General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with boots?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012 | 10:45 AM
gomiller2
Tourer

I guess i learned from trying to race around on dirt bikes when i was young and dumm with just tennis shoes on kick a rock or to made me put the boots back on i never ride the harley without my boots on much safer also i find they grip the ground alot better then sneaks do but its your feet.

Old 03-05-2012 | 10:54 AM
trip59
Cruiser

Guess it's a matter of personal opinion... I wear boots and jeans daily, always have, probably always will. TX and S FL heat, still boots and jeans. Jobsite, shop, and even now my 9-5 is behind a desk. I don't feel right wearing other shoes, the bike feels different. I've done it rarely when I had to and on a rare day when I'm not wearing boots, but if you see someone riding my bike with flip-flops on, call 911 because they're stealing it. You wouldn't catch me dead in those, much less wearing them on a bike.

Old 03-05-2012 | 11:00 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm amazed that you even asked this.

Old 03-05-2012 | 11:01 AM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

Just yesterday I was out riding and see another bike in my rear view mirror speeding up behind me and notice the rider has no shirt on and of course no helmet. I think he had boots on though. To each his own.

Old 03-05-2012 | 11:02 AM
73oldsman
Road Master

Have to wear over the ankle leather boots to get past gate guards on military installation I work on and company I work for requires steel toes, and pays for 1 pair a year. Also, always wear jeans at work and off. I am thinking of a vest though to add for my summer riding though, to put over the t-shirt for a little more protection.

Old 03-05-2012 | 11:09 AM
Climb14er
Tourer

Originally Posted by Axman
A crushed foot, not bein able to walk for three months and a deformed foot for the rest of my Life is reason enough for me.
Sorry to hear about this.

Always... wear a pair of solid, comfortable and protective boots when I ride. Always, no exceptions!

Aerostitch Combat Lites or Wesco Engineer Boss boots.

I see folks wearing running shoes, dress shoes, sandals or even ankle high 'shoes'... WTF!

As usual, YMMV.

Old 03-05-2012 | 11:19 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Even tooling around town ends up on a 50mph road at some point. Boots, jeans, helmet and some sort of jacket...

Old 03-05-2012 | 11:24 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member

Boots, Jeans and a T-Shirt cuz I work in a factory and thats what I wear to work. Thought about wearing flip-flops but didn't want to take the time to change when I got to work.

Old 03-05-2012 | 11:43 AM
stevieg
Road Warrior

I wear Red Wings 'cause they make me about 2 1/2" taller which helps me flat-foot it. I also wear a mesh HD jacket in the summer with shoulder and elbow pads though it's nominal protection. When cold I wear my Fox Creek bomber jacket 'cause I spent a fotune on it. I have a Tourmaster with really good padding but doesn't look as cool so I don't wear it much. Has to be really hot for me not to at least wear the mesh but I wear a T-shirt sometimes when it's unbearably hot. Feels weird not to have protection. Kinda like not having a seat belt on. I feel naked. Always with a helmet. Moved to CO from CA (mandatory helmets) a year and a half ago and I still can't get used to seeing guys without a helmet but most seem to wear one. For some reason in NM I see lotsa rider w/o helmets.

Old 03-05-2012 | 12:29 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I had my leg smashed between two bikes while racing on a track about 15 years ago. My ankle still pops and clicks, but the boot I was wearing saved me from serious injury. I always wear boots, and so does my wife if she is with me.

Quick Reply: What's up with boots?