Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna or other for touring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:32 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a good look at the Road King. One bike that can do it all with style & panache.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 PM
eng23ine
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first Harley (owned metrics before that) was a '95 Dyna lowrider.....LOVED the way it handled, but it just wasn't big enough for long trips (600 mi each way, 2 up)so I sold it and got an '07 streetglide with a quick detach tour pak and its exactly what the Dr. ordered.
Me and the OL went to Key West and back on it last August....9 days total on the road 2200 mi round trip.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:01 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It isn't that my 2010 Superglide hasn't got plenty of power and torque for two-up touring...it just flat out isn't large enough to comfortably seat two large people for all day rides....let alone carry enough stuff for multi-day extended touring by two people. Solo touring is great...I've done many many all day rides (at least one of around 600 miles)' in complete comfort on the dyna, but for two up I like a big bike (like my Valk).

When I do overnighters on the dyna I just throw a good sized T- bag on the pilion seat...it brings the weight forward, and doesn't clutter up the bike with saddlebags. Part of the appeal of the FXD is its clean simplicity....plus it handles the twisties like a dream. The dynas are HD at its purest level...without a bunch of bagger clap-trap.....pure HD function.
Great power to weight ratio, easy to work on (it's all right out there), and easy to keep clean.

Last edited by krusty1; 03-07-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:20 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For touring it's hard to beat an ElectraGlide, but your budget might not stand that. If you look around though, a Road King might just be the ticket for you. Something from late 90's-early 2000's, well maintained and not highly modified would be a great first Harley. Our police Road Kings were pretty bullet proof, and if you post on here asking about a specific year/engine (evo or 88 ci for example) you'll get a lot of helpful advice on what to check and potential maintenance and repair issues.

The RK has advantage over the Dyns in hard saddle bags and more comfortable seating for two up, depending on how you configure it. It's probably a more flexible platform for what you described you'll be doing with it. Good luck in your search! Ride safe.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:24 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Hope I didn't make an "oops" here-don't know if any of the older RK's came with the EVO or just the 88. All our RK's had 88's, but we ran 1992 FXRP's up until 1998 when we replaced the fleet with '99 RK's.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:33 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by krusty1
It isn't that my 2010 Superglide hasn't got plenty of power and torque for two-up touring...it just flat out isn't large enough to comfortably seat two large people for all day rides....let alone carry enough stuff for multi-day extended touring by two people. Solo touring is great...I've done many many all day rides (at least one of around 600 miles)' in complete comfort on the dyna, but for two up I like a big bike (like my Valk).

When I do overnighters on the dyna I just throw a good sized T- bag on the pilion seat...it brings the weight forward, and doesn't clutter up the bike with saddlebags. Part of the appeal of the FXD is its clean simplicity....plus it handles the twisties like a dream. The dynas are HD at its purest level...without a bunch of bagger clap-trap.....pure HD function.
Great power to weight ratio, easy to work on (it's all right out there), and easy to keep clean.
Krusty1-Bagger claptrap??? Really? I'll meet you on my Ultra Stage II GeezerGlide and let you play a litle "follow the leader"! Bagger claptrap my a--! (:

Ride safe Brother

Old 03-07-2012, 12:45 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PghCycle24
Krusty1-Bagger claptrap??? Really? I'll meet you on my Ultra Stage II GeezerGlide and let you play a litle "follow the leader"! Bagger claptrap my a--! (:

Ride safe Brother
Back at ya!

I'll let you play follow the leader to my Valkyrie Interstate Uber bagger...just the 6 Cobra straight pipes alone will knock you off that Ultra!

It's all good

Old 03-07-2012, 01:48 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome to the forum from San Diego, CA, it's GREAT to have you here. I think a Dyna would be a great place to start.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:15 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master

Originally Posted by krusty1
Back at ya!

I'll let you play follow the leader to my Valkyrie Interstate Uber bagger...just the 6 Cobra straight pipes alone will knock you off that Ultra!

It's all good
Wait, I thought this was HD Forum. Oh, I get it LOL!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:29 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

OP, buy what you want. You asked about wind and power, there is no reason to worry about that. The Dyna will do just fine doing whatever you want to do.

There is no doubt the bagger-barko-loungers are more comfortable and come with more farkles. But you can take a Dyna cross country and not have an issue at all.

I use mine almost exclusively for long didstance runs. The only thing that is not available on the bike is cruise control. There isn't an aftermarket product either.

Some have mentioned the 6 speed. I'm sure it saves on fuel on the long interstate hauls. (although the bagger guys I travel with are looking for fuel before me. it might be the 88 isn't drinking as much as the new bikes) The 6 speed isn't needed however to make interstate runs. I have a 2005 with a 5 speed and on a run from Florida to Sturgis I never had another bike pass me. I swear, never-ever. My 5 speed didn't cost me any time or speed at all. The guys with 6 speeds are turning fewer RPMs but they aren't using it for high speed cruising.

Look at my sig line to see the type of riding I do. Send me a PM if you have any quetions about a Dyna or if you want to know how my bike is set up. 15 minutesfrom cruiser to tourer and 15 minutes to strip it to a cruiser again when I arrive.

And to PGHCYCLE who said: "Krusty1-Bagger claptrap??? Really? I'll meet you on my Ultra Stage II GeezerGlide and let you play a litle "follow the leader"! Bagger claptrap my a--! (:"

Count me in!!! I will play follow the leader. How far are we going? I am old, broken down and bald but I think I can hang with you.

Ride Safe!!!

Last edited by Jonesee; 03-07-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Dyna or other for touring?