General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's new "anti-stereotype" ad campaign

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 08:08 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,016 Likes on 17,913 Posts

Originally Posted by sucherman
Though I'd be willing to swap beers and stories with you the river in question is the little Arkansas as it flows through Wichita, KS.. Let me know if you're ever in my neck of the woods and we can share a lane and a lager.
Not far from my ex home base , Kansas City . Did have nice adult entertainment establishments out your way , was always a fun ride on Saturday evening .

Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Back on the original subject , the MoCo coat tailed in on the " lifestyle " just happened that HD was the last surviving big twin it's the only reason the marketing dept managed to pull off the coup it did in 1985 . The bad boy image was being popularized the media of time and lets face it the general public was ready to kill the Andy & Opie look , it was time for a change .
You actually remembered the original subject? Here I thought you were old. I had to go back to page 1 to even remember what started this whole thing......getting old sucks.

A lot of talk about a commercial. Harley Davidson as been in business for a very long time. They apparently know a thing or 2 about marketing and selling their product. No business stays valid for generations by being stupid. They roll with the changes and do what they must to keep selling. If H-D thought producing commercials featuring the "experienced and well worn biker" would sell more product, be sure they would. If H-D thought producing a marketing compaign featuring the "weekend pirate", i would bet my bottom dollar you would see it on every billboard.

H-D really couldn't care less what the current fad is or who the current purchasing market is - they just need to know what it is and use it to their benefit. Much like they did in 1985 and continue to do today.

I really do not care what they advertise or market. This has no bearing on my life one bit.

All I care about now is spring getting here so I can get my bike out of hibernation and back on the road - and figuring out how to replace all my tools some fu*** jack *** stole last year.

Someone remind me why I still live in NE Ohio...........

Old 03-07-2012, 08:21 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Not far from my ex home base , Kansas City . Did have nice adult entertainment establishments out your way , was always a fun ride on Saturday evening .
Still a few such joints around, though nothing like the old days. Dancers are still as pretty as ever just fewer places for them to parade. PC crowd moved most of the real fun into the county. Got a couple of cashinos close by now, if a person was to want to toss some cash away. Guess there aren't many places you haven't at least passed through if you been through Witches titty.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

son of bit**..........NOW you tell me? I've been in this hotel in Kansas City for 4 days now with nothing to do at night. Man, that is just cold.

Oh well, too late now. Got an early am flight out back home to warm and sunny NE Ohio.

I do expect a full list of establishments, directions, and names for my return in 2013. well, unless those Myans were right then it won't matter much.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 PM
Agent777
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sucherman
Though I'd be willing to swap beers and stories with you the river in question is the little Arkansas as it flows through Wichita, KS.. Let me know if you're ever in my neck of the woods and we can share a lane and a lager.
Thanks for the invite. I do get five weeks vacation this year...

Old 03-07-2012, 08:27 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Agent777
Thanks for the invite. I do get five weeks vacation this year...
PM me if you're gonna be in the area and we'll meet up.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,016 Likes on 17,913 Posts

Originally Posted by simpkinst
You actually remembered the original subject? Here I thought you were old. I had to go back to page 1 to even remember what started this whole thing......getting old sucks.

A lot of talk about a commercial. Harley Davidson as been in business for a very long time. They apparently know a thing or 2 about marketing and selling their product. No business stays valid for generations by being stupid. They roll with the changes and do what they must to keep selling. If H-D thought producing commercials featuring the "experienced and well worn biker" would sell more product, be sure they would. If H-D thought producing a marketing compaign featuring the "weekend pirate", i would bet my bottom dollar you would see it on every billboard.

H-D really couldn't care less what the current fad is or who the current purchasing market is - they just need to know what it is and use it to their benefit. Much like they did in 1985 and continue to do today.

I really do not care what they advertise or market. This has no bearing on my life one bit.

All I care about now is spring getting here so I can get my bike out of hibernation and back on the road - and figuring out how to replace all my tools some fu*** jack *** stole last year.

Someone remind me why I still live in NE Ohio...........
They don't have to spend a dime on that kind of marketing scheme they have a few million walking billboards out every weekend & at everything even faintly to do with bikes that paid for the privilege of doing it . Genius if you think about it but there is a limit both age & weight wise where it really does look comical if we're honest about it .

Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 PM
JRP267
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok I got a few questions. What the hell is a pirate? I thought they were somalies robbing ships guess not. Please define rub.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

R.U.B= Rich Urban Biker. Pirate is one ho wears the whole leather biker garb or outfit. Similarly rice rocket guts in there outfits get called power rangers or storm troopers.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by JRP267
Ok I got a few questions. What the hell is a pirate? I thought they were somalies robbing ships guess not. Please define rub.
Somali pirates are much cooler...

Quick Reply: Harley's new "anti-stereotype" ad campaign