General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with boots?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012 | 12:02 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior

use caution wearing the new rage of rocker type shoes. mine put me down stopping on a downgrade tothe right last year. when i put my foot down to keep from tipping over there was no familiar heel there and I fell. luckily my lady wasn't watching and when she fell her arm wasn't extended to break her fall. if extended it could have been broken. it knocked the wind out of her but not serious dmage.

Old 03-06-2012 | 12:59 PM
Warpfield
Cruiser

After my wreck, I will be wearing boots, jacket, gloves and helmet always. Had I not decided to put on my jacket at the gas stop, I would have been hurt much worse than I was. I ended up with having a partial shoulder replacement anyway but, the rest only a few minor scrapes and bruises.

In my physical therapy, there was a guy there rehabbing a broken ankle and foot that he received from a very slow speed wreck on his metric. Had he had some decent footwear, I expect his injury would have been quite a bit less. His foot was basically broken and bent over double at the ankle. He was in rehab for several months.

Old 03-06-2012 | 01:25 PM
alto
Cruiser

Wear what you wish to wear without a thought of what others may think.
I choose to wear full face helmet, boots and always a jacket of some type. Mainly, I use one of two Tourmaster jackets. One for cold weather ( Transition 2) and the 'air intake' for warm days. Most of the time, I wear gloves as well. The boots have been altered a bit to give me just a bit more 'height' Only a half inch thicker soles/heels and a 1/4 inch insole . The lousy 3/4 of an inch really makes a difference with me and my Ultra. At 62, I don't think I'll have any more growing spurts.
Back to the point of the thread, everyone should wear exactly what suits them best. No judgement from this old guy.

Old 03-06-2012 | 01:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by HDmikie
I know I'll get hammered for this but I don't get why boots are such a big deal......especially when it's 90+ degrees outside. I see guys wearing boots and jeans, but then just have a sleeveless T-shirt on. I understand boots are suppose to protect your feet and ankles if you crash, but why wear boots along with a T-shirt? Myself, I don't wear boots on hot days. Don't like sweaty feet and wet socks. I don't mind wearing boots in the Spring and Fall, but thick, breathing tennis shoes are much better on hot days. What say you guys?

Well see how long that tenny holds up when the toe gets to making nice with hot asphalt verse a leather boot with a steel toe . You may get a new nick name , " Stubby " . Always think about protecting you hands and your feet , you can skin graft for road rash but without a hand or foot your life is permanently altered .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 03-06-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-06-2012 | 01:32 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

I'll wear boots over tennys any day! Boots may be hot & uncomfortable but when my feet hit the ground... I know I won't be leaving skin when I walk away.

Old 03-06-2012 | 01:37 PM
Norrl
Advanced

For hot weather there is good vented riding gear out there, including boot and shoes. I work in surgery, I regularly see the consequences of inadequate gear. I'm sure this will mortally offend the "harley mystique" guys but that's ok. I will be waiting in the operating room for them to arrive...

Old 03-06-2012 | 02:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Norrl
For hot weather there is good vented riding gear out there, including boot and shoes. I work in surgery, I regularly see the consequences of inadequate gear. I'm sure this will mortally offend the "harley mystique" guys but that's ok. I will be waiting in the operating room for them to arrive...

Actually my friend a few pictures would settle this debate nicely , I've picked gravel out of a few body parts before when much younger . I shudder at the thought of trying to do it now , the hide just doesn't snap back like it used to .

Old 03-06-2012 | 02:34 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master

I wear boots. You can wear what you want.

Old 03-06-2012 | 02:54 PM
Poul Anker Holm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jakenok
well said. That's why I wear my Matterhorns or my combat boots everytime.
I bought a pair of Matterhorns, steel toe in the BX at Ft. Hamilton in NY 3 yrs ago - and do they rock - sure do.

Old 03-06-2012 | 03:50 PM
Agent777
Tourer

Originally Posted by crackercap
I told him if he ever went down he would be thankful for even a pair of panty hose between his skin and the road. I Know, been there, done that.
Why were you riding in panty hose?

Quick Reply: What's up with boots?