General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's new "anti-stereotype" ad campaign

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:34 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They've been directing a lot of marketing at women lately too, which probably really irks some of the "no-gurls-allowed" little-boys-club members. I love to see a woman riding her own ride, though.

News story from a couple months ago even reports Mary Kay is offering a PINK Dyna Switchback as an alternative to the pink Cadillac incentive. Plus you've probably all seen the blingy headlight and gauge rings in the accessory catalog, yeah?

Those don't hurt my feelings any! Enjoy your rides, ladies, whatever your tastes and preferences!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:39 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To me riding is a man's club, like watching football on Sundays at my local dive bar. There are very few activities I get to do to get away from the wife and my friends wives or girlfriends. It's good to share in that comraderie sometimes with just the boys, even if it's very short lived. I don't care if women ride, I just don't ride with them (unless my wife is on the back every now and again).

As for the ad campaign I don't really get it, the "stereotypical harley rider" is NOT some long bearded bad *** anymore, this isn't 1982, that image has long been replaced with the rich RUB dentist, poser in a pirate costume, or the regular dude who just puts around town as the typical Harley rider to be honest.

Last edited by babalu; 03-05-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:41 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

"It's us working folks who have to keep our noses clean, pay our taxes, practice good hygiene, and obey the traffic laws that are keeping them in business, and if they join in making fun of us for stopping at Starbucks, guess what?

Starbucks would keep getting our money... and THEY WOULDN'T.

Cue the chorus of bar-hopping, flea-infested longbeards whining about the "good old days." Just remember, folks: if you have to beg for respect, that only means you haven't earned it."

Wow, I am sure that you will feel vindicated now when you and your friends cruise 5 miles to the local Starbucks for your $8 coffee in your brand new HD branded gear and call each other bro for braving that rush hour traffic....

And the inference that "old school" bikers don't pay taxes and all that other crap is just indicative of how biased and stupid your type are.... GFYS

Last edited by jakenok; 03-05-2012 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:45 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ain't nothing wrong with Starbuck's, a Caramel Machiato is the ****.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:46 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer

Originally Posted by babalu
As for the ad campaign I don't really get it, the "stereotypical harley rider" is NOT some long bearded bad *** anymore, this isn't 1982, that image has long been replaced with the rich RUB dentist, poser in a pirate costume, or the regular dude who just puts around town as the typical Harley rider to be honest.
Umm, that's kind of the whole point, babalu... the rich RUB dentist is NOT the "poser" any more; the rich RUB dentist is the one taking the coast-to-coast trips and two-wheeled vacations while the "posers" are the bitter, broke bar-brawlers crying in their Sclitz Malt Liquor in run-down bar districts, lamenting the rich RUB dentists.

See you out there on the lonely back-country highways!

Or not!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:47 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It's just Harley's response to my articles

Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
They've been directing a lot of marketing at women lately too, which probably really irks some of the "no-gurls-allowed" little-boys-club members. !

You've got it all figured out, don't you? And, I imagine, that you wouldn't set foot around one of those "little boys clubs" and articulate your disdain for them.... You'd be too busy obeying the law and washing yourself.....

Old 03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
To me riding is a man's club, like watching football on Sundays at my local dive bar. There are very few activities I get to do to get away from the wife and my friends wives or girlfriends. It's good to share in that comraderie sometimes with just the boys, even if it's very short lived. I don't care if women ride, I just don't ride with them (unless my wife is on the back every now and again).

When I read the OP, I was thinking the same thing.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:50 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer

Originally Posted by jakenok
You'd be too busy obeying the law and washing yourself.....
Or, um, maybe OUT RIDING? Funny how much of that you can get in, when you don't have to meet with your parole officer regularly.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I can say is, it's about time Harley began to step away from that old stereotype. They want to broaden their appeal beyond the 'Sons of Anarchy' fantasy, and that's a good thing. Someone supposedly asked old time gangster Willie Sutton why he robbed banks. His answer: "Because that's where the money is." Clearly, the money now lies beyond the old timers and make-believe bad boys and girls. The people now running Harley aren't stupid. Times have changed. They have to get with the program or get left behind.

Quick Reply: Harley's new "anti-stereotype" ad campaign