General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Throttle Rocker
76.67%
Throttle Boss
23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Throttle rocker vs. Throttle Boss

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
I have one of those and I found it completely useless. The travel isn't enough to go from locked to unlocked, so you have to adjust the throttle control screw too tight before mounting and you get a lot of drag when it's off. I have read that, to really make something like these work, you have to modify the whole assembly to a coarser thread.
I have been using one of these throttle locks for several years:

It's very simple, discreet, & works perfectly. Installation & usage did not involve a tool.

I always use it to warm up the engine. On the highway it's a 1/2 *** cruise control that allows me to relax the hand, zip the jacket or put in earplugs.

I also have a Throttle Rocker, but it is rolled out of the way except on the longest trips.

Last edited by hollowpoint; 11-28-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I looked at putting cruise on my Heritage...$1,100.00+ Found a "cramp buster" throttle rocker for $11.99. Does just what I want it to do, maintain speed while relaxing my hand.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
I have one of those and I found it completely useless. The travel isn't enough to go from locked to unlocked, so you have to adjust the throttle control screw too tight before mounting and you get a lot of drag when it's off. I have read that, to really make something like these work, you have to modify the whole assembly to a coarser thread.
I have the Trottle Mate and it works great. You just have to get it adjusted properly which usually takes some trial and error. It locks and unlocks the throttle just fine and I don't notice any drag like you described.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:03 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XKnight
I have the Trottle Mate and it works great. You just have to get it adjusted properly which usually takes some trial and error. It locks and unlocks the throttle just fine and I don't notice any drag like you described.

Could be. I bought mine for a trip to Mississippi in 2011 and couldn't get it to work right, so I ditched it. Don't even know where it is now.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys...he's not asking about el-cheapo cruise controls. He's asking about the Throttle Rocker and the Kuryakin Throttle Boss.

OP: As far as I know the Throttle Boss is a Kuryakin thing designed to work with their Iso grips. I'm not a fan of Kuryakin crap so I can't comment on how well it works.
There's a product called the Throttle Rocker and also one called the Cramp Buster. They're pretty much kissin' cousins - the Cramp Buster has a wider paddle than the Throttle Rocker but both do the exact same thing and work very well. I always have one and use it all the time, especially on the freeway, to stop numb fingers and hands.
Note: there is also a model that is attached with a velcro strap - lost mine when I tried to loosen it a bit while riding down the road - I replaced it with the regular one (it doesn't fall off).

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 11-29-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Guys...he's not asking about el-cheapo cruise controls. He's asking about the Throttle Rocker and the Kuryakin Throttle Boss.
In that case, I favor the Throttle Rocker - Kuryakyn missed the whole point with their design. Make the Kuryakyn one so that the plam pad swivels out of the way on a hinge and I'll finally use Kuryakyn grips. No way I want one that is constantly in the way.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:06 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As someone else mentioned, they can turn the throttle when you least expect it.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:02 PM
BootsAndPants
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meh, don't like either. They get in the way too much. Random throttle isn't what I need.

No substitute for cruise control for those long trips if it hurts your hands. Another cheap alternative is one of these

Old 11-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BootsAndPants
Meh, don't like either. They get in the way too much. Random throttle isn't what I need.

No substitute for cruise control for those long trips if it hurts your hands. Another cheap alternative is one of these

How does that attach to your bike....wi-fi maybe?

Last edited by Leftcoaster; 11-29-2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Those both cost between $8 -$15. How much cheaper can it get?