General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JD Powers 2006 Motorcycle Competitive Information Study

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 01:27 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JD Powers 2006 Motorcycle Competitive Information Study

FYI... http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings/motorcycles

Granted, this data is based on opinions of new owners but it's probably as close to real world data as you'll find. It's interesting to note that the "sales experience" is an equally weighted data point.

Also, check out the corresponding press release at http://www.jdpower.com/global/press-...asp?ID=2006297

Old 12-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: JD Powers 2006 Motorcycle Competitive Information Study

No surprises to me. Kinda of wonder on the HD quality if it is related to the cost of ownership.
Since folks feel they are pay too much they might feel that any problems at that price are to many. If the cost came down the quality marks might go up even though the quality didn't change. Mine cost me a fortune but the quality has been excellent.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:18 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

If they are talking overall product then I guess Honda deserves the higher marks. But in the cruiser segment they do not have a better than average product IMO.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:42 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

"Owners who took their bike in for a repair rate their service experience much higher if the work was done right the first time, compared with owners whose problem was not remedied on the first attempt."

They had to do a survey to find that out Victory certainly came in high. I wonder how many of the 6900 people surveyed were Victory owners.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:07 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I actually participated in that survey and forgot about it.
Thanks for the reminder.
Gary D.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:20 PM
scubabike420
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this says more about the customers than the companies. Harley owners like the process of buying a bike, find taking the bike in for service fairly pleasing since we are most likely installing more chrome or something to make it go faster, we think that everything cost too much, and if we felt harley put out a top notch product we would have no reason to keep dropping more money on upgrades. We can definately be made happy, but we always want just a little bit more.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

I find it interesting that Suzuki gets high marks for quality. The ones I've worked on, including THE MAMA's, have been really shoddy in design and construction. Cheap tires that are gone in 4,000 miles, mufflers that rot out in about 6,000 miles, cheezy batteries that are difficult to access, ridiculously frequent service intervals, fenders that are sprung, cheezy plastic headlight bracket, blah, blah, blah ....

Generally, a customer survey is a "feel good" piece of pseudo-science, and does not equate to actualreality.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:03 AM
TowJam
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: grunt

If they are talking overall product then I guess Honda deserves the higher marks. But in the cruiser segment they do not have a better than average product IMO.
Having owned both a VTX1300 and 1800, I agree. In fact, my 1300 had a number of fit and finish issues which I wouldn't even expect to see on a budget bike.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a real big fan of the poles. I think Harleys are bullet proof. My dad is one of those that say no. I think it has to do with how you ride and take care of it. Next..

I was at the gas station. Just got done filling the tank. I started her up, and a young couple were staring in envy. The ricers won't get that attention.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:13 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dallastx
I was at the gas station. Just got done filling the tank. I started her up, and a young couple were staring in envy. The ricers won't get that attention.
I have to agree with that, even though around here we might make good natured jokes aboutthe differences between Sportsters and big twins, to the pubilc at large there all Harley's. To them there are only two kinds of Harleys, those with bags, and those without bags.
Most mighthave a difficult timetelling the difference betweena Sportster and Dyna. Even if theywere parked side by side,much less being able to tell aif a bike riding by was a Deluxe ora Fatboy.

Quick Reply: JD Powers 2006 Motorcycle Competitive Information Study