General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's Why Dealers Lose Sales

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:11 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

I just found a screw in the tread of my rear tyre on my Fat Boy. It's only done 6000 miles and I'm really pissed off at having to buy a new tyre. My old dealer closed last year so I've been trying the next closest. They did a good job last year on the service and at a fairly decent price. However I had them fit a new front tyre and some new passenger pegs and was not really impressed due to the spindle holes now facing up and down, making it awkward to fit my clasic chrome caps and not ensuring the foot pegs fitted correctly. Which I have now sorted myself. They recently sold me some billet chrome caps for the rear spindle which catch on the exhaust and have now given me the money back as a result. The part should have fitted according to the part number but doesn't. Not their fault I know but the suggestion of using brute force to bend the exhaust bracket did not go down well as did the suggestion of buying a new exhaust.
Anyway I contacted the dealer to price up the tyre as to be quite honest I didn't fancy a long ride with a screw in the tread. I'd priced the tyre on the web site of National tyres for £185+ tax and rang the dealer for a comparison. £350 said he , to which I ask if they can price match. After a quick chat with the boss by the staff member I get ' yes we can price match as long as we fit the tyre' ok say I and we discuss a date to get the bike in. Just as we finish our conversation I hear the boss tell the staff member to make sure that they fit the tyre. Alarm bells are now ringing. Normal fitting is £30 ish. The staff member then said the tyre will be £185+ tax and we fit the tyre. Ok said I. What's the cost of fitting. To this I get. 'so we'l see you on Friday' eh hello say I whats the cost of fitting. 'Bye now 'says he 'excuse me 'I shout down the phone , ' what is the cost of fitting the tyre' £145 says he. 'Are you having a f**%**g laugh' say I 'oh no ' said the staff member ' it's far more technical than fitting a front tyre'. In short I cancelled the deal and contacted the next nearest dealer who has quoted £200 all in. When you work it out dealer one was prepared to charge me £350 for a tyre then give me discount and sell me the tyre for £185+ tax , bringing it to £205, then charge me £145 to have it fitted. I think that adds up to £350. Great deal that. Needless to say they will not be getting any of my future custom

Old 05-30-2012, 12:14 PM
mountainpharm
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a new Dunlop Elite 3 rear put on my 07 FLHT about 6 weeks ago. Was planning a 1200 mile ride and the tire that was on the bike had a chunk taken out that I hadn't realized prior which didn't instill a great deal of confidence. It was a last minute discovery so I couldn't wait for shipping from Dennis Kirk who I've used in the past with great success. The dealer got me for around $230 for the tire and about $100 to install. My fault for not doing a better job of getting my ducks in a row prior to the trip and I paid for it. Nothing like an empty wallet to teach a lesson.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Raider Dana
Cruiser

2 tires installed at my HD $440.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sr_smyth

http://canadasmotorcycle.ca

Free shipping to anywhere in Canada, just ordered a set of Elite 3's, saved over 250 bucks over my nearest dealers. Who, by the way, want 120$ per tire to install.
I just did a search for the Avon Venom whitewalls I bought and ....gezzz out of stock. So I woulda had to get some other tires if I was only able to buy outta Canada. There was only a few bucks differance in price (refreshing to see that) then the american counterparts but NOT IN STOCK in the spring time when tire sales are at their highest would be the kicker and **** me off to shop somewhere else.
So the bottom line is that I paid 330 for 2 avon venom whitewalls..and paid 80 bux to have them installed and balanced by my local indy. He also spent some time checking the bike over for other possible problems in the future. I'm pretty sure I woulda have spent plenty more cash to have that done thru Canadian dealers.

Last edited by Alter; 05-30-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain

I need a stock 180 rear tire for my Softail. Is there anyone here in the Saint Louis area who can point me to the best deal. I can really only spend about $200 and I don't have the tools to mount it myself. I can't get my bike inspected until I change that tire, and I need the inspection to renew my plates. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

But they rarely end up being on the losing end. If you buy the tire elsewhere and cannot mount balance and install it yourself.....They make it back in the labor rate. They will not install tires purchased elswhere for 130.00 I can guarantee you that!

Originally Posted by RAWHIDE07
I just priced a set of Dunlops from a local dealer,I do try to support dealers but this is just stupid. His price on a set of tires is over $150 more(plus tax) than I can order them for from a well known company and that includes the shipping cost(which is free.) Hey come on dealer,at least be in the ballpark price wise,jeeez. I mean hell I was willing to pay you to mount them and you charge $130(plus tax) for that and you still want to gouge on the tires? Forget it.