General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna or other for touring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 PM
dynawideglider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brother, I'm an old Florida panhandler so don't take offense at this response! When I read your post I felt like I was back home. It's all in fun, and thank you for a straight forward question!

Remember - No offense intended!

----------------------------------------

Well, Billy Bob, lemme tell ya.

There's some of them dyni fans on here but, come that long trip from Californy to them thar keys, you might be likin' them so-called "hard" saddle bags and maybe even one of them there win'shield thangs!

I tale you 'cause I know, I had me one of them there dynis but after'n a while I was thinkin' them bugs needed to be deep fried 'fore I ate 'em and my overalls kept'a flappin' in my face while they's tied down on them handle bar thingy's.

I figured I could put more 'en them overalls in them thar saddle baggys, and that windy shield did a whole lot more'n keep them bugs off'n me!

You need what them call a "tourin" motorcykle, with all them there thangs on it. You ain't gone care much about "gages" 'n such, but there's shore some slick-willie thangs you gone 'preciate now. I'm just sayin'

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Do what you want to do, the hell with what anybody else says!

Best of luck!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:57 PM
cmichael
Grand HDF Member

Personally go with the touring bike.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:29 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonesee
OP, buy what you want. You asked about wind and power, there is no reason to worry about that. The Dyna will do just fine doing whatever you want to do.

There is no doubt the bagger-barko-loungers are more comfortable and come with more farkles. But you can take a Dyna cross country and not have an issue at all.

I use mine almost exclusively for long didstance runs. The only thing that is not available on the bike is cruise control. There isn't an aftermarket product either.

Some have mentioned the 6 speed. I'm sure it saves on fuel on the long interstate hauls. (although the bagger guys I travel with are looking for fuel before me. it might be the 88 isn't drinking as much as the new bikes) The 6 speed isn't needed however to make interstate runs. I have a 2005 with a 5 speed and on a run from Florida to Sturgis I never had another bike pass me. I swear, never-ever. My 5 speed didn't cost me any time or speed at all. The guys with 6 speeds are turning fewer RPMs but they aren't using it for high speed cruising.

Look at my sig line to see the type of riding I do. Send me a PM if you have any quetions about a Dyna or if you want to know how my bike is set up. 15 minutesfrom cruiser to tourer and 15 minutes to strip it to a cruiser again when I arrive.

And to PGHCYCLE who said: "Krusty1-Bagger claptrap??? Really? I'll meet you on my Ultra Stage II GeezerGlide and let you play a litle "follow the leader"! Bagger claptrap my a--! (:"

Count me in!!! I will play follow the leader. How far are we going? I am old, broken down and bald but I think I can hang with you.

Ride Safe!!!
Yeah, Jonesee, as Krusty said, it's all good. Bet we'd have a blast! My '04 Ultra 88 gets about 42-43 MPG hwy when I'm not on it. But with the Stage II it's just getting down to business at 80. Sure would we be a fun daisy chain, wouldn't it?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

On a limited budget you can't really pick and choose. Just get the harley that's in the best condition, lowest miles, cheapest price, newest model.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:19 AM
BillyBobJoe
Novice

I's gonna try and respond to each of these here individually, since they was thoughtful and helpful and I got me some extra time on my hands. But damn it my frekin computer just done unplugged right when I was done a typin! I had all these responses and they's arrased because my damn laptops batterys broke! I's really bad with computers I just lernt how to use it reasonably! And I thought I had it all figured out with copying it so far but a lesson is to SAVE it in a text when you's a typin something long! Anyways just scroll down yonder and find yours!

HarleyRanger yea I's gonna take me a good look at the RK, espically the RK classic. I like the way its a touring machine, but still retains the classic Harley looks, not quite an all out tourer.

eng23ine yea sounds to me like the touring machines is really ideal for longer rides, espically 2 up. But they Dynas handle great, although handling is very little concern for me, if it was I wouldn't be a lookin for a Harley in the 1st place! Although even the big Harleys handle plenty good on a curvy road unless you's an adrenaline junker.

krusty1 what it sounds like to me is, the Dyna really ain't good for 2 up touring. But with the right accessaries they's fine for most solo on long trips, unless you's not comfortable that much on them. And yea I here they's really got a good feel and character to them. But now I's thinkin I probably won't really be doing a lot of 2 up on it anytime soon. If that need comes maybe I'll just buy me one of them there tourers when the time comes or an old Goldwing for 2 ups if I cannot afford a Ultra buy then if I need it. But not really concerned about that now I reckon the Dyna be fine for most just not extended 2 up is what I think.

And BTW that there Honda 6 must be a torque monster! I herd those things are grate bikes. And I seed a video on youtube and they done upgraded the exhaust and the thing sounded flat out badass, really sounded like a V8, even at idle sounded like an old carbed V8 sort of! Neat bikes, not quite so big as a GW but a powerful Cruiser. Oh I see you has Cobra Pipes that what they was, man sounds sweet don't it?

PghCycle24 yea the RK is a good bike, kinda good classic looks I like, espically the RK classic. Not sure about the TC88, I thought there was some years of the RK with the Evo but I don't know? Yea I definitly don't want no mods, the highest mods I'd want engine wise is pipes and maybe a air filter, but I'd change out the filter come a changin time for the MPGs when you lean it out closer to stock. Definitly buy or have the aftermarket exhaust of course. I think the RK will be a good bike, I could definitly be good on one, it'll likely be between a Dyna and RK, but possibly a glide if money allowed but less likely. And thanks for the info!

DOMAPOI thanks, its great to be here! Much better than the other forums I's been on! I love the way I get many detailed responses here, the others usually like 2-3 responses with like 10 words! And yea a Dyna is a good place a startin with its prices. And by the way, thats a nice Sportty you got yourself! I love the touring set up! Looks awesome! If it wasn't for my long distance riding style, hell I'd love a Sportster myself. I know it can be done definitly but a bigger heavier bike will be better for my extra lengthy trips. But man a Sportster is a good bang for your buck! Pleanty of power [espically on the 1200] and perfect for short and moderate distances and occasionally long. But most of my weekend rides last the intire day and I ain't bar hoppin and I also have a few small bikes. But a used Sportty is only like $3,500 and under for even a 1200, makes me almost want to say F it sometimes!

Jonesee I do agree. The big bikes will make the trip a deluxe but you sure as hell do it on a Dyna. I think with 2 up though I herd the big bikes is espically good. But I'm thinking the Dyna will make a fine machine. I love the way they look. Small enough to not be a chour just scootin down yonder to the auto parts store for a truck part, but still a big twin and not hard to set up for touring. Although I don't using it much for around town. I have an actual scoot for that! 153 cc old 86 Honda scooter, my first scoot I had since I was 12! Still runs like a champ! Now I use it for going offroading and carrying 24 packs while getting 100 MPG and up to 70 MPH.

As for trannys, as far as I know, it really don't matter. For the most part, I herd the 6 speed is unncessary. 6th gear is the same ratio as 5th is in 5th, its like 1:1 or slightly taller I think. I believe even the 4 speed had close to the same ratio in 4th as the 6 speeds 6th. The 5 speeds was plenty. Its not like them Japanese bikes with high RPM powerbands that need more gears to stay in the powerband. Harley's powerbands are similar to a car, so less gears with taller ratios works mighty fine. The only benifit of a 6 speed I could see would be maybe 4th on the highway for passing power where as 3rd would push in on the 5 speed? But seemingly, if ridden lightly, the 5 speed would even get slightly better MPGs, as some people in cars may skip a gear thats not necessary so long as to drive lightly and not lug out the engine. Even the 4 speed worked just fine for the most part.

And man, judging by your sig, your a real biker! Man, averaging 52 MPH for 34 hours and 17 minutes of straight riding? Wow, I don't think I could ride that long. I can maybe do about an 800 mile day or so or maybe more but wow nearly 2,000 miles, but straight riding with little stopping? Thats some real riding right there! And even averaging 65 MPH for 1,143 for 17 hours 53 minutes, and 68 MPH for 15 hours 15 minutes? Don't even think I could do that without some nice rest stops! Thanks, I'll definitly give ya a PM if I have any questions on the Dyna!

dynawideglider, no offense taken! That made me laugh! But still understandable! Believe it or not I ain't from the deep south, but I live out in a small town in southern Ohio for a while and Kentucky and thats where my kin come from so thats the way we always talk, some try to be not talkin that a way, but I never used the best grammer and such myself and kinda liked that way of talkin. I don't have a thick southern drawl [despite the way my typin may sound], its more of an Appalachian kinda talkin, but sounds somewhat southern, well some Appalachian is use some of them words. It's easier and I don't like huge words I never understand them. Now out here in Californny is a bet different! Theres some real country boys, hillbillys and rednecks out here though in limited [and many wannabees popping up thats rich in there $50K truck that one day decide they's redneck], in the rural areas in the middle of nowhere. Its not bad out here, but I can't stand them political systems, and its so damn expansive! Like $1,000,000 out here these people its like nothing to them! A $750,000 will get you a small little 3 bedroom house with a yard you could mow with a trimmer in a minute! I'll be moving back down to that area eventually and have me a farm, but wanna get as much riding as possible while I's here! I gotta say you can't never beat the riding out here! A true 365 days of riding! And for the bike, I do agree a big bike would be nicer for my intentions. I mean them bugs! How annoying. Although I reckon a nice sized winshield on a Dyna will greatly reduce them as a problem. I think if a Dyna be set up properly for touring, then it'll do fine for me. But then if I can find a bigger touring oryanted machine, then hell it'll be nice! And thanks no worries, your a real southerner obviously and it don't bother me a bit, only if some city boy is putting down people from the country or south and such and doing it to be funny, I don't take to that. But stuff the thats funny! A couple of my friends from the rural deep south, actually right and talk pretty much like that, maybe a little exaggerated but still! Good translattions simple!

CoreyMoCo1 yea its true thats what they was designed for, and by the way I love your Road Glide!

zeus33, you sure do have a good point there! The real hard thing is though, but limited budget's limit isn't quite so determined yet. I could be able to spend anywhere from $5,500 all the way to possibly $10,000 if things is workin out by then! HOpefully closer to the latter. BUT, another factor is time, I mean if I save for a good while [after the summer], then I'm sure I could get together close to $10,000 ether way, if its gonna be the bike I really will love. But if the Dyna will cut it fine, then having some left over for trips would be a plus!

So thanks to all y'all for the responses. This heres the longest post I ain't never written! I just did it actually in like a few days Every day respond to a few. Worked well, and I like it being able to have all this info. And I love all the responses, unlike the other threads with barley 3 responses with a few words! This is very helpful. So it will likely come down to be between a Dyna, and a Road King, with a bit of a possibility of a Electra if Moneys a workin well. I'll keep y'all posted, and if anybody has anything else to add or respond back to be, I'd love to heer it!

Old 03-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Brian6325
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Last year I bought my first Harley, a 2002 Super Glide with 11600 miles on it. It came as you see it in the pic in my signature, you can't see but it also has Vance and Hines pipes on it. It was just under 7k with tax and title. I am very happy with it, and I put 6500 miles on it last year. I also took it across PA on a four day road trip that was over 800 miles. Most of that was in two days, and I had no problems at all with comfort. This year I do want to take it on another multi day trip, I am thinking about the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC. I would recomend a Dyna, I really do enjoy mine. I have had four rice burners before this bike, including a Yamaha Roadstar, and this is by far my favorite! I do want to upgrade to a Touring bike, most likely and Ultra That is a few years down the road, but until then I will keep enjoying my Dyna.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

Power - to - Weight

Love my DD- rode a 7hr leg road trip last Spring- there were times I didn't feel I was riding.

Things that bugged me a little have been corrected, my last mod was a C&C Sport Tour 2 up seat- that's all I need for the next multi-state tour.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:23 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by krusty1
My dyna is great for solo touring. Just ain't big enough for me and the OL for touring. Nothing HD makes handles the twisties better than an FXD.
I cut my teeth on a '92 FXRP, and I think the Dyna is the decendent of that bike. Loved that bike. Graduated to a '99 Road King-one hell of step up! In 2008, though, I finally made to the big league-the ElectraGlide. Y'all can talk Dyna's, Heritage Specials, Fat Boys etc. etc., but the big boy on the block is the ElectraGlide. I will take my Stage II Ultra or stock '08 FLHTP 103 against a COMPARABLY set up above named model and smoke your a--! It's all good, Krusty. Ride safe.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:34 PM
magforce
Cruiser

I ride a 07 lowrider me and the wife at 80 all day on the freeway no problem!