General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Ended Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Ajree
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Her statement that she didn't see you is the winner....in court that is....

Old 03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

i got clobbered from behind last june still involved in the recovery
i dont believe wisconsin, the scene of the crime is a no fault state ,and i dont understand the difference in liability
BUT before you roll this over to an attorney and take 1/3 off the top, figure out what the guy who hit you has for liability and your underinsured policy covers ,they may not be enough to go around when that 1/3 is gone .And do get all the medical advise asap so all your injuries directly correlate to this accident

Old 03-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident...I think you'll be OK with "one" CT scan. With all the head/tooth/body x-rays & scan's I've been through - I should be glowing.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:09 PM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the lady cannot see an obstacle in front of her, she's not fit for driving!
The best it would be to contact a lawyer, but I'd say it's better first if you have a chat with your insurance and see what their advice is. They know what needs to be done, as they are often the one that needs to pay up with other clients at fault.
If you do need to take the CT etc. I wouldn't worry too much for the radiations unless you've already been previously exposed in some specific events.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad your OK........I hear about this happening alot........I went this route

Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

All you guys who are pounding on the guy for not taking the ambulance ride,and not taking the ct scan and screwing himself,are you for real?? Guy almost got hurt real bad and wasn't thinking straight and your pounding on him?What did you forget the cop got a video of it?Give the guy a break.Your the type of guys break a fingernail at work,and want to sue your boss!

Old 03-08-2012, 06:11 AM
Sammy1200N
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The biggest mistake we ever made after getting hit from behind was NOT calling a lawyer. We didn't want to feed into that system, didn't want to be jerks. But there is a lot that has to be done, paperwork, filings, gathering statements. The attorney gets one third of the settlement but it's worth it. You'll still get what you are due without the headaches. Glad you walked away.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting plowed from behind is hard to defend against. Besides keeping it in gear and scanning your mirrors in hopes of getting away, there is another precaution you can take, and a cheap one at that.

Check out Hyperlites. They are LED strobes taht mount on brackets alongside your license plate, and come in 8 an 16 light configurations (I have the 8 light one). you can choose from several different options in flash patterns. Mine has two-the California flash (state law mandated) 5 seconds of flash upon initial brake application followed by steady bright light, or steady continuous flash. I went with steady continuous flash to prevent fromoccurring just waht happened to you-sitting a stop sign/traffic signal and have inattentve driver plow me from behind. My buddy folloed me in his car one day when I was takin the bike in for repair, and he complained that the steady flash became annoying after a few miles. Guess they were doing their job! I'd rather annoy 'em then sue 'em any day.

Hyperlites cost about $85, and took about 45 minutes to install on my Ultra due to the tourpack. they don't detract from the appearance of the bike. Cheap insurance. I'm glad you're ok. Ride safe.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:50 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 2,867 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by pip369
I refused an abulance ride and had the tow truck driver give me a ride home. I drove my self to the hospital and got checked out and basically had nothing broken from what they could tell from standard xrays. They wanted to do a CT Scan but I refused that as I have heard they have high doses of radiation and I really didn't think I needed it. I now have some pain in my shoulder area at the base of my neck and right side feels weird. Yesterday all I had was a sore right knee and a dull pain along my right side.

I have always thought I was most vunerable at stops. I think the above proves it. The bike has about $3500 of damage so far. I am glad HD's are so beefy because I think the bike got the worst of it.

I am in Kansas and it is a no fault state. Does any have any advice on how to deal with repair costs and medical bills and so on in a no fault state? I am sure the ER visit will be in the thousands as well. Other bikers I have talked with have said to get an attorney but I want to avoid that unless it is truly necessary.
Not to add insult to injury…but what the hell were you thinking? Refusing medical attention, not consulting a lawyer, and you're worried about the medical bills, and repair costs?

No fault state or not…you're not paying for ****. You have a cop witness with video. Her insurance company is going to be paying out like a loose slot machine in Vegas.

Do yourself a favor, and go get yourself fully checked out again (medically speaking), and consult legal counsel.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:59 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry 'bout all the typos/misspellings. Can't tell if it's the keyboard again or my dyslexia kicking in!

Quick Reply: Rear Ended Yesterday