General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Durango, CO Biker Friendly Establishments

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 11:48 AM
RideDglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Group has begun booking at the Durango Downtown Inn, which is right on the edge of town. Three blocks from the Steamworks Brewery where we should be able to stroll, stumble or roll back to the hotel.

Appreciate the responses from folks in CO on the potential for weather. Prompted me to dig deeper in planning and equipping for the ride.

Plan is to make the 1K/24hr IBA from the USS Midway Museum in San Diego to Durango. Day 2 we'll drop back to casual riding, heading North on 550 through the Million Dollar Highway to Grand Junction. If weather conditions through the passes aren't safe we'll break Northwest towards Moab and intersect I70 in Crescent Junction. Head home from there via St George, Vegas....

Mapped all route options on google earth using the elevation profile tool, so we know what to expect.

If weather just doesn't work for us there, fall back to an IBA 1K route that doesn't take us North of Albuquerque.

If that don't work, then we delay to the next weekend.

Really want to make that run through Million Dollar Highway. Some great info out there and videos on youtube.

Fri-Sun, 3 days; IBA qualifier, 2000 miles and 6 states.

Last edited by RideDglide; 03-17-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 04-24-2012, 09:39 PM
RideDglide
Tourer

Sometimes things just go your way....
11 riders set out from San Diego on 20 April, 18 hours later 11 riders arrived in Durango for a total of 1042 miles.

The staff at the Durango Downtown were fantastic. We arrived at midnight and they kept the restaurant open past closing just for us so we could enjoy a hot meal and cold beers.

Day 2, a stop at Durango HD for a check of the conditions over the Million Dollar Highway. All good we made it an easy day to Grand Junction stopping in Silverton and Ouray to enjoy the sights. Unfortunately two riders had to peel off and B line for Vegas so they could be back at work Mon.

Weather couldn't have been better if we were in charge of the planet.

Day 3; Grand Junction to Vegas for a solid night of... well Vegas...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIiD-zT7Njw

Old 04-24-2012, 10:15 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Durango

Wow, love the video! You are around 10 miles from my place up there where I will be on Thursday. Leaving tomorrow AM. The weather won't be as nice this week -- looks like you planned it perfect with the weather. SJ Ron

Old 04-25-2012, 05:41 PM
RideDglide
Tourer

Originally Posted by SanJuanRon
Wow, love the video! You are around 10 miles from my place up there where I will be on Thursday. Leaving tomorrow AM. The weather won't be as nice this week -- looks like you planned it perfect with the weather. SJ Ron
A place up in those parts, eh? Man, that has got to be great... Enjoy

We will be back and soon. Recognize we left a heck of a lot of riding behind.