General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend rear-ended this week in West Atlanta Suburb in a Hit'N-Run

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 AM
stmcmann
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Friend rear-ended this week in West Atlanta Suburb in a Hit'N-Run

Tuesday evening 3/6/12 as I was at home getting ready to call it a night I received a disturbing phone call, at first Id didn't recognize the phone # and it was late, but I answered it anyway, and to my surprise it was the mom of my good friend in the area whom I had been with earlier telling me that her son, my good friend, had been in an accident, and she wanted to know did I know about it and I told her no, that I had went home earlier and everything was fine up until then. Then she tells me that she and her husband, my friend's Dad were at the scene and that they had just strapped him to the gurney and put him in the ambulance. I asked her did she know how it happened, and she said that after speaking to a couple of people that were at the scene they told her that he had been rear-ended while waiting on the traffic light to change by a car that then fled the scene and left him laying in the ditch like a dying dog. As for my friends bike, a 2001 DYNA WIDE GLIDE, I asked how did it look, and she said it might be totaled, and that his leather jacket and helmet probably saved him as the jacket was scraped pretty bad and the helmet was cracked.
On Wed. I had this on my mind all day as it was disturbing, but finally I was able to text my friend a couple of times while he was in the hospital and he texted me back, so I was glad to see that he was recovering. Then yesterday afternoon I got a phone call from my friend himself telling me that he was home from the hospital and I told him what time I got off work and asked him was he going to be there and he said yea, come on by.
Then yesterday after work I went home, changed out of my work clothes, and went to visit with my friend and finally got to see him and talk to him since this happened and I asked him what did he remember, and he said that he stopped for the red light at this intersection less than 3 miles from his house and then he felt something hit the back of his bike knocking him and the bike into a ditch and after that he was knocked unconscious and the next thing he remembers is waking up in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. I asked him how he felt and what did they do in the hospital, he said they did a lot of x-rays and also did a catscan and after it was determined that hi had no broken limbs or bones, but instead just a lot of bruises, he was discharged, and that his left leg was very sore. I asked him about the bike, and he said he has not had a chance to see it since this happened but that he had it fully insured and that he'll probably wait and go get it Sat. with his Dad or his brother.
Finally, I asked him did they have a good description of the HIT'N-RUN driver, and he said that his mom told him that he was probably laying in that ditch for a little while before anyone arrived to help and that the car that hit him probably fled the scene because no one else was around, HOW COULD A PERSON SLEEP AT NIGHT KNOWING THEY DID THAT TO ANOTHER PERSON?
I doubt it will ever happen, but I hope like H""L they catch this HIT'N-RUN driver and give them the punishment they deserve to the fullest extent of the law.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:39 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad your friend is ok and I sincerely hope they catch the scum that did it.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 AM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad your friend's alright. I too hope they catch that sob and hang his @$$.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:57 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sadly, some 500+- riders are killed being rear ended sitting at red lights or stop signs across the country each year.
I'm glad your friend survived.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Average driving standards in Atl are pretty crap, hope your friend heals quick and the driver gets caught.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:23 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Very glad to hear your friend will be okay. It's such a shame what some people are capable of.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 03-09-2012, 10:32 AM
byg twyn 55
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad your friends ok, when im stopped, im always checking the mirrors. some jerk cut my buddy and his wife off doing a lane change, they got some road rash, and the bike a few dents, never found the cager!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:02 AM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
Very glad to hear your friend will be okay. It's such a shame what some people are capable of.
.................................................. ...............

Old 03-09-2012, 01:12 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
Sadly, some 500+- riders are killed being rear ended sitting at red lights or stop signs across the country each year.
I'm glad your friend survived.
Exactly why you stay in 1st & keep your eye in your rear-view at stops. Happened to my niece at a toll booth.

Hope your buddy heals quick.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:19 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,661 Likes on 2,538 Posts

Thank God your friend is gonna be OK, but unfortunately, I think you're gonna start seeing more hit & runs like this. mainly because of the fact that where an accident used to be treated as an accident, nowadays it's treated more like a crime. Plus people are already living with so much added stress in their lives, they figger that the added stress of dealing with the legal ramifications of an accident will be too much, so they take a chance & flee, hoping to not get caught. And, usually they aren't.

Last edited by dickey; 03-09-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Friend rear-ended this week in West Atlanta Suburb in a Hit'N-Run