General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips for food/sights around New Orleans, LA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 PM
2011RoadKing
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Any tips for food/sights around New Orleans, LA?

My daughter and I will be passing through New Orleans on our way to Florida in the near future. We may spend 1 day and night in NOLA, any reccomendations for a good meal? Best dealer to get a Tshirt?(voodoo HD ?nola HD?) if you only had a half day to ride around or pick specific things to see or do, where would you go? or what is the purdiest most scenic ride in the area?

Best BBQ in memphis TN?

Old 03-06-2012, 11:37 PM
freedub2003
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is or was a "D Day" Museum that was cool, it was somewhere near downtown.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Keith50
Cruiser

Drive pass New Orleans ride the Miss Gulf Coast

Old 03-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Keith50
Cruiser

Southside Cafe in Slidell has food and Mike Brunos North Shore Harley-Davidson is just around the corner.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:16 AM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.urbanspoon.com/rph/50/540...ndezvous-photo

http://www.cozycornerbbq.com/
Everybody visits Rendezvous good eatin, but as a local my favorite place is Cozy coner

Old 03-07-2012, 05:44 AM
duty2
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

I was there last June and found a place called Coop's Place. It's on Decature St. in the French Quarter. The place is small and if you don't get there early, there is a line outside. I had the best red beans and rice with sausage ever.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:48 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a restaurant in N.O. called "Pacal's Manale" (pretty sure the spelling is right). It is south of the French Quarter, not in the main part of the City, remember it being kind of a neghborhood kind of restaurant. One of thos places that hasn't been redecorated since 1962 or so, but photos on the wall of famous people who have gone there (not just celebs, but se serious historical figures I recall). Their claim to fame is "barbequed shrimp". It is amazing! You get a very large bowl filled with the entire shrimp (head, tail, legs) in their own unique sauce. You peel 'em and eat 'em. Everyone gets a bib. Apparently people know about it and come there, and you wouldnt know it to look at it. Not snooty and overpriced like some French Quarter places. You should find it in the AAA guide book to N.O.-that's how I did. Price was reasonable, and my BEST culinary memory of N.O.!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:59 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

P.S.-When you walk around the French Quarter, watch out for the street hustlers (not the "hooker"" variety). They are usually young black kids, but can be young men too, any stranger who comes up overly friendly striking up animated conversation. It's a sport or profession down there, and they prey on N.O. newbies. Trust me, I was fed upon once three times my first time in the Big Easy. By my second and third trips I was able to spot 'em and deflected their rap, so they moved on to fresh meat with a no harm no foul attitude. To them it's an oocupation or a diversion I guess. If you're ready for it it can be kind of funny.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:50 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

i can't remember the name of the place i had my first po'boy sandwich , but you MUST have at least one while you're in NO
here are some recomendations
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...513962972.html

Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Go to the Central Street Grocery and get a Muffalatta sandwich. It's like a round Italian sub with an olive relish piled on it. UMM UMM UMM I am making myself want one just writing this.

Not sure how old your daughter is but if she is young I would not take her around the French Quarter at night. The place can get real seedy with all the perversion.

Last edited by Gitarded; 03-07-2012 at 06:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Any tips for food/sights around New Orleans, LA?