General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with boots?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012 | 09:51 AM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Boots/Safety Gear

As others have noted, it's your body, your decision.

My story: I experienced A Left Turn young driver cage induced panic stop that ended in me high siding, and riding my crash rails down the street for a bit, that provided my Epiphany.

I was lucky, I managed to get the speed down considerably before going over and the damage to the bike was minimal, mostly of the cosmetic road rash variety. Paint and parts replacement are all that I needed to fix 'er up.

For myself I was wearing a leather jacket, 3/4 helmet, gloves, safety glasses, jeans, and leather sneakers.
When done, I had some pretty good abrasions on my right ankle and thigh, some abrasions and burns on the inside of my left leg, right wrist and arm abrasions (Leather apparently rode up, and it's not real loose.), a banged up helmet where my head bounced off the pavement, missing glasses, and a still problematic shoulder rotator cuff. I did straighten the bike up a bit and rode her home to park it, then off to the local Urgent care center for me. Adrenaline is a marvelous mask. I could not lift my right arm much above waist level for a long time.

And again this was a fairly low speed crash. I now wear armor inserted jackets, ankle boots, when it's not too hot a FF helmet, and the rest. Oh yea, and have installed a Headlight modulator that seems to annoy the car drivers (But they see me.), and added a kit to light up my directionals all the time.
I like to ride, but there are a lot more drivers than when I started 45 years ago, they seem to be more distracted, and I don't heal as fast or as completely. I'll put it on me to preserve myself as best that I can and keep on riding.

But, definitely your body, your enjoyment level, your decision. I do what is right for me at this point in my life, and you have every right to do what is right for you. Stay safe.

Old 03-06-2012 | 09:59 AM
crackercap
Road Master

I have a riding buddy who wears shorts and tennis shoes all the time in the summer, he says he fails to see how a pair of jeans will protect his legs, I told him if he ever went down he would be thankful for even a pair of panty hose between his skin and the road. I Know, been there, done that.

Old 03-06-2012 | 10:02 AM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member

I once came upon a road crash and found a foot nicely intact inside a sneaker where the ankle had neatly twisted off, subsequently I always wear boots even if only short ones for the summer, but to each his own.

Old 03-06-2012 | 10:15 AM
trip59
Cruiser

Originally Posted by crackercap
I have a riding buddy who wears shorts and tennis shoes all the time in the summer, he says he fails to see how a pair of jeans will protect his legs, I told him if he ever went down he would be thankful for even a pair of panty hose between his skin and the road. I Know, been there, done that.
Pantyhose aren't for everyone... I don't have the legs for it

Second summer I had a bike, I was coming into a curb, caught a mud patch (looked like just some dust) down on the right side. Got tore up through my pants, but the heavy leather boot is the only reason the pipe didn't burn through to bone before I could get the bike off of me.

When I got my RK, I had some boots that didn't fit great, they were oversized so I could fit an orthosis (full ankle cage) in them. Left foot rolled at a light. By the time I ate dinner that night, I had another pair of properly fitting boots that were supportive and solid. Steel toe Dr Martens wellington style, the ones with the pads on the ankles. It's all I wear now. I occasionally wear Chucks or topsiders around the house, if I'm working on a bike, I'll go in and change them before even taking a test ride down the driveway.

Old 03-06-2012 | 10:24 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by XL50#674
I wear chuck's most of the time when I ride, now and then I wear boots, but not much.

I love my Chucks, been wearing them since the late sixties, have several pair. That being said, I ain't wearing them on my bike. They are a step just above a flip flop....

Old 03-06-2012 | 10:35 AM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member

Ultimately unless you are able to toss on an Abrams tank to ride around in, you have vulnerabilities with anything you wear. I have no illusion that my Danner Ft Lweis boots will protect me from all incidents but they offer more protection and stability than tennis shoes or flip flops.

I am lucky in that it rarely gets hot enough here that I am uncomfortable enough to even notice it. Even if it did I'd wear boots. In my life I have been through far more discomfort than what a pair of boots can cause even on the hottest day.

Hell I have walked through deserts with more lbs of gear than I care to think about on my back in boots. I am sure I can manage them on a bike with the added safety they provide.

In other words the idea that boots are so godawful that I'd have to wear sneakers, trainers, go fasters etc is utterly ridiculous.

Unless you are actively engaged in sports, adult men don't need to wear sneakers and unless you are a sleazy salesman there is no reason to wear loafers either.

I have spoken.

Old 03-06-2012 | 11:10 AM
UnlimitedLimited
6th Gear

BOOTS:
I dated an Emergency room nurse for a while and she said most of the motorcycle accidents that came though had crushed ankles. She went on to say the healing time was long and painful. I live in central Fl and always wear boots, helmet and weight lifting gloves (fingers cut out) and a leather jacket when I can still ride with vents unziped and front unziped. Always wear jeans and at least a half helmet. When it get up to 90 here I must admit I just cannot wear the jacket. But I will most likely go to the nylon jacket this year. I also want to add that riding mostly in Dayona area drivers seem a little more aware of motocycles that other parts of the south, just my opinion. Until you see a first hand motorcycle accident when it happens or just after ( I have both) that is the awaking for a lot of us.

Old 03-06-2012 | 11:14 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

I not only wear boots but i wear steel toed boots...every time I ride.

Old 03-06-2012 | 11:28 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by RoaringRigid
Ultimately unless you are able to toss on an Abrams tank to ride around in, you have vulnerabilities with anything you wear. I have no illusion that my Danner Ft Lweis boots will protect me from all incidents but they offer more protection and stability than tennis shoes or flip flops.

I am lucky in that it rarely gets hot enough here that I am uncomfortable enough to even notice it. Even if it did I'd wear boots. In my life I have been through far more discomfort than what a pair of boots can cause even on the hottest day.

Hell I have walked through deserts with more lbs of gear than I care to think about on my back in boots. I am sure I can manage them on a bike with the added safety they provide.

In other words the idea that boots are so godawful that I'd have to wear sneakers, trainers, go fasters etc is utterly ridiculous.

Unless you are actively engaged in sports, adult men don't need to wear sneakers and unless you are a sleazy salesman there is no reason to wear loafers either.

I have spoken.

well said. That's why I wear my Matterhorns or my combat boots everytime.

Old 03-06-2012 | 11:34 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master

Wear what you want. Protect what you want. I dress for the slide, not the ride. One time down and slide on the pavement and should show the answer. I wear boots, leather trousers with silk longjohns, thin long sleeve T, a vented nylon jacket with armor plates, gloves, and full face helmet in the warm weather. As long as we are movin', >100 temp. is ok. Replacing leather gloves and trousers is a lot more fun than waiting on bone and skin to heal !!

Quick Reply: What's up with boots?