General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's new "anti-stereotype" ad campaign

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:54 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RoaringRigid, I guess I got my answer: you are NOT a sock-puppet account for the other poor bastard who doesn't know what a "semiwadcutter" is, because he said my load was too LIGHT, and you're saying it's too HOT! Interesting. My recipe must be right in the goldilocks zone.

In fact, Alliant Powder's website gives a recipe for my exact projectile weight and shape:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...3&cartridge=28

Looks like I am exactly half a grain hotter than their recommendation, which, as I pointed out earlier, is at the top end of the range suggested in the Lyman and Hornady manuals.

You are pretty sharp, commenting on the long guns bit, too, because in fact, though you may not have known it, "semiwadcutter" is almost EXACTLY the same as a RNFP bullet, except it is straight where the RNFP has a curved ogive, AND it has... wait for it... slightly larger surface area on the flat tip. Which makes it PERFECT for lever-guns! And ta-daa, we have a great use case for my recipe: good all-arounder that works from revolvers and levers alike, especially for bringing in game. The heavier mass cuts into the velocity, yes, but also means it doesn't shed energy as fast if it strikes a tough hide or bone. Greater penetration, and all.

Anyway, I guess the signature works. I've had numerous private conversations trading recipes with other loaders here as a result of it, and now YOU got to learn something new! For bonus points, you can read the Wikipedia article on "semiwadcutter" and see what features Elmer Keith designed into his bullets to make them more effective for hunting, too. It's interesting, if you're into that sort of thing... and you won't be taken for an ignorant newbie next time, perhaps!

You can send me your recipes for .338 if you like, but from coming from newer shooters, I will of course be comparing them to the manuals.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled stereotype-reinforcement!

Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
You think the bean counters could figure that out - the reason young uns don't buy new Harleys - they cost too much.

Yep and when you are young and you see that for much less you can get a bike that at least on paper seems like a better deal than that is what they are going to buy.

I always hear sport bike riders complaining that Harleys suck because they are not as fast or as "nimble" and while that may be true the assumption they have is that speed and nimble always means better and that for a bike to be better is those 2 things.

Not all riders desire that speed, not all riders desire that race track readiness. Not all drivers want a Lotus and despite their low price point and capability they certainly are not the best cars.

I think I understand what I am saying

Old 03-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
Yep and when you are young and you see that for much less you can get a bike that at least on paper seems like a better deal than that is what they are going to buy.

I always hear sport bike riders complaining that Harleys suck because they are not as fast or as "nimble" and while that may be true the assumption they have is that speed and nimble always means better and that for a bike to be better is those 2 things.

Not all riders desire that speed, not all riders desire that race track readiness. Not all drivers want a Lotus and despite their low price point and capability they certainly are not the best cars.

I think I understand what I am saying
Dude, you are in danger of bringing this back on topic.....

Old 03-07-2012, 03:15 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
RoaringRigid, I guess I got my answer: you are NOT a sock-puppet account for the other poor bastard who doesn't know what a "semiwadcutter" is, because he said my load was too LIGHT, and you're saying it's too HOT! Interesting. My recipe must be right in the goldilocks zone.

In fact, Alliant Powder's website gives a recipe for my exact projectile weight and shape:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...3&cartridge=28

Looks like I am exactly half a grain hotter than their recommendation, which, as I pointed out earlier, is at the top end of the range suggested in the Lyman and Hornady manuals.

You are pretty sharp, commenting on the long guns bit, too, because in fact, though you may not have known it, "semiwadcutter" is almost EXACTLY the same as a RNFP bullet, except it is straight where the RNFP has a curved ogive, AND it has... wait for it... slightly larger surface area on the flat tip. Which makes it PERFECT for lever-guns! And ta-daa, we have a great use case for my recipe: good all-arounder that works from revolvers and levers alike, especially for bringing in game. The heavier mass cuts into the velocity, yes, but also means it doesn't shed energy as fast if it strikes a tough hide or bone. Greater penetration, and all.

Anyway, I guess the signature works. I've had numerous private conversations trading recipes with other loaders here as a result of it, and now YOU got to learn something new! For bonus points, you can read the Wikipedia article on "semiwadcutter" and see what features Elmer Keith designed into his bullets to make them more effective for hunting, too. It's interesting, if you're into that sort of thing... and you won't be taken for an ignorant newbie next time, perhaps!

You can send me your recipes for .338 if you like, but from coming from newer shooters, I will of course be comparing them to the manuals.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled stereotype-reinforcement!

You are not Elmer Keith, there have been a ton of advancements since then. While he was great in the day it is like saying a 30-06 is still the best game round for the US. It was not anymore.

I am not disputing that there are recipes similar to yours but I am saying.

1. Wadcutters of any type are best left to targets in 2012
2. 158gr wadcutters at around 1100 fps is too fast for it by about 200 fps give or take
3. This load might be good for guys who go hunting wearing buckskin boots, whilst strapping a bowie knife to their leg and carrying only a bag of pemmican for protein. But there are at last count exactly 56 billion better rounds out there.
4. I am still not convinced that the type of wadcutter you are talking about is appropriate for that much unique and those velocities.

And my last 2 points are 1. do not assume to lecture me on ballistics. You are talking off the back porch loads. I am talking about reloading for ultra long range shooting and I can guarantee we are in entirely different leagues there.

and 2. This is now my thread and we are going to continue discussing the marketing missteps of Harley Davidson, because while I would never presume to speak for everyone here I will venture to say... We'd like you to be quiet now there are adults having a conversation and you are boring us.

I am sorry something has driven you over the edge in your life but you sir are dismissed.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:16 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Dude, you are in danger of bringing this back on topic.....

Oops sorry... It is just that your comment was so you know, normal I couldn't resist.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I'd think it foul the rifling with lead so fast it wouldn't hold a pattern in a bucket at 3 feet , I didn't care for flake powder for a pistol round anyway it was always dirty as hell with my .44's .
yeah just seems kind of unnecessarily old news. Don't get me wrong I love ballistics and discussions of this nature I just don't think 158gr rounds out a lever, or a revolver is the best bet.

You'd get so much more out of a modern round pushed at a reasonable speed. I am way out of the loop on 357 as it is just not something I'd ever use but seems to me with most rifling a wadcutter would be close to breaking apart at that speed with a quick twist.

Sorta like using a really lightly jacketed 5.56mm round out of a fast twist barrel. You can actually spin it to death. Or so I am told.

It is just odd to me that someone with the screen name .357 magnum and with that signature line would go with THAT load. Oh well if it works for him against his imaginary bears and rascally rabbits.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:25 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 03-07-2012, 03:26 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're so expert on load-workups, how come you're STILL confusing semiwadcutters with wadcutters? They're different shapes, designed for different purposes.

At this point, I think you've just relegated yourself to the company of folks like TwiZ, whose idea of a "poser" is people who get to ride to Tombstone when he doesn't. You want to consider yourself an expert, but can't even get the basics straight.

Could you please point me to these adults having a conversation, so that I may see more of what they're saying and less of your drivel?

Old 03-07-2012, 03:28 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

The Mo Co seems to be somewhat successful marketing to Veterans. They also seem to have secured a niche with the women as well. I find that many of their newer entry level models have retro styling cues that seem to be working also. You know, retro, as in wanna be versions of rides like a few on this Forum have been riding for more than a few miles.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You think the bean counters could figure that out - the reason young uns don't buy new Harleys - they cost too much.
I remember a similar discussion about the Vrod (is it V-Rod? or maybe VRod?)

Anyway, the prevailing wisdom was that the kids who may have liked it couldn't afford it and the (older) traditionalists who could have afforded it could not stand it.

Quick Reply: Harley's new "anti-stereotype" ad campaign