General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with boots?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012 | 08:54 PM
HDmikie
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by vantage255
I have been using Army desert boots. Basically a vented hardened combat boot. They are comfy and not much hotter than my sneakers. Lots of support and can be had very cheaply.

US Calvary has them from $25 a pair for old style:
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.asp...d=548&catid=84

Or somewhat more for new/more comfy:
http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.asp...=548&catid=373

They work, are not hot, are pretty comfy for long rides and are cheap. Best of all worlds...
Now these boots look like something I could handle. Extra support yet ventilated for those hot days. Your first post was a good one as far as I'm concerned. Thank for the link.

Old 03-05-2012 | 09:03 PM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain

The next time you put your foot down, coming to a stop, and "something", be it a small rock, a crack in the pavement, uneven pavement or even a gremlin, makes your ankle twist or otherwise collapse, you'll understand one very good reason to wear supportive boots.

Old 03-05-2012 | 09:05 PM
FinallyRiding
Tourer

I always wear boots and my passenger (my wife) does too. At first my wife didn't think she needed boots but after I bought them she says they are more comfortable riding in than tennis shoes, I think a rock to her toe at 75 mph helped her decide. lol

Old 03-05-2012 | 09:08 PM
Poacher13
Road Master

I just like boots.

Old 03-05-2012 | 09:08 PM
mswmn
Road Master

My right foot got mangled when I got creamed by a deer. Still have a huge scar. Wouldn't be there if I had boots on. Never leave without boots now...but I sure learned the hard way.

Old 03-06-2012 | 06:48 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior

I usually ride with boots,jeans, t shirt and my old leather shirt (nice and light/no liner). I have been riding for 40 years and just crashed for the first time 3 years ago...glad I had my gear on...especially my little shorty helmet...or I wouldn't be riding anywhere...Like some others said, wear what feels comfortable, but it's nice to have stuff on that will keep all the parts together on the way to the hospital...LOL

Old 03-06-2012 | 06:54 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior

You dress for the crash, not for the ride.
X2 very well put!

Old 03-06-2012 | 07:19 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HDmikie
I know I'll get hammered for this but I don't get why boots are such a big deal......especially when it's 90+ degrees outside. I see guys wearing boots and jeans, but then just have a sleeveless T-shirt on. I understand boots are suppose to protect your feet and ankles if you crash, but why wear boots along with a T-shirt? Myself, I don't wear boots on hot days. Don't like sweaty feet and wet socks. I don't mind wearing boots in the Spring and Fall, but thick, breathing tennis shoes are much better on hot days. What say you guys?
I say it's your feet wear what you want...I used to wear regular shoes on a bike...Some things you just have to learn from experience.

Old 03-06-2012 | 07:38 AM
Poul Anker Holm
Intermediate

Originally Posted by krusty1
It's your business what you wear riding, but I'll venture this opinion....your feet and ankles are in an especially precarious position, close to the road, and many a 'git-off' involves dragging that very complicated piece of human machinery down the road (or under the bike, or between some other impact object).

I know a few guys that basically now own an ankle that is now nothing more a bag of bone chunks and scar tissue mush because they were wearing regular street shoes in minor crashes (including one guy that had his footpeg driven completely through the ankle protected only by a sock...that ***** will never be right, and causes him constant agony). Wearing a pair of boots (or light pair of leather gloves) just ain't that uncomfortable in hot weather...and if you work for a living by being on your feet and using your hands, that little bit of leather can save you a ****-load of pain and doctor bills.
Many yrs ago I learned from a die hard "biker" that if it's too hot to wear a minimum of decent protective equipment it's too hot to drive a bike. I tend to agree.He told me that soft body tissue smeared over 50 meters will NEVER come back on. Which reminds me of one of these US paramedic series from real life (Discovery). A mangled guy on a strecher. He couldn't resist to try his friends bike. Hot day somewhere in AZ. Dressed in shorts, flip flops and tank top. Speed app 40-45 mph. In a smal intersection he had to avoid a car that didn't respect the right of way and he slamed into the corner of a concret wall, supporting a bridge. Paramedic's arrived at the scene. They found one flip flop - empty. And then the other with a left foot in, and not attached to the rest of his leg. Left hand barely hanging on to his arm. His face pretty messed up, left side detached from the bone structure. Alive, cunsious and survived. 9 months later. Back on two wheels - you know the ones that are hand operated, one hand I might add. He was still waiting for his high tec prosthesis'.
So please do your self, wife, kids and friends a favour and gear proper up even for a short "slow" speed trip - you never know what idiot you will meet.

Old 03-06-2012 | 07:42 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member

I wear chuck's most of the time when I ride, now and then I wear boots, but not much.

Quick Reply: What's up with boots?