General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's new "anti-stereotype" ad campaign

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by twizted biker
gotta be a yup /rub or you'd know it isn't about money . [/size][/font]
lol

And in the video all the chefs, etc all still look like pirates. A swing and a miss....back in the day Harley didn't need to advertise.

Last edited by Harley_Dude; 03-06-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:55 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
well, maybe you could clue us in
Bryan if you have to ask you wouldn't understand... nanner-nanner-nanner...

Old 03-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
To me riding is a man's club, like watching football on Sundays at my local dive bar. There are very few activities I get to do to get away from the wife and my friends wives or girlfriends. It's good to share in that comraderie sometimes with just the boys, even if it's very short lived. I don't care if women ride, I just don't ride with them (unless my wife is on the back every now and again).

As for the ad campaign I don't really get it, the "stereotypical harley rider" is NOT some long bearded bad *** anymore, this isn't 1982, that image has long been replaced with the rich RUB dentist, poser in a pirate costume, or the regular dude who just puts around town as the typical Harley rider to be honest.
Ah, the good 'ole days... If women didn't ride so much now, there wouldn't be any arguments concerning what constitutes a "chick bike." You gotta' give 'em credit - they know how to bring the rain to the parade.

Someone metioned in another post here that stereotypes are fun. Hmmm, never thought of that, but there's an element of truth to that.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The "image" is for people who have no self esteem of their own. They need to be part of someone else's "club" in order to be identified with something other than what they truly are....

HD has been stoking the fires of the tatooed up, partied up and drugged up scumbags for years, while making millions of dollars selling the "image" to those who are actually empty enough to buy it.
For that reason, I don't own or wear one stitch on HD clothing. It's embarrassing for me to be associated with "wanna-bes" of something else.. The defenders of the "lifestyle"... What a joke.. Then it's time to actually "get a life".

Their latest "pink" campaign features a stoned looking older woman who looks like she did the whole Full Throttle saloon on the bar last night.
Not the image I respect.

I would bet they are looking clearly into the future to see where the next generation of spenders are coming from. HD is not interested in the nickel and dime customer in the future, they want customers who can actually afford the products and services.

Last edited by George C; 03-06-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George C
Their latest "pink" campaign features a stoned looking older woman who looks like she did the whole Full Throttle saloon on the bar last night.
Not the image I respect.
That's what I'm talking about! Someone you could take home to Step-Mom!

Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,016 Likes on 17,913 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchman
Does that mean we should be prepared for the next wave of clean cut "bore me to death" citizens? More law abiding Joe Blows and bike week trailerers? Great, exactly what we needed. More punching bags!
Christmas last with the inlaws they took us into Tombstone Az. for an afternoon and on main street the local geezer glide dress up crew had the bikes all lined up and they where in all full poser gear . My 86 yr old father in law looked at me and said " I know you are into the motors I've seen your garage but what are they ? " Nuff said .

Old 03-06-2012, 01:25 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Christmas last with the inlaws they took us into Tombstone Az. for an afternoon and on main street the local geezer glide dress up crew had the bikes all lined up and they where in all full poser gear . My 86 yr old father in law looked at me and said " I know you are into the motors I've seen your garage but what are they ? " Nuff said .
"Nuff said" indeed! You have a GARAGE full of motorcycles, whereas theirs are actually out in the street, being ridden, to scenic destinations, with sun and rain and fresh air...

But for some people, that distinction is unimportant. What really matters is what you have in the "garage."

"Nuff said" indeed! Thanks for the beautiful illustration; couldn't have put it better myself!

Old 03-06-2012, 02:02 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
"Nuff said" indeed! You have a GARAGE full of motorcycles, whereas theirs are actually out in the street, being ridden, to scenic destinations, with sun and rain and fresh air...

But for some people, that distinction is unimportant. What really matters is what you have in the "garage."

"Nuff said" indeed! Thanks for the beautiful illustration; couldn't have put it better myself!
There are 3 things that becomequite obvious:
1 You don't know what you're talking about
2 You have no clue who you're talking to
3 You talk out of your ***. Try the other end, maybe there will be a little less **** coming out.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:16 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bjewell
Bryan if you have to ask you wouldn't understand... nanner-nanner-nanner...
very good

Old 03-06-2012, 02:19 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's nice, frenchman. Come back when you have something useful to add to the thread.

Quick Reply: Harley's new "anti-stereotype" ad campaign