General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frustrated newbie w/fatboy that won't run

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 09:33 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: frustrated newbie w/fatboy that won't run

If you can not work on the bike yourself find a good indy shop .The dealers can be very exspensive.
Sounds like the carb needs to be looked at,more specific the jets and needle,etc-.
Could also be an electrical problem.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:14 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the carb may need jetted sure , but he put fresh plugs in so it should fire. First things first , check to see if you have fire . Also there is a diaphram in your fuel petcock that controls flow. even if the valve is "on" if that diaphram is bad it will not allow any fuel to the carb, so check for fuel to . I'm thinking coil or ignition module. It does turn over, just won't start correct ??

Old 12-21-2006, 11:36 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

A couple of things come to mind with the condition you describe:

1. Main jet to rich for setup.
2. Being an 02 it probably has an elecronic ignition check to make sure it's all working properly and you have good spark
3. If it has a points type ignition check the point gap and change the condenser.
4. check the condition of the coils and plug wires to make sure your getting adequate spark.

I'm leaning toward the jetting but that wouldn't explain why it wouldn't start with the new plugs. Once you get the spark and fuel verified I would look into getting the jetting set up right for your new setup. Just my .02

Old 12-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Biggol
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking ride - grats.

Good luck with the problem, sounds like the rejetting is the way to go.

HEY - edit in.. Not trying to bea smart-azz here, but are you sure you turned your fuel switch back on after the last start?

You'd have enough fuel in the lines to warm her up for about 30 sec (maybe up to a min is it's hot and fuel expanded) - if you didn't she surely won't fire back up after new plugs.. *shrug* It's taken a bit for me to get used to the carb system on mine.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biggol
Not trying to bea smart-azz here, but are you sure you turned your fuel switch back on after the last start?
hehehe.. I promise I'm not laughing at anyone but myself here.. I still do that to this day. Doesn't take long to stall out and for me to say to myself...
"Hey duuuumaaaassss, turn on the gas!.. Smooooth move Ex-Lax!.. Petcock valve... Learn it, love it!"

Old 12-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Denier
Intermediate

My Bro-in Law had the same problem. He has a 97 Fatty. He changed the pipes and added the Ness Air Cleaner, rejetted the Carb and still was having the same issue that you had. Then we replaced the original coil with a Screamin' Eagle coil and then replaced the Ignition Module with the performance Screamin' Eagle one (8000 RPM). Hit the top of the original one with a screwdriver and the bike fired right up. Kept on repeating starting and shutting it off. After it failed to start, hit the top of the module and it started right up.

Also, chek the timing. The magnetic pick up was messed up and that was replaced too. I really think this was the problem.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone has made excellent suggestions here, but there is one suggestion that I have from experience. A friend of mine had a plug fouling problem awhile back. We went through everything, ignition, plugs, wires, etc...

It wound up being an air leak around the carb gasket. You can check for air leaks very easily, get the bike running and carefully spray some brake cleaner around every seal on the carb. Don't forget where the manifold connects to the cylinders. If there is an air leak, the rpm will increase as the brake cleaner gets sucked into the combustion chamber.

Old 12-22-2006, 02:48 PM
redscout
Road Captain

I would think an air leak would cause it to run too lean and not carbon up the plugs.... At least in theory.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:26 PM
djaaron
Stage III

thanks everyone for all the help. i'll see what i can figure out.

i can rule out the fuel being turned on, i of course have learned my lesson on that one, too, so it's always the 1st thing i check...

happy holidays everyone