General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Ended Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 12:56 PM
pip369
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Ended Yesterday

So I was at a stop sign yesterday and got hit from behind. I was waiting for a LEO to clear the intersection, and then I was going to make a right turn. When I was hit I was pushed out into the intersection and was lucky the LEO and other cars were paying attention. I was pinned under the bike and if not for the highway bars probably would have ended up with some pretty good injuries. The Leo later told me he had the incident recorded on his dash camera. He saw the whole thing and gave the lady what he called a "citation".

The lady that hit me bascially said she didn't see me. However, she had been following me for about 3 miles. I have no clue how "she didn't see me". I had been watching her but took my eye off of her at the stop sign when I looked both directions to make the turn. I was blessed to walk away from the deal.

I refused an abulance ride and had the tow truck driver give me a ride home. I drove my self to the hospital and got checked out and basically had nothing broken from what they could tell from standard xrays. They wanted to do a CT Scan but I refused that as I have heard they have high doses of radiation and I really didn't think I needed it. I now have some pain in my shoulder area at the base of my neck and right side feels weird. Yesterday all I had was a sore right knee and a dull pain along my right side.

I have always thought I was most vunerable at stops. I think the above proves it. The bike has about $3500 of damage so far. I am glad HD's are so beefy because I think the bike got the worst of it.

I am in Kansas and it is a no fault state. Does any have any advice on how to deal with repair costs and medical bills and so on in a no fault state? I am sure the ER visit will be in the thousands as well. Other bikers I have talked with have said to get an attorney but I want to avoid that unless it is truly necessary.

Thanks for you help!

PIP

PS - No pics of the bike. I wasn't thinking clearly after the accident. The back of it is totally trashed.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:10 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you talked to your insurance co. yet? That's what you pay them for...Let them handle it. Does your policy have personal injury protection? Does your policy have medical? Do you have medical insurance from work? All questions that need answers to help figure out your next move. Seems as if she was cited at the accident scene, she is at fault. I wouldn't talk to an attorney just yet....

Old 03-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not only does that accident raise your insurance in a no fault state. Typical no fault laws make it much easier for the other drivers insurance company to screw you even if the driver was written a citation. You really should call a lawyer. It will save you a headache in the future with all this. Glad to hear you are ok though. The day after is always the worst in any kind of accident.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 PM
Robmitch49
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go back to the doctor now. Minor injuries could get worse with time. Document everything. She didn't see you!!!! She needs a big wake up call. If this cost her maybe it would wake her up so she "SEE'S the next motorcycle.
Contact a lawyer.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:29 PM
t-bear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Massachusetts is a no-fault state also.

I was rear ended twice in my car and basically the other persons insurance pays everything it it is deemed their fault.
You should not have to pay anything out of pocket and your insurance should not go up since the other persons insurance will be covering you.

That is my understand anyway.

I would call the insurance company and ask what you should be doing and what you shoudl be expecting.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:30 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pip369
The Leo later told me he had the incident recorded on his dash camera. He saw the whole thing and gave the lady what he called a "citation".

I was blessed to walk away from the deal.

I refused an abulance ride I drove my self to the hospital and got checked out and basically had nothing broken from what they could tell from standard xrays. They wanted to do a CT Scan but I refused that

I now have some pain in my shoulder area at the base of my neck and right side feels weird. Yesterday all I had was a sore right knee and a dull pain along my right side.

Does any have any advice on how to deal with repair costs and medical bills and so on in a no fault state? I am sure the ER visit will be in the thousands as well.

Other bikers I have talked with have said to get an attorney but I want to avoid that unless it is truly necessary.
Since you have refused all of the other advice and medical treatment I recommend you go spend a weekend at Disneyworld. Be sure to ride all of the rides and take a video you can send to the lady's insurance lawyer.

Then when your legal case to recover your damages is completely 100% fubared...come on back on here and tell us how you got screwed by a lawyer.

If you need to ignore any other advice just let me know.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:36 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You refused the ct scan because of the radiation hazard to your health after an accident!? Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't be on a motorcycle in the first place...just sayin'.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:39 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,019 Posts

At stops I always keep bike in gear and watch my review. Sometimes moving up a foot is the difference between ok and on someone's windshield or worse like you found out.

If it is what I know to be a long light I don't put bike in neutral and relax until I have at least two cars behind me.

And one thing I see a lot of riders doing is driving in a way that apparently assumes that the car behind them can stop as quickly as they can.

My dad once told me a mark of a good rider is how little they influence those around them. If you are the guy that brakes late or whips in and out of traffic forcing others to adapt to you or other actions that cause people to do more than maybe ease up on the gas, sooner or later you will pay.

You did nothing wrong, I am very glad you are ok and you are right a stop is always a bad place for a motorcycle to me in.

One last thing... At stop lights in the AM or even rush hour traffic or if there is sun at eyeball level or at a stop after a long no stop area of travel I'll sometimes tap my brake light until people are stopped behind me. Sort of a wake up pay attention move. I hope...

Old 03-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Captain Smooth
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Since you have refused all of the other advice and medical treatment I recommend you go spend a weekend at Disneyworld. Be sure to ride all of the rides and take a video you can send to the lady's insurance lawyer.

Then when your legal case to recover your damages is completely 100% fubared...come on back on here and tell us how you got screwed by a lawyer.

I just lost it when I read this comment....:icon_deadhors e:

Old 03-07-2012, 01:42 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,867 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI

I LOL'd then I said yep he is right, then I LOL'd some more and said yep the OP has screwed himself big time.

Quick Reply: Rear Ended Yesterday