General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Throttle Rocker
76.67%
Throttle Boss
23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Throttle rocker vs. Throttle Boss

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 04:08 PM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Throttle rocker vs. Throttle Boss

Just what the subject line says

From what they look like, they do pretty much the same thing,
but the "rocker" looks like a larger paddle

For those who have tried both, which do you prefer and why?

Old 07-26-2005, 10:18 PM
Big Ted
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Throttle rocker vs. Throttle Boss

I have heard of the Throttle rocker, but what is a Throttle boss? Got any info on it or pics?

Old 07-27-2005, 12:43 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Throttle Mate makes a little lever that makes your throttle lock a quick on, quick off propositon. Wife and I each got one at the Fire and Ice rally a couple of weeks ago. I am going to post a pic and address, just haven't got around to it yet.

This little lever is very unobstrusive, easy to use, and allows the throttle to be locked and ulocked with the flip of a thumb, even with heavy gloves on. With it you don't need a rocker.

Regards,

Bill

Old 07-27-2005, 12:58 AM
teach
Cruiser

A throttle rocker is a paddle that wraps the throttle tube and your hand sits on it so you don't have to keep a strong grip on the throttle tube. A throttle boss is smaller normally fastened to the outer 1 inch of the throttle tube and is used for the same purpose. The Kuryakin (sp) grips can be fitted with a factory boss that is designed to fit the look of the grip. They also make a black rubber model.
Personally I have ridden using a rocker and both of the aforementioned boss's. The Rockers are the most comfy as they spread the pressure across the entire palm of your hand, but they are always in the road. The boss's allow you to bypass them easily if you don't need to use them but they apply pressure to a very small area of your hand when in use & can be quite uncomfortable. The biggest problem is the high rotation of your wrist with these items in the proper position for use. You'll have a tendency to not fully shut down the throttle simply because the boss or rocker is in contact with your palm and not fully allowed to rotate to idle.
I personally wouldn't run either anymore & don't because I have cruise, but if I didn't have electronic cruise I think it makes more sense to invest in a throttle lock, ie aftermarket cruise control. Several companies offer them ranging from real cheap and inexpensive to more high end and pricey units. Hope this helps..... T

The following users liked this post:
Z (10-02-2021)
Old 07-29-2005, 06:17 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Here are pics. of the throttle mate that I put on my bike to make locking and unlocking an instant proposition.

Unlocked position

Locked position:

This takes about 1 minute to put on with a small phillips screwdriver.

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM
941Sporty
4th Gear

Thanks billnourse, I had no idea such a thing existed but will definitely try to get ahold of one.. I see this post is about 7 years old, but I don't see any reason why they would stop making them.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:25 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by 941Sporty
Thanks billnourse, I had no idea such a thing existed but will definitely try to get ahold of one.. I see this post is about 7 years old, but I don't see any reason why they would stop making them.
Actually there are a few different companies that make throttle locks. I've had good luck with the Vista-Cruise brand.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:00 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
Here are pics. of the throttle mate that I put on my bike to make locking and unlocking an instant proposition.

Regards,

Bill
I have one of those and I found it completely useless. The travel isn't enough to go from locked to unlocked, so you have to adjust the throttle control screw too tight before mounting and you get a lot of drag when it's off. I have read that, to really make something like these work, you have to modify the whole assembly to a coarser thread.

As for the others, I have the Throttle Rocker, that goes on with a velcro strap, like this:

And I have the Crampbuster that just goes on with friction and a rubber band, like this:

I like the velcro strap mounting method best, but the wide paddle on the throttle rocker gets in the way when you are in town and going slower and on and off the throttle more. I like the thin paddle of the Crampbuster, because you can mount it all the way at the end of the grip and then move your hand to use it or not. I cut my wide throttle rocker down to the width of the Crampbuster.

Last edited by brenn; 11-28-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:05 PM
AKHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been using a Throttle Rocker for years on all my bikes on BOTH grips when out on the highway.

I really like how easily they're micro-adjusted and can be rolled out of the way when in town.

Works for me, Mark H.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had ISO grips with a boss and now use Throttle Mate with my PM grips.
The Throttle Mate allows taking your hand off the grip and maintain your speed.

Quick Reply: Throttle rocker vs. Throttle Boss