General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with boots?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012 | 10:33 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

I pretty much wear boots all the time anyway... May as well wear them on the bike too.

Old 03-10-2012 | 10:41 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member

I think that saying "it's where the rubber meets the road that counts" applies to your feet too. I feel naked unless my feet and head got something on them (might make a difference in a low speed upset)

Old 03-10-2012 | 10:48 PM
Bluetoys
Road Master

Originally Posted by RaSh
Bluetoys, I mentioned my burns obtained in my high side slide, and the boots wouldn't have helped. These burns were on the inside of my lower left thigh which was riding my rear exhaust pie during this excursion. Apparently during my fall I managed to climb part way around and ended up drapped mostly on the left side of my bike as it hopped, skipped and slid on my crash rails down the street. I didn't get all of me over which resulted in my right leg and arm road rash, my head bounce and my shoulder damage, but I'm happy to report that I got my "Boys" out of the danger zone.
Your mind takes over goes into auto-pilot and protects what's important.

Harley Ranger, after seeing that photo I realize that I need to quit whining about my minor road rash and burn. UGGGHHHH!
Well, yeah - but in a crash situation, burns would not be the biggest of my worries.
I guess I should have said I meant when straddling the bike, or standing next to it, or mounting it.

Old 03-10-2012 | 11:00 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

being short there is no question if i don't have tall boots on i am getting burned .

i were 16" tall steel toed engner boots .

leathers unless its really hot .

Old 03-10-2012 | 11:10 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ragtop
thanks a lot, now I can't get that fuken foot pic out of my mind, fukkkkerr
Your welcome!
If it helps even one rider on this forum wear boots my work here is done.

Old 03-10-2012 | 11:13 PM
mikecm469
Advanced

After being in an accident in January of this year, I'm grateful I was wearing boots instead of my tennis shoes. My foot was smashed between the car and my headpipe. Headpipe was bent so that it was in contact with the cam cover afterwards. My boot was sort of cut, but not all of the way to the foot. Had I been wearing my tennis shoes, my foot would've been trashed.

Old 03-11-2012 | 06:52 AM
Auckland
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Can jeans really do any better helping minimize road rash though? I seriously doubt it. They are both cotton and will both be shredded in an instant. When I do wear khaki's I do wear ankle boots though.
And this is why everytime I see ATGATT on forums I laugh. I see people preach this all the time but have Never seen a HD rider in full body armor like sportbike guys. $700 helmet,jacket with CE spine, shoulder and elbow armor,pants with CE padding and full on race boots. So who here Really dresses for the Crash?

Last edited by Auckland; 03-11-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2012 | 08:05 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Auckland
And this is why everytime I see ATGATT on forums I laugh. I see people preach this all the time but have Never seen a HD rider in full body armor like sportbike guys. $700 helmet,jacket with CE spine, shoulder and elbow armor,pants with CE padding and full on race boots. So who here Really dresses for the Crash?
atgatt is about the dumbest **** around.

I've seen those sport bike guys pull up in the summer. hop off the bike, spend 10 minutes stripping gear, then walk in to the bar in a sweated thru t shirt with their high tech riding pants and boots on.

I'm no beau brummel and i could give a **** what you wear if you're not a petite blond chick with daddy issues and a round ***, but that's something ill just never do.

Old 03-11-2012 | 08:18 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDmikie
I know I'll get hammered for this but I don't get why boots are such a big deal......especially when it's 90+ degrees outside. I see guys wearing boots and jeans, but then just have a sleeveless T-shirt on. I understand boots are suppose to protect your feet and ankles if you crash, but why wear boots along with a T-shirt? Myself, I don't wear boots on hot days. Don't like sweaty feet and wet socks. I don't mind wearing boots in the Spring and Fall, but thick, breathing tennis shoes are much better on hot days. What say you guys?
I wear boots all the time and they're 12" high. Sweaty feet and wet socks? Speak for yourself. <g>
I don't have smelly feet and no wet socks either. Uh ..... wait a minute, I never wear socks. Hate them. I wear my boots sockless but I use baby powder.
Wear what you want, it's your $ ....... and your skin.

Old 03-11-2012 | 09:39 AM
HDmikie
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
Does you bike go faster while wearing tennis shoes? If so, you should open a business that sells the tennis shoes you wear....You will be an overnight success!
Yup, there's always at least one smarta$$ in the crowd. I've already mentioned I wear boots during the coolers months and IF you had read post #41 of this thread you'd know that I'll NOW be wearing these vented boots during warmer months.

http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.asp...D=r490lputzw5v

Btw Twisted, thanks for the pics of those purdy boots.......very inspiring!

Last edited by HDmikie; 03-11-2012 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: What's up with boots?