General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with boots?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012 | 09:46 AM
HDmikie
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default What's up with boots?

I know I'll get hammered for this but I don't get why boots are such a big deal......especially when it's 90+ degrees outside. I see guys wearing boots and jeans, but then just have a sleeveless T-shirt on. I understand boots are suppose to protect your feet and ankles if you crash, but why wear boots along with a T-shirt? Myself, I don't wear boots on hot days. Don't like sweaty feet and wet socks. I don't mind wearing boots in the Spring and Fall, but thick, breathing tennis shoes are much better on hot days. What say you guys?

Old 03-05-2012 | 09:51 AM
09heritagerider
Road Captain

Heard too many stories of guys getting their feet/legs mangled in wrecks by wearing tennis shoes. Since my accident, I have been wearing boots, jeans, and a leather jacket almost every time I ride.

Old 03-05-2012 | 09:55 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

I'll be honest I've wrecked so I cant imagine wearing a t-shirt and tennis shoes but if thats what you want to do go for it. Doesnt really bother me what others wear just wear what you are comfortable with.

Old 03-05-2012 | 10:04 AM
Axman
Advanced

A crushed foot, not bein able to walk for three months and a deformed foot for the rest of my Life is reason enough for me.

Old 03-05-2012 | 10:06 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

At least once a day here in the summer I see a guy on a Harley wearing flip~flops. It is always good for my daily chuckle! As for me, I always wear heavy boots and leather gloves, even when it's 110° out. For short summer rides I just wear jeans and a long sleeve tshirt. Not enough gear for sure, but wear what makes you comfortable or feel safe.

Old 03-05-2012 | 10:12 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member

You dress for the crash, not for the ride.

Old 03-05-2012 | 10:16 AM
05RKCRider
Cruiser

I wear long pants, & boots everytime I ride, I'm lax on jacket in summer, my leathers are just to damn hot, but am looking at some HD FXRG jackets for summer wear. I've totaled two mc & been fortunate both times as far as injuries go, both times I bounced off cage instead of road, ergo no road rash just bruises. I have seen what road rash does & it ain't pretty. Just my opinion, everyone is free to do what they want.

Old 03-05-2012 | 10:16 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

I find boots are comfortable, but I'm known for wearing a pair of chucks when I feel like it.

Weigh the risks and make a decision- there are good riding shoes out there.

Old 03-05-2012 | 10:26 AM
Skid Lid
Road Master

Originally Posted by HDmikie
I know I'll get hammered for this but I don't get why boots are such a big deal......especially when it's 90+ degrees outside. I see guys wearing boots and jeans, but then just have a sleeveless T-shirt on. I understand boots are suppose to protect your feet and ankles if you crash, but why wear boots along with a T-shirt? Myself, I don't wear boots on hot days. Don't like sweaty feet and wet socks. I don't mind wearing boots in the Spring and Fall, but thick, breathing tennis shoes are much better on hot days. What say you guys?
The words of someone who has never had or seen what someones ankle bone looks like after been ground into the pavement with or without a 400 pound bike on it. Skin that is worn away will grow back, bone that is ground down especially on a joint is for a lack of better words FU(KED. I used to race Superbikes, and you only need to go down once and look at your boots to see how badly your ankles get abused.

Old 03-05-2012 | 10:34 AM
Clayvis
Road Master

I've always worn boots, jeans and a helmet, even in the Florida summer. Last summer I went down and my right ankle was pinned under the frame of my 714 lb. bike. In less than 2 minutes, some good folks lifted the bike off me. I was also wearing a Shoei helmet, long sleeve shirt, and leather vest. The boot saved my foot/ankle from major injury. Other than brusing and road rash on my right arm, I was ok. I even rode the bike home. It would have been a totally different story with sneakers (or flip flops) on with shorts, and no helmet. But I'm sure the guys with no protective gear know they are superior riders and will never crash.....for their sake, I hope they're right.

Quick Reply: What's up with boots?