General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camping on Long Trips Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Camping on Long Trips Question

Although I have traveled a bit over 40,000 miles in three years mostly within California, Nevada and Colorado I would love to take a cross country trip from coast to coast. What prevents me from doing so is the expense of lodging. I mean sixty to seventy dollars a day for motel rooms adds up pretty fast. My question is; if I where to camp out rather than doing the motel thing what items and suggestions do any of you have. I know, tent, sleeping bag, etc., but I would love to hear some good advice and stories about cross country camping on a motorcycle…do's and don’ts etc. I just read an article in the HOG magazine about two guys who did just that back in the seventies. The thought is intriguing me now.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 PM
littlebear
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camping while on a bike, you don't have room for alot of creature comfort items. I have done it with my son and learned I needed a good mattress. Had the 2 in pad and it about killed me, now I have a blow up air type, a good nights sleep is important. Instant coffee for the am and a small backpacking type heater, also will work with those instant type meals.Alot of places to spend the night for nothing if ya just look.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:35 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

KOA

It's an Indian word for "by the railway tracks".

They have wifi, great showers, laundry and are bike friendly.

I stay there lots- budget $24 a night maybe--- that's maybe a third of moteling it- and by managing costs I can better afford to take off to 2 or 3 weeks here and there.

i also camp because I like it- we go camping alot as a family, and I enjoy doing it on my own

you can save a couple more bucks with a koa card or AAA.

some locations have the Kabins which have 4 beds, nice when it's rainy and you wanna stay inside

they are all mom and pop type franchises and the one at Lava Hot Springs ID has bathrooms nicer than mine- lots of nice marble work.

pad- I use a Thermarest- the medium size will roll up and fit inside the top 6" of a saddlebag, it cost more than the rest of my camping gear!

KOA Cortez, Co, headed for Sturgis

I carry 2 little solar flashlights which charge up in a clear plastic bag on top of my roll when i ride, and they'll last all night- saves my battery flashlights

some stuff to clean the bugs off the bike, bug repellant for when at the campsite

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-05-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:53 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been "considering" the camping thing also. With no extended experience, I thought this tent to be just the thing, with a built in frame system, http://www.practicalsports.com/2-up-...ycle-tent.html . Apparently a ground cover is also suggested and a good sleeping bag, all which appear to pack tight enough to fit on the bike. I'll be watching as real experience checks in.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I started a thread a few days ago over in the 'Road Trips' section that will give you some great ideas. Take a look...

Old 03-04-2012, 08:00 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I was just talking with the wife about this kinda thing. I am planning a trip to Laconia this June and had mentioned that hotel/motels were looking kinda pricey, that maybe camping was the way to go. She looked at me like I had two heads. I did say that maybe not this time, but I would like to take a couple of weeks off of work and head west to ride and camp. She said I would be doing that on my own.... I will be watching this thread for helpful ideas....

Old 03-04-2012, 08:01 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by 2deuce
I thought this tent to be just the thing, with a built in frame system
Nah, that thing is too expensive the little tent shown in my pic about cost about $30 at Costco and I use it touring solo and on family trips some kid might use it.- It has 2 poles that break down to about 26" long, it all fits in a bag that can either be tied to saddlebag lid rack or tourpak rack.
It has a built in ground cover, but pick your spot and kick rocks and sticks clear

Sleeping bag makes a good backrest.

Don't bother with any cooking type gear, it never gets used and takes up space and weight-

Mike

Old 03-04-2012, 08:07 PM
littled62
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in 1987 we bought our 1st touring bike, Yamaha Venture, that summer we took a 2 week trip from Chicago to the southwest, took a pup tent 2 sleeping bags and 2 foam sleeping mats, after 2 nights sleeping on the ground and riding for 8 - 10 hours we stoped at the post office and mailed the tent and bags home, it took 2 nights for it to set in that I was not 20 anymore and sleeping on the ground was not what I remembered from boyscouts in the 60's, last year on our trip out Rt66 from Chicago to LA the most we spent on a motel was $65 most nights it was around $45 (with gas going up less travelers motels will fight to sell a room) for me it is worth $25-$35 more anight for a bed and hot shower and airconditioning at night

Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to admit, that thought did occur to me. I am not in my 20's anymore either and slightly worried I would get about 2 or 3 nights into a week long trip and decide I need to ditch the tent/sleeping bag and find a hotel

Old 03-04-2012, 08:24 PM
2011_Glide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say that if it is the adventure that you want, then the camping is the way to go...

If I read it right, the OP was about what you need for camping....Not others opinions on wether to camp or not....I just love that others put in their 2 cents on other stuff.

Like already stated, KOA's are good, cheap on the wallet and hot showers in the morning. Another place to think about showers if you don't stay at KOA's is a truck stop. Cost is around 5 bucks.

Quick Reply: Camping on Long Trips Question