General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's new "anti-stereotype" ad campaign

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by .357 Magnum
jobless, bar-brawling drunks who anchored the stereotype in the past DO NOT help them stay profitable as a company. It's us working folks who have to keep our noses clean, pay our taxes, practice good hygiene, and obey the traffic laws that are keeping them in business, and if they join in making fun of us for stopping at Starbucks, guess what?
Yeah, but everybody wants to be a jobless bar brawling dirt bag.....they're still the ones selling the bikes.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Warpfield
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Soccer Mom & Honor Student are pretty hot. But of course.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
The other factor is that if you truly live the biker lifestyle you probably can't afford a new and expensive Harley.
Sure ya can, just let the RUBs take the hit on the new one, buy it two months later for half (when they realize it wasn't an INVESTMENT), then chop the **** outta it. Either that or just steal it......then chop the **** outta it.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:49 AM
11Heritage
Advanced

For me this sillyness is over and its time for me to get serious....I believe I will enjoy the 50+ degree weather and play with my bike. Its been a very long winter for this boy!

Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 AM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bjewell
Why not be just a bit more repsectful of some of the folks here and lose the attitude?
YES! THAT IS THE MESSAGE! Congratulations; you're now on the same "side" as Harley and us non-bar-hopping riders. Okay, now that you know the WORDS of the message, you start practicing it, and I'll be right behind you.

(In other words, if you'd just listened to what I said in the very first post and remembered that "if you have to beg for respect, you haven't earned it," you'd probably already HAVE that respect.)

By the way, what's up with my signature? I mostly forgot about it since I first edited it, but it sure gets a lot of comments, even though it has nothing to do with the subject. Maybe it's just a bunch of butt-hurt crybabies who can't think of anything substantial to say about the thread, so they're lashing out to find ANYTHING to criticize about me?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pot meet kettle.
Which is blacker is the argument?

Old 03-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer

I thought it was a pretty good commercial. The 50 cent phrase for what HD has been doing is selling "downward pecuniary emulation." That means that they packaged and resold the outlaw biker stereotype. Now, usually, it is "upward pecuniary emulation" that the American (and global) public submits to. That is, we want what the upper crust has. Think Cristal, Mercedes Benz etc... A lot of people will go deep into debt to have the nice stuff and appear to be richer than they are. "All flash no cash." But, it would seem with this newest ad campaign that HD is shifting from selling the "bad boy" image to getting in line with the people who are actually able to afford these (new) expensive machines. Sorry, to me this idea is interesting. I can understand if I have just cured your insomnia.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,016 Likes on 17,913 Posts

So the press and the MoCo have finally clued to what some of us have been laughing at for years , priceless .

Old 03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,016 Likes on 17,913 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
The other factor is that if you truly live the biker lifestyle you probably can't afford a new and expensive Harley.

Yo gut bucket , what makes you think everyone is just dying to buy a new toy ? A bit presumptuous isn't that ? particularly since older bikes are holding and increasing in value much faster than the overpriced china ch*nka based twinkies you seem all enamored with . Gotta be a yup /rub or you'd know it isn't about money .

Old 03-06-2012, 12:51 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does that mean we should be prepared for the next wave of clean cut "bore me to death" citizens? More law abiding Joe Blows and bike week trailerers? Great, exactly what we needed. More punching bags!

Quick Reply: Harley's new "anti-stereotype" ad campaign