new mufflers
1975 goldwing front fender... hacked short and ground down
rebuilt brakes
rebuilt brake cylinders
front fairing
lowering shocks (2 inches lower)
stripped the seat - installed new seat foam + cover
cleaned, scrubbed, greased, lubed, and painted everything that needed to be
completely sanded all remaining body panels and wrapped with CF vinyl (paint wasnt worth the investment)

Last edited by ninefourteener; 03-11-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:43 PM
jurgie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Go to Sturgis and have some fun.Nice crowd old school setting for me.I stay at a campground 6 miles outside of town. Vendors arnt bad and there willing to help.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,678 Likes on 3,118 Posts

If you had parked that Cafe' Gold Wing on Main street in Daytona, you'd have had a punch of older riders stopping by to give it a look. ( Myself included.)

Nicely done!

Old 03-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Cup
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love what you did there. Looks great. I was actually looking at a 81 GW for sale near here awhile back with the intention of breaking it down similar to that. I was born in 81 and want to find a bike from my birth year.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn nice job there dude!

It was a pretty bastardized Goldwing in the first place. The rear fender was HD I think... the seat was HD..... it was a POS. It was running on 3 cylinders, and had electrical problems out the wazoo... blown fork seals... just a total mess.... but it ran, and it was cheap, and I wanted to start on a "big" bike... because I knew since day 1 what I was going to buy eventually.

You got skills!

Old 03-11-2012, 06:00 PM

Thanks.... I got my motivation from this guy... except he spent a LOOOOOOTTTTTT more money than I did.

But I like the styling cues... I just wasn't willing to go with a "full" cafe seat... too uncomfortable, and I didn't want to hack the frame... so I made a compromise by installing cafe foam + cover on the existing seat base.

Plus, I have less than $2000 in this bike.... total, including the purchase price.

It's a turd... a beater... was never really meant to be an "investment". But it runs like a bat out of hell.... that 1100cc water-cooled motor really moves... especially with no weight to slow it down.

Here was my pseudo-motivation:

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-gold-wing-cafe-racer

Quick Reply: So.... I went to Daytona Bike week