General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with boots?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012 | 12:32 PM
jwhardin
Road Master

Originally Posted by HDmikie
I know I'll get hammered for this but I don't get why boots are such a big deal......especially when it's 90+ degrees outside. I see guys wearing boots and jeans, but then just have a sleeveless T-shirt on. I understand boots are suppose to protect your feet and ankles if you crash, but why wear boots along with a T-shirt? Myself, I don't wear boots on hot days. Don't like sweaty feet and wet socks. I don't mind wearing boots in the Spring and Fall, but thick, breathing tennis shoes are much better on hot days. What say you guys?
wear what ya want. Hell, go barefoot! Whatever you like.

It's a free country.

Old 03-05-2012 | 12:40 PM
HDmikie
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter
I'm amazed that you even asked this.
Yep, like I said.........I knew I would get hammered for this. To me, if I am hot while riding, I am uncomfortable........when uncomfortable the ride isn't much fun.

Last summer I met up with a guy at a stoplight who was riding a Goldwing Trike. He was a "all the gear all the time" guy. It was 94 degrees and when he looked at me through steamed up helmet shield, I could see sweat just pouring off his face.........I thought to myself, how can this guy be enjoying himself? Anyways, on hot days I guess I'll just take the risk to enjoy the ride....nope, no flip-flops for me.........just mesh tennis shoes. However, come Fall, I'll wear the boots.

Btw, I too have a fu(ked up ankle. Broke it while pheasant hunting about 4 years ago. Still hurts a little. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Last edited by HDmikie; 03-05-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-05-2012 | 12:46 PM
Geezer2
Ultimate HDF Member

I've got screws and a plate in my left ankle, work related, but it took 5 months to recover from that. So, now I dress for as much protection as I can stand. Always boots, good jacket, leather or textile w/ armor, good helmet. As my mom used to say, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!!" It's your body, so suit yourself! Geez

Old 03-05-2012 | 01:02 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Not just protection but a sturdy boot gives me good footing when handling an 800+ lb bike, the Vibram non-slip sole also doesn't slip when I put my feet down. I wouldn't want to roll an ankle in tennis shoes at a stop light or whatever.

Old 03-05-2012 | 01:16 PM
DDuess
Road Captain

I have armored flow thru pants, about as good as shorts, no sunburn, I wear shorts under them, a flow thru jacket with armor, maybe not as good as a tee shirt, but again, no sunburn, no bees stinging me under my shirt, full face helmet, no sunburn, vented helmet, much better then the old hotbox full face helmets of the 80's, and some (H&H) Harley boots, zip up the inside, and they allow just enough air to keep comfortable. I have slid down the road on my protective gear a few years back, used my gloves, helmet, jacket and pants, and boots, but broke nothing and grew back no skin, and I think the heat at a light for a few moments is worth it.

Old 03-05-2012 | 01:19 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dixie Dreg
You dress for the crash, not for the ride.
+1.....

Old 03-05-2012 | 01:19 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

What is even more puzzling to me is why so many men on a single forum are so worried about what other men wear.

Honest to God I don't recall another forum with so much fashion talk.

Wear what you want and mind your own business. you'll be happier.

Old 03-05-2012 | 01:36 PM
IMG2
Cruiser

I always wear jeans, a helmet and boots. I wear a leather jacket if it's below 80-85 or long long as I can take it. As far as the boots, I figure between road hazards and your feet being the only thing to touch the ground, I like them to have as much protection and support as resonably possible.

Old 03-05-2012 | 01:47 PM
HDmikie
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
What is even more puzzling to me is why so many men on a single forum are so worried about what other men wear.

Honest to God I don't recall another forum with so much fashion talk.

Wear what you want and mind your own business. you'll be happier.
Yep and you posted the 27th reply (so far). I've seen newbies (me included) come on here and get bashed for asking questions that have already been asked.........kinda makes me wonder why chat rooms even exist. Apparently certain people here only want "their" topics discussed and the hell with other's concerns. Maybe I'll do what you said.....mind my own business and just lurk the forums.....ya think? Besides, it won't be long before riding season begins and most us will be to busy riding to spend time here gabbing like a bunch of hens......right?

Old 03-05-2012 | 02:00 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member

Your feet, your choice. I like boots b/c I only have two feet....

Quick Reply: What's up with boots?