General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with boots?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012 | 05:47 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

The highest percentage of injuries to both rider and passenger is to the feet and legs.

Old 03-10-2012 | 06:32 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Yah what is up with the boot thing ?

Old 03-10-2012 | 08:02 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Yah what is up with the boot thing ?

There's boots in that photo?

Old 03-10-2012 | 08:21 PM
Bluetoys
Road Master

All those posts and nobody said this:
Our exhausts are low and hot, most of the leg burns I've seen from riders and passengers are those that aren't wearing decent boots. That's one of the main reasons I wear them.
Another is because they help keep my jeans from blowing up my leg when I'm riding, i have forward pegs.
And, of course, for some of the reasons already stated.

Old 03-10-2012 | 08:37 PM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Well.....

Bluetoys, I mentioned my burns obtained in my high side slide, and the boots wouldn't have helped. These burns were on the inside of my lower left thigh which was riding my rear exhaust pie during this excursion. Apparently during my fall I managed to climb part way around and ended up drapped mostly on the left side of my bike as it hopped, skipped and slid on my crash rails down the street. I didn't get all of me over which resulted in my right leg and arm road rash, my head bounce and my shoulder damage, but I'm happy to report that I got my "Boys" out of the danger zone.
Your mind takes over goes into auto-pilot and protects what's important.

Harley Ranger, after seeing that photo I realize that I need to quit whining about my minor road rash and burn. UGGGHHHH!

Old 03-10-2012 | 09:26 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

thanks a lot, now I can't get that fuken foot pic out of my mind, fukkkkerr

Old 03-10-2012 | 09:50 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

Originally Posted by HDmikie
I know I'll get hammered for this but I don't get why boots are such a big deal......especially when it's 90+ degrees outside. I see guys wearing boots and jeans, but then just have a sleeveless T-shirt on. I understand boots are suppose to protect your feet and ankles if you crash, but why wear boots along with a T-shirt? Myself, I don't wear boots on hot days. Don't like sweaty feet and wet socks. I don't mind wearing boots in the Spring and Fall, but thick, breathing tennis shoes are much better on hot days. What say you guys?
Does you bike go faster while wearing tennis shoes? If so, you should open a business that sells the tennis shoes you wear....You will be an overnight success!

Old 03-10-2012 | 10:08 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member

We all justify a bit. Many of us have rules we won't break. My favorite is jeans. Jeans, jeans, jeans. I love jeans and they are my go to pants. Can't wear jeans to work though. I get dirty looks wearing khaki's on the bike to work. Can jeans really do any better helping minimize road rash though? I seriously doubt it. They are both cotton and will both be shredded in an instant. When I do wear khaki's I do wear ankle boots though. They are just nicer boots then a weekend so I can get away with them in my business casual environment. Then there is the t-shirt we all accept. What is that gonna do? And is a leather vest very helpful really?

A lot of this justification I think comes up with touring bikes. Windshield, batwing, lower fairing, floorboards, and heal/toes. You are blocked well enough that it gets pretty damn hot, even when you are moving. I gave up on a full-face quick. With no wind getting to it, it fogs in many conditions and gets blistering hot in summer. Blocked wind to your legs, plus engine heat, make pants hot. We start to justify. I wear full gloves one hundred percent of the time. There are a few real hot days in summer I justify shorts. When I do I wear leather hi-tops that look OK with shorts. Hoping the leather in the hi-tops is enough to help. It is less than 5% of my rides and hope that if I do crash it will not be during that small percent. Yes, I know, I know...Murphy is a *****! But I'm justifying here! *LOL*

To the stat finders: I'm curious as to whether there are stats for percentage of motorcycles in accidents are Harley's and percentage of Harley accidents that are touring bikes. A friend I ride with a lot has a rice rocket. When he leads we get cut off a WHOOOLE lot more than when I lead. Actually when I lead it is damn near non-existent. Think it has happened once but that doesn't stop me from believing that everyone is trying to kill me at all times.

Last edited by Dew Me; 03-10-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2012 | 10:11 PM
jlfabian
Tourer

I've ridden in my Merrell's before. While they are comfortable and likely offer more protection than standard tennis shoes, I definitely felt that my ankles were dangerously exposed. I typically wear a pair of steel-toed work boot that cover my ankles. I don;t find them to be that hot and they offer very good protection from the heat of the road (in summer the pavement gets very hot) as well as protection from abrasion and small objects An added advantage is the steel-toe offers a good weapon for getting someone's attention that isn't paying attention. Ride however you want. I'll ride however I want. Not necessarily ATGATT, but fairly close. It is, after all, my skin and bones.

Old 03-10-2012 | 10:25 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

I ride in chucks all day every day.

Stability? I do 500 lb back squats and 595lb dead lifts in my chucks. They're stable.

Protection? Ehh well get there when we get there. Between my novelty helmet, tank top/bare chest and chuck taylors, I'll worry least about the sneakers if **** goes pear shaped.

Once the temps drop down I go with some steel toed boots though.

Quick Reply: What's up with boots?