Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My son wants a bike.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 PM
felt918
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My son wants a bike.

My 20 year old son wants to learn to ride a street bike. Let me start off by saying that he is very responsible, he takes a full load in college, and works as much as he can, along with being an intern at the Fire Department.
I recently brought this up to his grand parents on both sides.
All I get is flack on why he shouldn't ride. Yea we all know that it's more dangerous than driving a car. But I feel that he is responsible enough to make the right decisions on a motorcycle. But the other half would never want him to get hurt on a bike. But how cool would that be, out with your son cruising down the road.
So I guess I'm looking for an opinion... I'm still on the fence

Old 03-06-2012, 07:44 PM
trip59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Call me confused... you ride? They love him more and don't care about you?

I know where you're coming from, when I had kids I started to think about all the things I'd done and would I let them, etc.

If he's as responsible as you say, and you're confident he'd be a responsible rider, than why stop him? Sounds to me, if he's into all that stuff, you've done a damn fine job already and should trust what has guided you this far.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 PM
0488FB
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guess I'm right with you on this one. My 18 year old son currently is a senior in High school and is also a very hard working responsible person. He has expressed interest in some day owning a Harley. Currently he is into woods racing quads and dirt bikes. I know it won't be long before the road bike comes, not sure how mom and grandparents will react, hope they are somewhat receptive. I agree, it would be really cool to ride with him. When I got the Fatboy last August, I still had my Honda Shadow 1100, sold it real quick cause I knew he had an interest in it. I felt that he needed to get a few more years of driving a cage under his belt before operating a street bike.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:52 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 20 y/o Daughter has been talking about wanting a sporty. Like you said, motorcycles are inherently more dangerous, but if she takes the course and passes, I have to support her.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 PM
ironman2011
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, he is an adult and it is his decision to make. Period.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He's 20 and wants a bike, I really don't see what the issue is, it's his decision and not really yours or your inlaws. I already had a son on the way, a pending mortgage, and been around the world at 20, he's an adult, let him ride.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:56 PM
KSRoadKing
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get him through a riders course. If he wants to ride, let him. He should enjoy life the way he wants.

BTW - I agree, sounds like you've done a heck of a job raising him.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by felt918
My 20 year old son wants to learn to ride a street bike. Let me start off by saying that he is very responsible, he takes a full load in college, and works as much as he can, along with being an intern at the Fire Department.
I recently brought this up to his grand parents on both sides.
All I get is flack on why he shouldn't ride. Yea we all know that it's more dangerous than driving a car. But I feel that he is responsible enough to make the right decisions on a motorcycle. But the other half would never want him to get hurt on a bike. But how cool would that be, out with your son cruising down the road.
So I guess I'm looking for an opinion... I'm still on the fence
don't take this the wrong way - I am not trying to be a smartass. But he's 20. He will ride if we wants to, whether the grand parents want him to or not. Its your job to make sure e learns the right way.

Best help the yong man out rather than spending energy deciding if he should or not.

I have 2 of my own and know full well how kids think these days. If either of my kids express the interst, I ill do what it takes to make sure they learn the right way and no go of and hide it.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Seriously? He's 20 and needs everyone's permission? Does he need permission to join the Army and get shot in Afghantistan?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Crash75
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You come onto a forum filled with bike enthusiasts and ask others' opinions on your son riding a bike or not? HAHAHA. I could be wrong, but it seems as if you WANT to hear alot of support for this idea because you like the idea of riding with your son and sharing good times with him. I think you know you probably will not get too much skepticism on the idea in here. I'm not criticising at all here...sorry if it sounds that way. I am more amused actually. I think you should go ahead and do it. Who better to teach him the ropes of ridding on the road than you. You've probably tought him tons other stuff....why not continue with something that can turn into tons of quality time and fun together. Sure, there is the element of danger but, life is a balance. Sometimes we have to take small risks to get great rewards. I wish I could have rode with my father when he was still young enough to ride. We never really got along back then.

Quick Reply: My son wants a bike.