General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's new "anti-stereotype" ad campaign

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 02:46 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley's new "anti-stereotype" ad campaign

Maybe some Harley marketing personnel are reading the HD Forums and seeing the constant criticism, pro and con, of the Harley stereotype, and are going on the record officially!

http://www.h-d.com/stereotypicalharley

This is reminiscent of the Progressive ads I've been seeing in my AMA magazines lately, too: they have some decent three-piece patch artwork, on the back of leather jackets, that say things like "The Math Teachers" or "The Dog Walkers." The headlines say (paraphrased), "most motorcyclists are other things too."

Harley's taken a lot of heat over the years for trying to sell a "lifestyle," but I think they got the message loud and clearly, and are putting that message out to the world, that jobless, bar-brawling drunks who anchored the stereotype in the past DO NOT help them stay profitable as a company. It's us working folks who have to keep our noses clean, pay our taxes, practice good hygiene, and obey the traffic laws that are keeping them in business, and if they join in making fun of us for stopping at Starbucks, guess what?

Starbucks would keep getting our money... and THEY WOULDN'T.

Cue the chorus of bar-hopping, flea-infested longbeards whining about the "good old days." Just remember, folks: if you have to beg for respect, that only means you haven't earned it.

Good job, Harley. Now, since the temperature is above freezing, I'm going to enjoy my daily two-wheeled commute!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Gotta say I'm really really surprised that they didn't sign Dickey up for this ad.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM
trip59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oy, seriously? With the yup/rub/weekend warrior flood from a couple decades ago, I think there's some perceived stereotypes out there that only exist in the minds of those with persecution complexes.

Personally, I think stereotypes can be quite fun. I was hanging some sheetrock at a shop the other day and during a smoke break a customer struck up a conversation. It was clear that she thought that was my job, what with all the ink, long beard, well worn jeans, etc. I mentioned I didn't do it for a living, I was just helping some friends out and mentioned that she could guess all night and not guess my career.

Yup, big, inked, long beard, old clothes, HD, I must be... A college professor. She barely believed me by the look of surprise on her face, but yup, I run an IT department and am also a college professor. Clearly she thought I looked more suited to a low paying blue collar gig. I do fit in perfectly with my past professions (mechanic and welder) and stand out about in higher ed, but it doesn't bother me one bit. I actually enjoy some of the anonymity I get, no one asking me questions about their computers or about school. Assume what you like folks, I don't really give a fk what you see when you see me, the only opinions I really care about are those close enough to know who I really am anyhow.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:05 PM
4 inch pistons
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 82 Posts

Been fighting the image for years. BTW--Facility manager here. Got tired of it a few years ago and bought a Honda. Found out they are the biggest SOB's around-(and they had the commercial "You meet the friendliest people on a Honda")-I ain't gonna start about BMW riders. The VTX forums had the rudest people I have seen on a forum board.

So--Got me another Harley and resolved myself to "people are gonna think what they want to". I am ME! Deal with what I ride. I ain't changing again.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:05 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, that was a pretty good commercial.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:09 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trip59, you oughtta visit some more general-purpose, all-brands motorcycle forums sometime... seems every sportbiker and BMW rider knows more about what Harley riders are like than we do! Of course, it doesn't help when we have those among us right here who try to tell us we ain't the "real deal" if we aren't kneeling over broke-down shovelheads on the side of the road. Everybody wants to be the grand universal judge of what the "real deal" is.

Good on ya for shredding the stereotypes. Life's short enough without wasting it on preconceived notions and dumb expectations.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:18 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 inch pistons
Been fighting the image for years. BTW--Facility manager here. Got tired of it a few years ago and bought a Honda. Found out they are the biggest SOB's around-(and they had the commercial "You meet the friendliest people on a Honda")-I ain't gonna start about BMW riders. The VTX forums had the rudest people I have seen on a forum board.
This post is so odd, you select your bike depending on how people behave towards you on message board forums? Or on how some random strangers acted towards you?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:20 PM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see something a bit different for a change in the ad/lifestyle dept. I do like Trip59's take on things, and I can get behind the "Live my life my way" philosophy, and stereotypes are a bit much, especially in this day and age, makes you stop and think, and that is a good thing.
just my 0.2 worth.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:21 PM
trip59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
Trip59, you oughtta visit some more general-purpose, all-brands motorcycle forums sometime... seems every sportbiker and BMW rider knows more about what Harley riders are like than we do! Of course, it doesn't help when we have those among us right here who try to tell us we ain't the "real deal" if we aren't kneeling over broke-down shovelheads on the side of the road. Everybody wants to be the grand universal judge of what the "real deal" is.

Good on ya for shredding the stereotypes. Life's short enough without wasting it on preconceived notions and dumb expectations.
Ah, but therein lies the catch, I don't give a **** what they think I was referring more to citizens in general. I used to wrench metrics, some of the most stuck up arseholes I've ever met. I'm on a couple boards big with old English and European bikes, but I find little in common with the power rangers and their angry mosquito sounding bikes.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Pretty good commercial,HD knows who butters their bread.

Quick Reply: Harley's new "anti-stereotype" ad campaign