Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna or other for touring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:32 PM
BillyBobJoe
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna or other for touring?

Hey y'all, well this heres my first post! Been readin on here for a while grate forum.

So I don't got me a Harley right now, just an old 85 Shadow 700 that I done restored and painted. Grate bike, but I gotta have a Harley!

I've always loved Harleys since I was little. Never had the money though. My dad has an 08 Softail Deluxe. I rode it a bit and love them! I looked at a couple bigger Metric Cruisers, but they won't satify, its gotta be a Harley Davidson, nohin else will do! Why have a copy, and not the real thing? There nice but will never be a Harley!

So I don't have a lot of money right now. It'll definitly be used. I'm probably thinking 90's, probably an Evo. Could be a TC but the Evos are good too, but neither motor is a dealbraker.

Now these bikes ain't too expensive. I've seed Dynas around $6,500-$7,000 with pretty low milage around 20K, and there real nice them saddle bags shields highway pegs etc. I can definitly afford one this summer!

Or, if I save a bit longer I could probably afford a Softail or somthing. BUT my question, I know a bit about H-Ds but want to here from some of y'all that have experence.

Ok, so my riding style. I put on a lot of miles. I commute every day only about 5 miles but then ride varius distances after I get home. Almost every weekend I do at least a 300-500 mile day, then if theres no race or anything else goin on, I'll ride the other day too. In the summer have plans of Sturgis, maybe Key West, etc from CA lots of trips. So I'll probably be touring a bit. Probably not a whole lot of 2 up right now, maybe occasionally but not that far. Most miles is highway and back/country roads. Some twistys but I really don't care about handling or weight.

SO, would a Dyna with some things like bags and shield be good for this? Or should I be looking for a bigger bike, like a used Electra Glide or Road King? Or maybe a Heritage. Thanks to y'all that take the time to read this and respond, I preciate it!

Last edited by BillyBobJoe; 03-04-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:37 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,900 Likes on 860 Posts

Dyna will get you where you wanna go with no problems!

Old 03-04-2012, 12:50 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Price wise a dyna would probably be a good place to start. You will love having the extra torque, even if you were coming off a shadow 1100. It would work good if you found one all set up but you can always add bags, luggage rack, windshield etc...

Old 03-04-2012, 01:35 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I love my evo. I've done 800mile round trips with it
With no probs. But I don't ride 500 miles every weekend.
I've had twin cams, but is never give up my evo.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:03 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Dyna - it was a good bike at the time. The only draw backs were it did not have 6th gear and was too small for highway and longer trip riding. I went to the RG. No comparison for riding or enjoyment - hands down a far better bike based on what I wanted it for.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I love my street bob. I put a windshield and mustang seat(must have) and I have done 600 mile days with no issue.
A dyna handles the twisties great but still cruises nice.
So,another dyna vote here

Old 03-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Had a Dyna and put removable windshield and Sundowner seat on it. I did a lot of 300-600 mile weekend rides with it over 4 years. If money is an issue, you can get a fairly new Dyna SuperGlide for the price you are talking about. It would be paid off and you could add what you needed. I now have a Road Glide Ultra and love it!

Old 03-04-2012, 02:39 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

My last bike was actually a pre-Dyna. Loved that Low Rider but I don't think I would have enjoyed 500 mile days on it. In fact, I can barely tolerate them on my Road King. If you're young, get the Dyna. If you're past 40, you'll wish you had found a good used touring bike.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:44 PM
mcdaniel52761
Tourer

I have an 09 Super Glide Custom and enjoy riding it around town. It is big enough for the wife and I to take day trips on. I see that you live in California and plan to ride to Key West. For something like that, I would definately go with a touring bike. If I were 20 years younger and single with time to stop every few hours, it might be a different story. All depends on how much "touring" you plan to do.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:18 PM
tommy120
Intermediate

I ride my dyna all over the country with no problems. I have a standard height windshield and a saddleman explorer seat.

Quick Reply: Dyna or other for touring?